Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP per Liter - Why not HP per weight of engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 07:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HP per Liter - Why not HP per weight of engine?

I see to many people concerned with HP per Liter, when I think a better stat is HP per weight of engine.

This is one of GM's factors for sticking with the pushrod engine.

This leads me to this question. What is the weight of a crate ls1/ls6 engine?
Old 08-28-2004, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

hp/tq per CAR WEIGHT

period

honda boys can claim what they want
Old 08-28-2004, 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

I believe HP/Liter represents effiecency of a motor, while the weight of the motor has no real meaning. Now, Hp per lb of vehicle weight would be very helpful too.
Old 08-28-2004, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is what I'm thinking.... let me know if there are any faults in my logic here.

Honda and them make 2 Liter engines with 200 hp or just under for many production vehicles. Alright, that's 100HP per liter. Does that mean that honda could just as easily make - say a 5.3L with 530 naturally aspirated HP? No!

Two factors come in to play here.
First of all, a larger engine simply has more friction to contend with. The larger the bore and stroke, the more friction the engine must overcome.
Secondly, horse power is a product of RPM. You will be hard pressed to come across a production V8 - or even a large V6 that revs to 7500RPM+. This is because, in general, its much easier to rev a low displacement engine higher. It's easy to wind something up with a rotating assembly made of much the same material if one is, say, 50% lighter. Also, one must consider a lower displacement motor's relatively inability to make real off idle power..... READ: LOW END TORQUE

To sum things up, the power to displacement ratio must not be thought of as a linear relationship.

To sum things
Old 08-28-2004, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by felton316
I believe HP/Liter represents effiecency of a motor, while the weight of the motor has no real meaning.
Actually hp/weight of engine is a better calculation of effiecency of the engine. In terms of thermal effiecency hp/liter is more accurate. If you have a 1.0L engine that weights 1000lbs but makes 200hp/liter it wouldn't be a very good enigine since it weighs so much and probably has no trq to move a vehicle that could support a 1000lb engine. It would also probably be a very large engine if it weighed that much.
The dynamic overall effiecency of an engine is still more than just hp/weight of engine, since volume and center of gravity play a large roll. In terms of overall dynamic effiecency the LS1 is up there, it's light, has relatively small dimensions for a V-8, and it's center of gravity is low due to it's OHV design.

An area under the curve calculation for hp AND trq would be much better numbers to have.
Old 08-28-2004, 11:18 PM
Banned

Ah yes the age old question which motor is better...import fans will argue forever that the S2000's ratio of how much it displaces and how much power it makes while doing it is good enough. But then again the small block crowd will cry out while they are making twice as much tq down low with 3 times the displacement. The first group will never be satisfied until you show them how relatively young the ls1 is, and it's only getter better at it. So in a few years you could then start to compare apples to apples at which point you would produce a dyno graph of a 5.7L putting down 500 rwhp (588 bhp) which any algebra student can see that's a little over 100 hp/L.
Old 08-28-2004, 11:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No offense carvinta, but I think you are just plain wrong. It's not that there is not the technology to make a 500 RWHP N/A 5.7L. It has to do with the physics of an internal compustion engine. Much of which is explained by my limited knowledge in an above post.
Old 08-28-2004, 11:31 PM
TECH Addict

something I wrote on this subject while arguing this exact same point with the M3 crowd.

Originally posted by kbag

not really when you think about a 3.2 liter inline 6 with 343 hp and 5.7 liter v8 with 340hp. Also a 4.6 liter v8 with 400hp and a LS2 6.0 liter with 400hp. Seems to me that to equal the same amount of hp you have to have quite a bit more displacement and I feel that is a better indicator of how efficient an engine is. I do believe that the LS2 will get the same gas milage as the LS1 but let us not forget that GM uses the forced skip shift to get those numbers. I agree that the LS1, LS6, and LS2 are cheaper motors to produce. But I wonder why most auto manufactors have gone to the 3 or 4 valve engine. Maybe they are not as bright as GM.
There are many reasons for making a small displacement high hrosepower motor vs a large displacement high horsepower motor.

First off, efficiency. Hp/Liter is an argument reserved for Rice-Burners. Speaking of which my Rice Burner makes almost 200 hp /liter

Does that make my $8K sport bike more advanced than the BMW? I think not. The smaller the motor's moving parts the easier it becomes to make more power/Liter. By design it’s hard to make more hp/liter out of a M5 or LS V8 than it is to make it out of a M3 Inline 6.

