Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shorty Headers ?, I Know..I Know...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 12:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Location: In the Keebler elves freg'n tree house eating freg'n cookies
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shorty Headers ?, I Know..I Know...

After I drop in my new TC I was thinking about some shorties purely for sound and engine bay aesthetics. I live in Cali and LTs will cause me lots of problems, but I'm willing to push the limits as much as I can. Once upon a time I straight piped my loudmouth on stock manifolds and it was TOO damn loud. Now, if I run shorties with cats and the LM will it be just as loud as straight pipe or a little more controlled? It would be nice to have a bit more rumble up front.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:16 PM
12 Second Club

I just did a shorty install a week ago. The sound did not change. I still run stock cats through stock Y and a GMMG. I did notice some more low end torque but as far as sound goes it was the same as it was with stock manifolds.
Hope that helps!
Old 08-17-2004, 01:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by xxtinktFormula
After I drop in my new TC I was thinking about some shorties purely for sound and engine bay aesthetics. I live in Cali and LTs will cause me lots of problems, but I'm willing to push the limits as much as I can. Once upon a time I straight piped my loudmouth on stock manifolds and it was TOO damn loud. Now, if I run shorties with cats and the LM will it be just as loud as straight pipe or a little more controlled? It would be nice to have a bit more rumble up front.
I would at least get mids.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran JBA shorties for a couple of years, quality product. They look great in the engine bay, infact they looked as good as my Jet Hots do now. You won't gain much from them if you have a 2000+ F body. What you can do is get Mufflex straight pipes that replace the cats and you can shift back and forth as needed and it's all fast bolt on. With the Mufflex pipes on figure 15 RWHP, you can definitely tell the difference.
Old 08-17-2004, 02:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Location: In the Keebler elves freg'n tree house eating freg'n cookies

Yeah, in that case shorties wouldn't be for me then, huh?

Thanks guys. I shall begin my journey into heads and cam after the TC install.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:05 PM
TECH Addict

Shorties work just fine. I think there is a teensy weensy difference that people fail to notice in comparing shorties to long tube headers. The teensy difference is that you use the stock catalytic converters with shorties. However with long tube headers, that is not even an option. You have no choice but to use no cats, or aftermarket cats. And even if they use cats, do you really think they don't buy high-flow ones? It's comparing apples to oranges, as always. Somebody should post some shorty header stock and after comparisons without catalytic converters. I think that the results would be interesting at least.

And I noticed more sound with my headers....but I also put in a Hotcam...
Old 08-17-2004, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I noticed more sound with my shorties. Less popping and sounds more like a musclecar. It's deeper, louder and more addicting . I put a custom 2.5 inch y pipe with Carsound cats in also. I picked up 2 tenths at the track and 1 mph (with only headers and y pipe). Not bad considering I am smog legal, it sounds better and looks great in the engine bay. Mods in sig.
Nick
Old 08-17-2004, 04:13 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Another_User
Shorties work just fine. I think there is a teensy weensy difference that people fail to notice in comparing shorties to long tube headers. The teensy difference is that you use the stock catalytic converters with shorties. However with long tube headers, that is not even an option. You have no choice but to use no cats, or aftermarket cats. And even if they use cats, do you really think they don't buy high-flow ones? It's comparing apples to oranges, as always. Somebody should post some shorty header stock and after comparisons without catalytic converters. I think that the results would be interesting at least.

And I noticed more sound with my headers....but I also put in a Hotcam...
they make aftermarket catted Y's for shorties, as well people gut there stock cats. your point is moot.