Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

4.10 wine(any suggestions please)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.10 wine(any suggestions please)

Well i just installed a set of richmond 4.10's in 99 formula. I heard they are supposed to be noisy but this is bad. When i first installed them they wined a little bit. Just put 80/90 weight oil in it with a cheap additive for the break in. Well i put about 30 miles on them till i bet on it. I raced my buddie a couple times with no problems with dr's. Now i just took it to the track and now they wine real bad like you cant hear the stereo bad. Took it apart and everything is with in check. But it is throwing a very strange pattern on the gears. Plus it makes a real weird clicking noise when it is on the lift and in gear going forward. Plus if you spin it backwards by hand with nothing but the gears and pinion on it, it makes the same sound just not as loud because it seems as though the drive shaft is amplifying the noise. Thanks for any help. P.S. which seems to be the strongest set of 4.10's for a stock rear that wont drowned my monsoon out.
Old 07-18-2004, 09:46 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

.ttt.
Old 07-18-2004, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Couple of things. 1st off, you are supposed to break the gears in for 500 miles. No abuse. The gears get heat treated and a slight forging process takes place during this time. 2nd, it sounds like your installer didnt set the gears up right. They can be quiet for a while, but if they were setup heavy on the toe, then when they stretch they get loud. Gears are trashed. You'll need to get a new set...make sure the pattern is perfect before you drive it far. I've had Strange and Motive...both are good sets...and I set them all up in my garage. Its not rocket science, its just that most installers dont care about getting them perfect.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:15 PM
On The Tree

ha thanks for the reply. i was wondering if anyone was going to reply. well my buddy sets about 3-4 rears up a year and they all work good. Mine had 7thousands back lash after some shime changing and the pattern it through looked good. The track just must of put a hurting on them in the little time that i had them in.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

The backlash isnt the most important adjustment. Its the pinion depth. Pinion depth directly controls the wear pattern and gear strength.
Old 07-19-2004, 03:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Break in is very important. I went through 10-12 heat cycles over 450-500 miles before I got on them, and I gave it a while longer before I got stupid with them. Pinion depth is very important. Mine came in at 3 ten thousanths. My installer was very happy with them. They are 4.10's and only whine very faintly at part throttle in 5th and 6th gear.
Old 07-19-2004, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default I Need Some Advise Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK I just got some Strange 4.10's put in on my Silverado last week and I dont hear anything from them at all unless Im at liek 65 or up and Im touching the pedal a certain way like when IM gong 79 and I just tap the pedal and its not that loud it could be mistaken for the new tires! Is this normal or will it get worse? I had them professionaly installed so Im thinking its just part of having the 4.10's so what do you guys think?
Old 07-19-2004, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

Ya the strange thing with mine were when i first got them installed and we were running it on the lift you could hear a fairly loud banging noise. It sounded like it was coming from the drive shaft. We were wrong, when i took it apart the second time when it started sounding real bad, if you were to spin the the assembily backwards you could hear like gears meshing together wrong which i think might haft to do with the pinion depth i guess. In the end i guess i will just throw a new set of gears in it correctly and break them in. Thanks for the replys.
Old 07-21-2004, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had a set of richmonds that would show a different pattern depending on where you
checked them on the ring gear.Checked all runout of components and came to the conclusion it was a shitty ring gear.And no it was not cocked on the carrier,back
of ring gear was dressed on surface plate,checked for burrs etc. Poor quality control on their end and they would not addmit it.Put in a set of motives and they set right up.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:27 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TigerFan187
OK I just got some Strange 4.10's put in on my Silverado last week and I dont hear anything from them at all unless Im at liek 65 or up and Im touching the pedal a certain way like when IM gong 79 and I just tap the pedal and its not that loud it could be mistaken for the new tires! Is this normal or will it get worse? I had them professionaly installed so Im thinking its just part of having the 4.10's so what do you guys think?
Normal.