Sponsored by:

Smog Legal CA Road Racing H/C Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smog Legal CA Road Racing H/C Recommendation

Hello To All LS1Tech'ers:

I am new the forum and would appreciate any of your expert guidance.

After mining the sight for the last couple of days, I am looking for some general recommendations on a pending upgrade for a 2001 Z06 that is used as a daily driver and weekend hobbyist road racer. What I am looking to do is upgrade the current stock LS6 to obtain more reliable rwhp and torque out of the existing motor without creating significant maintenance, reliability and smog issues. As I am only a hobbyist road racer, ultimate HP and TQ are not the issue, I just want more power than the current set up while still being able to use the car every day.

My thoughts are to utilize the following:

1. CNC ported AFR 205's
2. Some reasonable cam, 220/220 114 seems to be the prevalent recc, (how much lift and whose cam should I use?)
3. Any corresponding necessary upgrade to the rocker arms (if necessary), valve springs, keepers, lifters, pushrods, etc...
4. New ported oil pump (e.g. Katech or similar)
5. New double roller timing chain like the Rollmaster or similar
6. Ported throttle body
7. Blackwing
8. ARP head bolt fasteners

I plan on running stock exhaust and LT header currently won't pass visual and plan on leaving the bottom end stock until its rebuild time. I plan on running CA pump gas only. Dyno tuning will be done with the above. I am not interested in an underdrive pulley as on track days, oil temp is still 250. (It used to almost 300).

This will be the last phase of my upgrades. Car already has Ron Davis Radiator with integral oil cooler, AN 10 replumbed & relocated oil GM HP filter, 3.73 gears, thermal wrapped stock TI exhaust, T-1 bars, steel adjustable heim joints, new poly bushings and steel hangers, ride height adjustment and corner balancing, Sport Bilsteins, street/track alignment, Powerslot Rotors, Goodridge Lines, Performance Z Pads, Motul RBF 600, Redline D4 and 10w30, MSD Wires, 4pt Autopower SCCA Roll bar with brace, Sparco Seats and Harness and 5lb fire extinguisher in BK Seat Mount. Soon to be trans/diff coolers & 3 qt. Accusump, Exedy Dual Disc Clutch with Mcleod Adjustable Master Cylinder to be installed real shortly. I run Goodyear F1 SC both on the track and street to keep the suspension tuning to a bare minimum.

Car is fast and reliable. I just want it to be faster while still reliable.

I am sure you can all relate. As I said above, any help would be most appreciated. thank you all in advance.
Old 07-31-2004, 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Welcome ZO6er,you are on the right track,if you get the AFR heads just get them with .600 lift springs,get some roller rockers say Comp pro magnums,or better yet get shaft rockers say T&D"s or Comps.I would talk to some Cal. guys on the cam maybe Tony Mamo@ AFR as they are selling cams to go with the heads,I would go with more duration on the exhaust since you 're using the stock exhaust system .I would do whatever you can on the exhaust and still be legal.GM High Tech and Performance just tested a new 2004 zo6 and it ran a 11.97 bone stock, might like that cam ???Again WELCOME!!!!!
Old 08-01-2004, 12:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

I live in So Cal and everything I have is smog legal except for the LT's. Here's what I just had done this last week:

218/224 529/535/114+4 Cam
(Un-milled) Patriot Stage II heads with duel springs good to .600
Comp hardened Push Rods
SLP Ported Oil Pump
SLP Double Roller Timing Chain
SLP under Drive Pulley
Yella Terra Roller Rockers
LT Pacesetters with ORY (Won't pass smog but will deal with it when the time comes.)
2800 VIG Stall Converter with Trans Cooler & Shift Kit
78MM LSX Intake
Ported & Polished TB

If I were doing this all over I think I wouldn't have touched the tranny at the same time as the other stuff but I have to tell you this car is now scary fast!
Old 08-01-2004, 12:23 AM
On The Tree

thanks for the input. How about the Jessel's are they better?
Old 08-01-2004, 01:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a thought on the cam. I would reccomend and TR 224/224 112. I have the 114 and it makes awesome mid-range power and torque. The 112 will make for more power in the mid-range. My dyno is in my sig. On and LS6 block, with a good seat of heads, you can very easily make 410-420 rwhp in a very streetable and friendly package.
Old 08-01-2004, 01:53 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

drop in a carb legal blower.
Old 08-01-2004, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

I've thought of a blower but my tuner and fellow road racers all argue againist it. If I had the money, the hands down favorite seems to be a Katech 427, but until then I want to stick to a normally aspirated 5.7 LS6.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:09 AM
Launching!

I'd call Tony M direct and ask him the best cam option he offers for a No header application..

You got some very cool mods on that car of yours..

I think the AFR 205 heads, a mild cam even without headers should give you some impressive numbers..

224/224 114 lsa has been reported to pass emissions sniffer test and thats why I chose that cam.,....

Very stealthy...you can't really tell its in there from its idle or behavior..Nice power though..

Lift numbers around .581 or .588 (with the comp 921 springs) probably where you want to be but I'm just guessing..

I'm looking to throwing AFR heads on the car just for some laughs..and I have a baby cam in the car...Like I said..no one could tell really..its that mild..I wouldn't go milder ...

I probably wouldn't bother with the ported oil pump but rather an accusump system. I like that better for improved oiling..and its not that expensive...

Last edited by JBsC5; 08-01-2004 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:20 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

by the time you add the cost of h/c and bolt ons your at 75% of the cost of a blower.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:11 AM
Launching!

accusump better then ported oil pum...maybe suggest the 2 quart, with 24-270 electric value and a 1 way check valve so oil only goes in the correct direction esp of there is also a oil cooler or heat exchanger in series with sump.

The pressure gauge is good for then you can always look at it and know if you need to add more air into sump to have its airpressure at best PSI.

Sounds like your enjoying the car..
Old 08-01-2004, 11:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Z06er
I've thought of a blower but my tuner and fellow road racers all argue againist it. If I had the money, the hands down favorite seems to be a Katech 427, but until then I want to stick to a normally aspirated 5.7 LS6.
hmm well if it were MY car, i'd give a damn less what THEY thought. thats just me....MY dreams for MY car are just that...MINE. hehehe...a P1SC kit would fit nicely under the hood, no? jrp, correct me if i'm wrong, but i do think that ati makes a c5 p1 kit. thats 50% more hp right there, with very little dependability lost. great kit, great quality. i'm going with either the D1 or the F1 when my time comes to go FI.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im in CA also and i have the FLP headers.... there are a couple of fun down smog shops that dont look for mods, just sniff and run....
those AFR's are really nice! get some good dual springs...
your list looks good, as far as cam we talked to COMPs head of LS1 development
and he told us to run a 222/224 .566/.568 114
ill tell ya that cam kicks ***! it really kicks in around 3K and pulls HARD to redline!
it never stops pulling! there is a little low speed surging and a nice lope, (but thats un-tuned) im sure it will drive better and pull harder after tuning! but that should be a great CA cam!
and with the HIGH LIFT LOBES they are real easy on valve springs!

your on the right path!