PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shorted my PCM with edit. What will happen.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 12:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shorted my PCM with edit. What will happen.

Tuesday I was going to flash my car like I have done plenty of times and while it was downloading I moved my knee and disconnected the cable. Now my car will not do anything. I removed my mods and drag radials so they will not void my extended warrenty and towed it to the dealer. Today they called me and said that they are going to replace my PCM under some kind of emissions warrenty so I dont have to pay a deductable. My question is, is if my LS1edit is still going to work. I asked about my old PCM but they said they send them back as cores. The car should be fixed on Monday. What do you guys think? Am I going to have to send it back and add another PCM or will it still remember my VIN?
Old 08-20-2004, 01:00 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you've already made changes to the pcm with edit,it loads a security code into the pcm,and "looks" for it whenever you reflash again.With the new pcm the security code will be gone,and when you reflash again you'll see a message saying "pcm not supported".The shop version of edit does not send out this security code.You'll prolly need to send the new pcm to Carputing to get it working right again.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

buy the old one back, if you can, then you can try to get it reset. Where is RGV? if your local i can try it.

if not, your going to have to pay carputing $200 for a new license, on your own vin.

Ryan
Old 08-20-2004, 09:54 AM
FormerVendor

YOu will have to send carputing 200 to add the new PCM I know this drill all to well. The other pcm is a paperweight unless you can find someone to take the chip out and bench flash it. Good luck

The whole carputing fiasco was the reason i sold it for HPTuners
Old 08-20-2004, 09:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

<cough> HP Tuners <cough>
Old 08-20-2004, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HumpinSS
YOu will have to send carputing 200 to add the new PCM I know this drill all to well. The other pcm is a paperweight unless you can find someone to take the chip out and bench flash it. Good luck

The whole carputing fiasco was the reason i sold it for HPTuners
How did you sell Ls1Edit? I thought it was locked to your VIN..

Bill
Old 08-20-2004, 01:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you've already made changes to the pcm with edit,it loads a security code into the pcm,and "looks" for it whenever you reflash again.
That's not how it works. The LS1 Edit cable locks itself to a VIN and PCM serial number. If it worked the way you explained, if you ever have your PCM reflashed LS1 Edit would stop working, which isn't the case. Just trying to educate.
Old 08-20-2004, 01:40 PM
Teching In

Dam so I will have to send back my PCM or cable to them to fix it? I really cant be without the car that long. I do remember a friend of mine that had his PCM flashed to the lastest GM program and his cable still worked afterwards. Why would carputing do this. It is on the same car and the PCM will have the exact program in it with my same VIN when I started useing the cable. What do yall think?
Old 08-20-2004, 01:53 PM
Teching In

if the "code" ls1edit looks for is in the bin, you could reprogram the new pcm w/ the BDM port on the processor.

that would work, but edit encrypts the bins it saves.
so unless someone knows how to decrypt the bin, i think you would be SOL.

OR
if someone knows the code LS1_edit is looking for(cable serial num,"random bytes" ,etc) , you could edit it into a tuners bin(same year) and program that w/ the BDM also.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:01 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Bill Bowling

Bill
The person buying it has to send it to carputing pay 200 to have a new vin and PCM added
Old 08-20-2004, 03:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Windy City
That's not how it works. The LS1 Edit cable locks itself to a VIN and PCM serial number. If it worked the way you explained, if you ever have your PCM reflashed LS1 Edit would stop working, which isn't the case. Just trying to educate.
Hmmm...I had a reman. computer in my car that was tuned with a shop version of edit,which worked fine.When I got the "locked" version it would'nt reflash,kept giving me a "not a supported pcm" message.When I talked to Ken Kelly about it he said the area the code,maybe for the lack of the correct term,goes in had been erased and the pcm needed to be sent to him and repaired for the edit to work correctly.Now everything is fine.
Is what I'm calling "looking for the code",actually the edit looking for the PCM serial number?Do GM reman. computers not have serial numbers in them?Also if you did change computers,using same vin#,would'nt the pcm serial #'s change?If edit was looking for the serial,and saw a different one would it still work?....Would'nt seem so.

Last edited by IMKMFAST; 08-22-2004 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

I had to replace my computer because of burned KS pins. Wester's Garage sent me a new pcm. I contacted carputing and they said to send the cable back to them along with the receipt (from Wester's Garage) for the new pcm. They sent me back my updated cable and didn't charge anything. I think people get charged when they can't produce a receipt.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bill Bowling

Bill

you sell it for waaaay less then you bought it for, so they still are paying less then retail after they pay caarputing the $200 for a new vin.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:01 PM
TECH Regular

Bump edited 2nd post

Quick Reply: Shorted my PCM with edit. What will happen.