Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

supra single turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 12:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default supra single turbo

not a kill i need input from u guys tho. what is my chances against a 94 supra mods single turbo, intake, and exhaust. i saw the car tonight and it didn't have a intercooler i asked around to see if he was me abou the mods but everyone says thats what he really has. so whats my chances of taking him if i race him. I know to go from a dig if anything because his turbo will take time to spool up. please help me guys i don't wanna race if i'm gunna get annilated. btw no nitrous and he put down alittle over 400hp on the dyno. please help
Old 08-17-2004, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

What size turbo and how much boost is he running? And also, he might have a side mount intercooler that you can't see from outside the car.

Honestly, I wouldn't race him with your mods. You probably dyno 325 rwhp compared to his 400 rwhp. You'd get raped.
Old 08-17-2004, 02:23 AM
On The Tree

tru tru i don't how much boost he is running or what size turbo every time i tried talkin to him he kept sayin i'd be a good race if you raced my friends 300zx tt its in the mid to low 13's. thought if i asked enough he would stop avoiding me
Old 08-17-2004, 08:09 AM
STF Veteran

Race him from a dig. That is your only hope. He will probably kill you from a roll.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You will take him from a dig until about 50 or so. Then you will get blown by. Don't even try from a roll. JMO.
Get a 75-shot, and take him either way.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Judging by your mods listed in your sig I think he's gonna walk all over you whether it's from a dig or a roll.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:40 AM
Launching!

If he has bothered to go single turbo the he has new intake and exsaust by neccesity. If he bothered to go single then he is beyond BPU meaning that he is likely putting 400 or better to the ground, and running some real boost, like 18 psi plus. Even with a 75 shot to you I would bet on him on a decent length race.

If he is telling the truth. He might be full of it. Its odd that he would not have a front mount intercooler if he went single turbo. Supras come stock with a great sidemount IC (we use them on sleeper DSMs) that you wont see. But when they go single, they usually go with a very visible FMIC at the same time. Its the logical way to do it, since that way you dont re-do the intake plumbing twice. So he might be ful of it.

As long as there is no money involved, just race the guy. Its about having fun anyway. Just do it safely.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:59 AM
TECH Regular

BPU supras are around 450bhp as far as I know.

Good luck, you will need it.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by apathy
BPU supras are around 450bhp as far as I know.

Good luck, you will need it.
I used to own a Supra (a '91) and I still don't know what BPU is. Please enlighten me.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:11 AM
Launching!

BPU: Basic Performance Upgrade.
A BPU Supra is 400hp-450hp and has basic bolt ons. So its got exsaust, intake, etc. BPU+ is I think all that and Cams, from there I dont have a clue.

You could say a BPU LS1 would be lid, exsaust, ported TB, SFCs, free mods.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sparetire
If he is telling the truth. He might be full of it. Its odd that he would not have a front mount intercooler if he went single turbo. Supras come stock with a great sidemount IC (we use them on sleeper DSMs) that you wont see. But when they go single, they usually go with a very visible FMIC at the same time. Its the logical way to do it, since that way you dont re-do the intake plumbing twice. So he might be ful of it.

As long as there is no money involved, just race the guy. Its about having fun anyway. Just do it safely.
This is the only thing I hate about racing. Even if it's not for money, shouldn't there always be some level of disclosure?

I don't necessarily NEED to know what the car next to me can do— but to deliberately misrepresent a vehicle's capabilities in order to fix a race... I think that's pretty weak.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by GA_Driver
I don't necessarily NEED to know what the car next to me can do— but to deliberately misrepresent a vehicle's capabilities in order to fix a race... I think that's pretty weak.
I dunno, I've always been a big sleeper fan myself, which is built around misrepresentation.

It would totally depend on who I was talking to. If it was some cool guy who was genuinely interested in what I had, I'd tell. If it's some jerk off who's going on and on about how fast his car is...I'd lie and blow his doors off. Bang his girlfriend too.