The LS V8 series is more efficient than the BMW M5 V8 (I won't speak to the M3 since it's an Apples to Engagement Rings comparison...sorry, big event on the mind). But comparing the LS V8 to the M5, the LS is more efficient as it makes more power using less fuel with lower emissions. That's efficiency.

The reason GM does not use an OHC design on the Corvette is for the following reasons.

Packaging: OHC motors are much larger and heavier as the valve cover to deck height is much larger. This means an OHV motor can sit lower in the bay and takes up less room between the shock towers allowing the front suspension to sit closer in making for a narrower package. Additionally, less weight and lower deck height lowers the center of gravity of the car affording better handling.

Price: less of an issue on a BMW, more of an issue on a Chevrolet, an OHV design uses fewer moving parts that do not require near the level of precision of an OHC design. Fewer parts and less need for precision mean lower manufacturing cost.

Now the talk about power to displacement, anyone here would agree that the M3 motor is highly tuned and eeking another 100 hp out of the motor is about impossible without nitrous or a blower. Getting that same gain out of a LS V8 is very easy. There are stock displacement 5.7 Liter LS1/LS6 motors out there making 450 RWHP (530 crank HP) with modifications. (No, I doubt they pass emissions, but that's not the point). The point is by designing a large displacement motor with a lot of headroom you can use significantly cheaper and less durable parts. This reduces cost which allows you to put a high performance motor in a much cheaper car. Case in point the GTO and Camaro.

Technology. The idea that OHV is "less advanced" than "OHC" is not a valid statement. Both technologies are 80+ years old they are just simply different design executions given the compromises of packaging, cost and expected performance.

Why is the M3 an I6 and not a V8? Cost there as well. There is no V8 planned for the 3 series until the next generation. By launching the M3 as a Inline 6, 99% of the engineering work from a 330Ci to a M3 is already done. If they put a V8 in the M3, BMW would have to reengineer and test bell housings, accessory drives, charging and cooling requirements, etc etc that would get passed on to us, and we would be stuck with a $100K M3! When you also factor in the lower volume due to expense they would not be able to leverage the R&D cost over enough units and the business plan for the M3 fails.

If OHV is such a great solution, why doesn't BMW make an OHV large displacement motor? Answer, no heavy duty truck line. The Majority of the LS-series V8s that GM makes go into their light and heavy duty trucks so they are able to leverage that Corvette investment over many different models and further lower costs. The 4.4 Liter or 4.8 Liter X5 V8s would make sub-par heavy duty truck motors and BMW would have a hard time selling that to a general contractor. The Range Rover can afford the cost of a high-$$ lower output V8 as it's towing ability and ability to drive onto a construction site are not as much of a factor to a Range Rover buyer as they are to a Chevy Ford truck buyer.

Why would you want a small displacement OHC design over a OHV design? At the same displacement, a 4 valve per cylinder motor has the ability to make more power than a 2 valve per cylinder design. Displacement is the limiting factor here. GM designs’ it’s V8s to go in trucks, BMW designs their V8s to go into cars. As such, BMW is more concerned with the length of the motor more so than GM. It’s easy to fit a longer motor in a long nose Corvette, GTO or Firebird. It’s hard to do the same in a shorter nose 5 series. Because of that Bore-spacing becomes very important. IF you make the bore too large then you either have to dig into the cooling jackets or lengthen the motor to accommodate. Additionally you have to worry about crowding the combustion chamber creating combustion inefficiencies. The M3 inline motor suffers doubly from this since its cylinders are in a line. (That is a V-6 is half the length of an Inline 6, but much wider and therefore creates other packaging problems). So since BMW is more concerned about packaging their V8s into a shorter hood, they have to run a smaller displacement motor.

But I said above that OHV motors are more compact than OHC motors? Yes I did, at the same displacement a pushrod motor is smaller in height and top-width. A larger displacement is larger in length, and to a lesser degree width, assuming the bore centers have changed. Thus the M5 motor is much larger than the LS6 motor due to its huge plenum and large complicated heads.

Can’t you increase the stroke of a motor to compensate? Yes, but bore center placement dictates largest bore, and the stroke/bore ratio dictates power curve shape. If you get to long of a stroke you hit problems with thrust angle, wrist pin height etc, so you can only go so far before you need to look at other ways to increase bore to compensate.
And

Originally posted by NivenHuH

....(snip)....Why isn't technology / effeciency accepted as a replacement for displacement?

BTW, last time I checked, not too many cars were "designed for drag strips"... They're designed for road use..
Technology is, but when a person says that a Small Displacement DOHC motor is more "technologically advanced" than a large displacement pushrod OHV motor they are actually showing a lack of understanding of the technology in question.

