Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

s r t 4 w$6k in mods tries a turbo LS1

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default s r t 4 w$6k in mods tries a turbo LS1

Just outside of Kileen Tx. at about 1:00am I am getting on the highway and a loud *** s r t 4 flys by and revs at me. He slows down and we are going about 75 when I get next to him. I hear his rpms change and I drop to 3rd and we go. Its over almost right away. By 90 I put about 4 - 5 cars on him. He pulls up next to me and yells "does that have a turbo"? I'm thinking dude, you can see the turbo hanging down in the back. ( I have the STS) He wants to see it, so we pull over and he is really cool about loosing. He was telling me he can pull on a new Cobra and plays with LS1's. He has $6000 in mods and is running 21psi. His car was nice, but I will stick with my LS1 Formula.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:06 PM
TECH Regular

When I saw you only put 4-5 on by 90, I was going to tell you to get your money back for the turbo kit.

Then I saw it started at 75.

Good kill.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:25 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So how is that STS kit??????
Old 08-15-2004, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice kill. I love hearing NeonNeonNeon kill stories. Killed one with a Mopar Stage II kit a few weeks ago. Those are some nice numbers for your boost.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Nice kill! too bad you obviously made it up
Old 08-16-2004, 12:36 AM
Launching!

why do you think he made it up milla? Better yet why does it matter? Who really, honestly cares if he made it up or not? It's not like you will ever know or it effects you personally so why even make that statement? Unless of course you're just f*cking with him at which point completely disregard everything i just said.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
So how is that STS kit??????
I love the STS kit. I'm not looking to do alot of mods, and this is the perfect kit to bolt on, get a tune, and go.
Old 08-16-2004, 01:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by MillaTK
Nice kill! too bad you obviously made it up
like that time you ran a 9.94 in your Vette right?
Old 08-16-2004, 02:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

awsome, those cars impress me for what they are. A boy here has oen with an upgrade turbo and nitrous and rusn really goood. from a roll anyway and when it dosent back fire.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MakoLS1
...and when it dosent back fire.
Yeah, you ever see the STOCK exhaust on one of those s r t's? How is that legal w/o a muffler?
Old 08-16-2004, 03:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 5POINT7
Yeah, you ever see the STOCK exhaust on one of those s r t's? How is that legal w/o a muffler?
You don't technically need a muffler, per say, especially since it has nothing to do with emissions. How is the Loudmouth legal? You just have to meet certain emissions and sound requirements. Most cars need a muffler to meet the requirement/satisfy customers. The cats/turbo take enough volume from the sound I guess.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:14 AM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by Frontman
why do you think he made it up milla? Better yet why does it matter? Who really, honestly cares if he made it up or not? It's not like you will ever know or it effects you personally so why even make that statement? Unless of course you're just f*cking with him at which point completely disregard everything i just said.
He was messing with him. After all the Neon guys talking about how fast their cars where and how they could take a LS1.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:54 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
You don't technically need a muffler, per say, especially since it has nothing to do with emissions. How is the Loudmouth legal? You just have to meet certain emissions and sound requirements. Most cars need a muffler to meet the requirement/satisfy customers. The cats/turbo take enough volume from the sound I guess.

It's all about the sound levels. They don't need a muffler since it makes no noise.

My buddy has a TT IROC. 350, 4" exhaust, no cats. It's quieter than my stock SS exhaust was.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:28 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
Whats scary is this:
I live accross the street from CO state Trooper, for about 24 more hours anyway LOL. I was talking to him ata BBQ and asked him about whats illegal with exsaust. He said that anything that makes a car louder than stock is illegal, but its an $18 ticket that costs the state about $25 to process, so they dont bother unless they are getting you for other stuff. So virtually all of our cars are technically illegal.

And yet somehow that does not stop the sale of catbacks and muffler-delete pipes.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:31 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DMNSPD

It's all about the sound levels. They don't need a muffler since it makes no noise.

My buddy has a TT IROC. 350, 4" exhaust, no cats. It's quieter than my stock SS exhaust was.
The turbos themselfs can often act like mufflers. Same thing on my DSM. Its quieter than a NA 2L with full exsaust.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

what the hell did he spend 6k on? you could do every mod available for that car, refill the nitrous bottle everytime you get gas for a year, AND get the best rear spoiler/stripe/sticker kit money can buy and still not spend 6k modding a s.r.t. 4....
Old 08-16-2004, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=Sparetire] He said that anything that makes a car louder than stock is illegal, but its an $18 ticket that costs the state about $25 to process, so they dont bother unless they are getting you for other stuff. So virtually all of our cars are technically illegal.
[QUOTE]
So what exactly is stock noise? Because a stock camaro is louder than a stock camry, a stock viper is louder than a stock jetta. That's great when cops don't understand the laws they uphold.....it has to do with DECIBALS, and differs state to state, county to county, city to city......usually they will measure it on how far away they can here you from, a lot of places use a standard measured in blocks or feet or whatever. and no matter the noise level, it is(at least for later model vehicles that original had them) ALWAYS illegal to run without cats, even in states without emission testing.....not too many officers are gonna crawl under your car to check though.....
Old 08-16-2004, 09:27 AM
Banned

good kill
i think 6k in mods includes aftermarket wheels/tires, coilovers, carbon fiber hood and trunk lid, and then just some basic engine bolt-ons.
if you spend 6k in performance mods on a NeonNeonNeon4, and you dont have at least 450/450 whp and wtq, you did something wrong.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:35 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mmmmyfault
good kill
i think 6k in mods includes aftermarket wheels/tires, coilovers, carbon fiber hood and trunk lid, and then just some basic engine bolt-ons.
if you spend 6k in performance mods on a NeonNeonNeon4, and you dont have at least 450/450 whp and wtq, you did something wrong.
Good input...

Welcome back Myfault. I wonder how long they will let you stay this time.

Maybe, they will let you on with a short leash.

Anyhow, good kill to the original post
Old 08-16-2004, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

He didnt go into all of his mods, he was mainly amazed that my turbo was in the rear. A couple of things I saw were a bigger intercooler, intake pipe, gauges, exhaust.
He said he had a super sequential blow off valve, some kind of expensive boost controller and runs 21psi.
My car is not loud at all w/o a muffler. It sounds like Borla to me. My state, Tx, defines a muffler as any device that has baffles or chambers made to muffle sound on an internal combustion engine. Anyway, I had the car inspected last week and it was not even brought up.