Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Is my rear shot?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 06:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my rear shot?

I noticed a noise coming from my rear yesterday. After a couple of highway sprints, I was slowing down to pull into a gas station and happened to turn the radio down and I hear this clicking(metal on metal) type sound coming from the rear of the car. I got out and checked and nothing is rubbing etc on the exterior of the car. I have noticed that the sound fluctuates under load when I am driving. It's also not the usual gear whine I have had with my 4.10's. Also it seems to have gotten louder this morning on the way to work.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:09 AM
On The Tree

Hey Bro I Had The Same Noise From My Rear End And It Turned Out It Was My Pinion Bearing Had Gotten Eaten Up Maybe Thats The Problem?
Old 08-09-2004, 09:28 AM
11 Second Club

Has the whine gotten any louder? It may be a cracked ring gear tooth that is causing the noise. Purely speculation of course. If you are in the Nam area I would be glad to take a listen.

Did you use a crush sleeve or a solid pinion spacer? If you used a crush sleeve it could have been crushed further and cause bearing preload problems. Not to mention this can cause the pinion to walk up n doun the ring gear. The solid spacer is very nice. I have one in my 9".

Brad
Old 08-09-2004, 09:43 AM
On The Tree

When I Took Out The Pinion Gear Along With The Bearing And Raise They Were Both Eaten Up Badly I Replaced Those And Put A Solid Spacer Between The Bearing And Pinion Gear Now Its Quieter Than Its Ever Been.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the whine has gotten louder. I sounds like it may be a broken ring gear tooth.
I guess I'll take it apart this weekend and look at it.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:20 PM
11 Second Club

A quik check for the pinion bearings is to grab the pinion yoke and see if you can move it up and down. It should not move at all. It mite have some play if you rotait it but it should not wiggle. I hope i explained this properly lol

Brad
Old 08-09-2004, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SquintzPallatore
A quik check for the pinion bearings is to grab the pinion yoke and see if you can move it up and down. It should not move at all. It mite have some play if you rotait it but it should not wiggle. I hope i explained this properly lol

Brad
I'll have to try that and see. It definitely got louder on the ride home this pm.This thing is roaring like a f'in freight train
Old 08-09-2004, 05:32 PM
11 Second Club

Sounds like it is on the way out then. 4.10's and a 10 bolt just don't mix. They will live longer behind an auto usually. Mine did the same thing.

Brad