A Pushrod OHV motor can be and today often is just as technologically advanced a Variable valve timing DOHC small displacement turbo motor. Why do I say that?

1.) OHV, DOHC, Turbos, Superchargers etc all are technologies that have been around since the 1920s.

2.) Manufacturers choose a configuration based on design and purpose.

3.) Technological advancement is measured on total execution.

Case in point, Z06 vs. BMW M5. Both have V8s that make at or around 400 hp. BMW uses a DOHC 4.9 Liter V8. The Chevy uses a 5.7 Liter pushrod V8. At first glance one would think the Bimmer motor to be more “technologically advanced”, but is that so?

• The Chevy motor makes more Horse Power and Torque.

• The Chevy motor gets better Fuel Economy (19/28 vs. 13/21) (Largely a function of weight, but also because the LS6 is more efficient)

• The Chevy motor has better emissions (ULEV vs. the BMW LEV)

• The Chevy motor is dimensionally smaller

• The Chevy motor is cheaper (you can buy one at the parts counter for $6K)

• The Chevy motor is lighter (Check the Shipping weight)

• The Chevy motor has fewer moving parts.

• The Chevy motor contributes to a better Cg. (Shorter deck height from a tighter OHV package lowers the Cg)

• The Chevy motor does a better job using less expensive parts

So What car do I think is more technologically advanced, M5 or Z06? M5 of course (I mean seriously you get 80% of the performance and it’s a 4 door!).

What Engine is more technologically advanced? The Chevy motor. It does it’s job better because it: creates more power, more efficiently while doing so with better fuel economy and emissions. It does all this using fewer parts, in a tighter package using less expensive materials at an overall lower overall costs.

That is the definition of “High Tech”

-Adam
Old 08-28-2004, 11:45 PM
Banned

Shoot that's one thorough post! Excellent description of weight and horsepower without quoting or looking at any hp numbers.

Originally Posted by derek_silvy
No offense carvinta, but I think you are just plain wrong. It's not that there is not the technology to make a 500 RWHP N/A 5.7L. It has to do with the physics of an internal compustion engine. Much of which is explained by my limited knowledge in an above post.
Possibly. And no offense taken. But if you look at when I say how much it displaces and how much power it makes while doing it.., I was starting to infer that larger displacement engines don't have to work as hard to produce the same hp as smaller displacement, higher revving engines.

Sorry now that I look back that might have been a mistake describing it like that...because it's one thing to talk about theory till the cows come home but it's another thing to put something into motion like GM did with the ls2 continuation of the ls1 which is now in its prime imo.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would rather go fast then SOUND like I"m going fast(NOT)Sorry import=small displacement,no torque guys!!
Old 08-29-2004, 12:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shinkaze
something I wrote on this subject while arguing this exact same point with the M3 crowd.

And
Again, very informative post and you bring up some points, some valid and some very valid. However I would like to comment on your last set of quotes, and I appologize if they are taken briefly out of context:

So What car do I think is more technologically advanced, M5 or Z06? M5 of course (I mean seriously you get 80% of the performance and it’s a 4 door!).

What Engine is more technologically advanced? The Chevy motor. It does it’s job better because it: creates more power, more efficiently while doing so with better fuel economy and emissions. It does all this using fewer parts, in a tighter package using less expensive materials at an overall lower overall costs.

That is the definition of “High Tech”
I believe one factor that has not been mentioned is the "exotic" factor. Whether you agree or not, much of the appeal of a 4-V DOHC engine is twofold:

1). The ability to breathe substantially better at the same time using higher RPMs, and

2). The sound of the exhaust, valvetrain, etc, that makes that V8 "shreak" or "scream", rather than "burble" or "roar" like our small blocks do.

Now, I agree they have been around about the same so "advanced technology" is not the issue, but "Potential Energy" is key.

In other words, the better breathing DOHC 5-liter of the M5 has 7500 rpm and 500 rwhp potential, without hardly breaking a sweat. That is an advantage IMO regardless of the known drawbacks. Because hp is just a number calculated from tq & rpms, has nothing to do with weight.

Dinan has massaged the current 5L M5 to 500 bhp, just with shorties, different length intake runners, and some A/F tuning. (Not even a cam!) But the fact remains this motor in modified-to-modified form could reach up there. Now when you consider it has less rotating mass, and revs freer than an ls1 for example, you now have a consumer engine that is closer to an F1 engine (or crotch-rocket engine for that matter) than you would otherwise.

