Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TRex Idle Tuning On A4

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 12:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRex Idle Tuning On A4

Can someone tell me what I need to change in order to get my TRex that I will be installing to idle without fouling out the plugs. I am new to hptuners and I would appreciate any help I can get.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
Can someone tell me what I need to change in order to get my TRex that I will be installing to idle without fouling out the plugs. I am new to hptuners and I would appreciate any help I can get.

You don't really need to change anything for it to idle correctly as mine fired up perfect and find the idle almost instantly with the stock tune. I drove it for a week or so like that with no problems other than surging at low rpm's. Now with your Automatic the surging will be amplified as I could downshift or press the clutch in to keep it from surging until I got it tuned correctly on my wideband. The problem you will have is getting rid of the cam surge on an Automatic @ Low RPM's.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

You got it to run on a stock tune, I bet that was a ROUGH idle. Ive heard of alot of people fouling out plugs extreemly fast with that cam. Do you run this car as your daily driver?
Old 08-14-2004, 11:57 AM
TECH Regular

You got it to run on a stock tune, I bet that was a ROUGH idle. Ive heard of alot of people fouling out plugs extreemly fast with that cam. Do you run this car as your daily driver?

It runs pretty decent on a stock tune with an M6. It does lope a bit more aggressive with the stock tune as the IAC tables and Idle RPM are set pretty low for the stock cam. I bumped my idle up to 900 RPM and increased the IAC tables just to make it easier to drive in traffic. As far as driving it I probably drive in some of the worst traffic anywhere. It takes me up to 1 hour 45 minutes to go 35 miles to work down 85. I live up in Duluth and drive down near the airport everyday. It is like a parking lot most of the time. I drove it to work like this for about a week until I got my wideband so I could start adjusting things.
Old 08-14-2004, 09:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here is a dumb question. What happens to my tranny if I am decelerating and my engine dies while its in drive?
Old 08-14-2004, 09:51 PM
TECH Regular

Here is a dumb question. What happens to my tranny if I am decelerating and my engine dies while its in drive?
Just throw it up in neutral and crank it back up and put it back in drive.
Old 08-14-2004, 09:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MN6 and autos are TOTALLY different worlds when it comes to big cams and tunes. it isnt even close bro. a Trex cam could possibly idle on a stock tune with a 6 speed since there is no load. but with the auto, you cant just stab the clutch and rev it and slip the disc
Old 08-14-2004, 10:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
MN6 and autos are TOTALLY different worlds when it comes to big cams and tunes. it isnt even close bro. a Trex cam could possibly idle on a stock tune with a 6 speed since there is no load. but with the auto, you cant just stab the clutch and rev it and slip the disc
part of this has to be due to the idle rpms pulled by m6's as compared to autos...i know my auto had a warm idle rpm of 550 whereas i think m6's are set to 800...pretty big difference.