Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pacesetter install today

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 12:37 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pacesetter install today

Did my headers today. I don't know if it was from reading all the horror stories on here or what but I thought it went fairly easy. Had to shave the tab on the block and the Y-pipe took some sweet talking ( beating on it cussing) but got everything together relatively easy. Definately reading the tips and install experiences on here helped big time. I basically new what to do to every little snag that popped up.
Finished result. Drove it up and down the road a few times and thought it was awesome. I just have a flowmaster catback but I thought it sounded great. I'm really wanting to take it out with the cutout open and open it up once. I just want to open it up so I can pull up next to a Harley rider and drown him out like they always do me when I'm in the truck.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

congrats, i am about to order my headers. what all did you have to order to compleat the install? (o2 sims/extensions etc?)
Old 07-26-2004, 02:49 AM
Launching!

Thanks, I ordered 12" O2 extensions,stage 8 locking header bolts, and stainless 3" band clamps. I ordered 3 band clamps because I figured 1 for each header and 1 for the Y to I-pipe connection. Wrong, the Y was in 2 pieces. Never thought of that so I was a band clamp short. The Y comes with U-bolts so I used one of those to piece the Y together but I'm gonna order another band clamp because they're 100x better than a U-bolt.
Just take your time and have a couple buddies help you. I had one friend that did small stuff like take the A.I.R. pump out and handed tools to me and another friend and was a huge help. The tool bitch is a handy thing to have so you don't have to keep climbing in and out from under the car. I took it out yesterday with the cutout uncapped running staight headers and WOW!!! is all I can say. I'm definately getting an e-cutout so I can do that whenever I want. Good luck on your install.
Old 07-26-2004, 03:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you delete the rear o2's with this install? Where did u order the clamps and bolts and o2 extensions from and how much? Did you reuse your stock gaskets and whatnot else? What else do u think is need for this install?

Thanks
Old 07-26-2004, 03:19 AM
Launching!

I guess I forgot about the gaskets. I went to a dealership and got new OEM header gaskets at the last minute but probably could've reused my old ones because they weren't in bad shape at all. I did reuse the air gaskets and EGR gasket for the block off plates with a thin coat of hi-temp RTV sealant. I got rid of a.i.r., egr, and cats. I pulled the back O2's and taped up the connections then edited out the codes for everything. I got most of my stuff from ls1speed ( clamps and whatnot) but napa sells the clamps and ended up getting some stuff from texas-speed. The clamps were ~$10 each but well worth the money, they're tons better than U-bolts. The locking bolts are probably not worth much but piece of mind and attention to detail. I wanted to do everything right the first time and think I did. If you don't have a sawzall borrow or buy one because it came in really handy to get the old stuff out.
Old 07-26-2004, 08:52 AM
On The Tree

Glad you like them are these the new style? I'm really thinking about this for my next mod.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:30 PM
Launching!

Yeah, these were the new style.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:28 PM
On The Tree

I ordered my headers and true duals from Texas Speed on tues and hope my install goes as smooth. I do have to wait on the headers for a week because I got the race style, they have the others in stock.

True duals....can't wait! -see ya slowmaster
Old 07-30-2004, 01:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

ya i ordered the same thing (along with some other goodies) and i cannot wait to get them...
Old 07-30-2004, 01:29 AM
Launching!

If you don't have a 10mm gear wrench go ahead and buy one now. It makes it tons easier and start off by taking off the back 3 coil packs on the passenger side. Just saves some time later down the road.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the help, i guess i'll drop by sears today, or does walmart sell them? anything else i should know?
Old 07-30-2004, 01:21 PM
Launching!

Wal-Mart has them I think. It's not a required tool to do the job but it made life alot easier having it.