What is truly to me is saying you have things that you don't have in order to avoid a race.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:03 PM
On The Tree

i knew that he would take me up top but didn't know how ugly it would be. Now that I have an idea of what i am up against I will wait till I get the midwest 3600 stall with some drag radials out back. I run a constant 13.5-13.6 now with a 3600 stall and drag radials I SHOULD not will be at the high 12's low 13's. U think I'll stand a chance then?
Old 08-17-2004, 02:33 PM
Launching!

Who knows.

BPU Supras can get into the 12s very solidly, and into the 11s AFAIK. This guy could be
A) A mean **** making like 600 to the wheels...
B)A dumbass who got a single turbo kit but hasnt got the intercooler to match or the fuel system to run high boost...
C)A guy with a work in progress, creating a sleeper Supra...
D)A complete lying tool with a non-turbo Supra...

In the event of D, you win for sure. In the event of A, you loose for sure, B and C is anyones guess.

Edit: I forgot what you said about his dyno. When did he dyno at 400? Was before or after the single turbo conversion? If he is putting 400 down and you get the stall and some more power, you might be able to take him in a 1/4 miles race, though not from a roll. 400 to the ground from a single turbo Supra is pretty lame. That can be done with BPU stuff.

About sleepers: I love them. My Laser (1st Gen DSM) will be a low 12s macxhine that will look stock. My full 3 inch mandrel exsaust has a tip that you cant even see at night, and looks stock as hell during the day. Its quiet too. The LS1 3 series BMW I will build after that (which is why I came to this site) will look mostly stock, but thats going to be 400+to the wheels and a 12.0 or better car. www.vorshlag.com

But then too I dont go street racing ever. I just like classy rides that can humbly murder stuff at the track.

Last edited by Sparetire; 08-17-2004 at 02:43 PM. Reason: I forgot the dyno. DOH.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by myricekiller
not a kill i need input from u guys tho. what is my chances against a 94 supra mods single turbo, intake, and exhaust. i saw the car tonight and it didn't have a intercooler i asked around to see if he was me abou the mods but everyone says thats what he really has. so whats my chances of taking him if i race him. I know to go from a dig if anything because his turbo will take time to spool up. please help me guys i don't wanna race if i'm gunna get annilated. btw no nitrous and he put down alittle over 400hp on the dyno. please help
did you see the mod's the reason why i asked is because in street racing i learned that sometimes people are so full of **** it's not even funny. and about the single turbo mod i never seen that kind of mod with out a front mount intercooler im not a supra expert but if you look at all the supra's that have a single turbo mod you will see a front mount intercooler. get a good stall and a 150 shot and spray the **** out of him.......
Old 08-17-2004, 04:06 PM
TECH Regular

If I were you, I'd just race. So many of you guys make racing out to be this big nervous endeavor that is important to everybody.

Just run em. Win or lose, who cares. Grab a beer afterwards. You'll enjoy it a lot more, win or lose, than setting up a stupid street race with a bunch of drama around it.

Jebus Crike, you'd think a bunch of ladies were on this board acting like men. Sack up, son!
Old 08-17-2004, 05:25 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If no money's on the line, just race.
Try to make sure nobody's filming it though .
Old 08-17-2004, 05:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Location: In the Keebler elves freg'n tree house eating freg'n cookies

If I were you, I'd just race. So many of you guys make racing out to be this big nervous endeavor that is important to everybody.

Just run em. Win or lose, who cares. Grab a beer afterwards. You'll enjoy it a lot more, win or lose, than setting up a stupid street race with a bunch of drama around it.

Jebus Crike, you'd think a bunch of ladies were on this board acting like men. Sack up, son!

One word...hilarious.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just race him . Like said above, win or lose afterwards go grab a beer and bs. Besides, if you do lose it will only make the mod bug bite harder
Old 08-17-2004, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

It would totally depend on who I was talking to. If it was some cool guy who was genuinely interested in what I had, I'd tell. If it's some jerk off who's going on and on about how fast his car is...I'd lie and blow his doors off. Bang his girlfriend too.
Agreed.

What is truly to me is saying you have things that you don't have in order to avoid a race.
VERY much agreed.