Sponsored by:

need help with oil pump/timing chain installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 12:37 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with oil pump/timing chain installation

hey everyone,

I installed my cam a bit ago and I am trying to drop the oil pan so i can install my timing chain and a new oil pump, but i cant seem to get all the bolts. Am i doing something wrong.

I am really debating on not changing out my timing chain, b/c this is a pain. My car has 53,000 mi on it and i am putting in a 220/216 in my car.

thanks ahead
Old 07-24-2004, 01:53 AM
Launching!

well i was able to get all the bolts, i think i just needed a break. Yet, now i have ran into another problem (bigger problem). I was trying to pry the oil pan down but it wouldnt budge and somehow i accidentaly slipped and part of the black ring (possibly o-ring) that surrounds the oil pan was severed. It is all still there, but it is just be cut.

What should i do? I cant get this oil pan off

thanks again
Old 07-24-2004, 02:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Now that the gasket is severed you need to remove the pan and change it otherwise you'll have an oil leak.
Old 07-24-2004, 02:28 AM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Don't pry the pan down...

Take loose all pan bolts, one is hidden close to the oil filter location under the plastic dust shield. Also the two bottom transmission bolts need to be loosened, but do not remove them leave just enough thread to hold the rear of the pan up (this will give you more room at the front than just removing them completely)

Depending on where the gasket is cut you can prob just seal it with a blob is silicone and be just fine.
Old 07-24-2004, 02:36 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by -Joseph-
Don't pry the pan down...

Take loose all pan bolts, one is hidden close to the oil filter location under the plastic dust shield. Also the two bottom transmission bolts need to be loosened, but do not remove them leave just enough thread to hold the rear of the pan up (this will give you more room at the front than just removing them completely)

Depending on where the gasket is cut you can prob just seal it with a blob is silicone and be just fine.
So i need to remove all the bolts except the 2 at the transmission. That would be one of my problems b/c i just loosened them all and didnt actually remove them. The cut is in the front on the left side (while facing the engine) about and inch to the of the pickup tube.

thanks
Old 07-24-2004, 02:38 AM
Launching!

Forgot to ask. How many total bolts will there be to. I cant think of 10 that i had to loosen and that is not counting the 2 that i had already removed when taking the front cover off.

thanks again
Old 07-24-2004, 02:47 AM

I think there is 10 that go into the block, 2 more from the pan into the timing cover, and 2 long bolts that go into the rear cover. (2 small bolts holding on the two plastic dust covers...one by starter, one by oil filter) Then you have the 2 transmission bolts. Remove all completely other than the 2 transmission bolts, leave them about 1/2 way in.
Old 07-24-2004, 02:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

What Joseph said
Old 07-24-2004, 03:04 AM
Launching!

thanks guys, i think i am going to finish this tomorrow and hopefully be able to get some of the valve springs done too.

Oh, what do you think about the gasket? do i need a new one?

thanks again
Old 07-24-2004, 03:06 AM

If the cut part is where it seals against the timing cover, then just use some good black silicone. Some ppl seal the whole gasket with silicone in that area anyways. I don't usually, but pulled apart many that already have been and they weren't leaking, lol.
Old 07-24-2004, 03:10 AM
Launching!

thanks,

and i appreciate all the help
Old 07-24-2004, 07:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Maybe I'm a little backwards, but I completely removed the two horizontal larger bolts at the back and only loosened all the small bolts. Makes it easier to go back together if you don't take the little ones all the way out. The pan doesn't move more than 1/2" because of the K member so there is really no need to take the bolts all the way out. Also, I used a trick I learned on this forum to hold the pickup tube bolt with safety/lock wire pliers and some lockwire twisted around the bolt under the bolt head. Left the bolt on the pliers to help with the reinstall.

Thanks,
Glenn