That's where the "exotic" factor plays a role, in the known potential of the engine, not what it may be putting down in one version... So, with less weight/displacement it makes more hp while revving easier and breathing better. Maybe it does have something to do with expensive exotic materials effecting the weight of the valvetrain after all...

Sure, this is apples to oranges but FWIW DOHC engines own the high RPM segment...just look at the CobraR a 5.4L DOHC Modular Ford engine that dynoed higher than 02+ Z06's do FROM THE FACTORY (~380 rwhp to be exact). With some bolt-ons only they can develope well well over 450 RWHP, and with SHM cams over 500 rwhp and still drivable, because they have the best of both worlds at their disposal: RPM AND Displacement.
Old 08-29-2004, 02:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Carvinta
Again, very informative post and you bring up some points, some valid and some very valid.
Thanks I pride myself on my ability to ramble.
However I would like to comment on your last set of quotes, and I appologize if they are taken briefly out of context:

I believe one factor that has not been mentioned is the "exotic" factor. Whether you agree or not, much of the appeal of a 4-V DOHC engine is twofold:
well Apeal is more MARKETING than TECHNOLOGY. I have to admit the M5 apeals to more then the Z06, but that's not because of technology.
1). The ability to breathe substantially better at the same time using higher RPMs, and
This is the two vs one intake valve issue. here is the thing you can tune a 2V motor to make the same flow as a 4V motor for a specific RPM. However, because the 4V motor pushes higher velocities it can create a wider range of power potential creating better combustion. So its not so much flow as it is velocites can be maintianed over a wider range. to combat this the 2V motor has to be designed to make power over a wide range and thus compromise it's ability to make power at a specific RPM.
2). The sound of the exhaust, valvetrain, etc, that makes that V8 "shreak" or "scream", rather than "burble" or "roar" like our small blocks do.
Ihave about 5K miles under my but in a E39 M5 and yea it does sound great, but again thats subjective.
Now, I agree they have been around about the same so "advanced technology" is not the issue, but "Potential Energy" is key.

In other words, the better breathing DOHC 5-liter of the M5 has 7500 rpm and 500 rwhp potential, without hardly breaking a sweat. That is an advantage IMO regardless of the known drawbacks. Because hp is just a number calculated from tq & rpms, has nothing to do with weight.
yes and no. The M5 Valvetrain is so complicated that truely high RPM potential isn't really there because there are so many more potential points of failure. Additionally high RPM potential is meaningless. The Engine's ability to hold Torque over time (RPM) is meaningful so if the Motor can hold Power (Torque) into higher RPMs that would be beneficial but only if the curve is still increasing. a 4v design does give you a wider torque curve for a given displacement, so a 4V motor can hold torque better into a higher RPM range without sacrificing low end RPM. a 2v motor cannot because of the port velocity compromise I mentioned above.

That siad the best way to broaden a torque curve is by adding displacement and indeed an LS6 has a broader torque curve than a M5 (from my experience). but this is a function of larger displacement In spite of being 2V.
Dinan has massaged the current 5L M5 to 500 bhp, just with shorties, different length intake runners, and some A/F tuning. (Not even a cam!) But the fact remains this motor in modified-to-modified form could reach up there.
Dinan's numbers are at the Crank not RWHP. AS I said above I have a decent amnount of experience with the E39, and I can say that the LS6 and e39 M5 motor have similar potential. The M5 does it with 4V head design, the LS6 does it with displacement. The M5 motor is more civilized, but much of that is do to Chassis differences and mounting.
Now when you consider it has less rotating mass, and revs freer than an ls1 for example, you now have a consumer engine that is closer to an F1 engine (or crotch-rocket engine for that matter) than you would otherwise.
No, the Ls6 has less Valve train weight. However the M5 has low valve train inertia because it's a OHC design which does give it a high rev potential, but it has considerably more valve train parasitic loss as it's much more complicated. The reason DOHC motor apear to rev quicker is because they have higher port velocities becuse they use 2 intake valves instead of 1. This gives the motor a freeer reving feel.
That's where the "exotic" factor plays a role, in the known potential of the engine, not what it may be putting down in one version... So, with less weight/displacement it makes more hp while revving easier and breathing better.
The motor itself on a whole weighs more as does the valve train. Breathing capability is a function of port velocities and CFM flow. A OHV design can flow match a OHC design, it just can't match the velocities over such a broad range.

Maybe it does have something to do with expensive exotic materials effecting the weight of the valvetrain after all...

Sure, this is apples to oranges but FWIW DOHC engines own the high RPM segment...just look at the CobraR a 5.4L DOHC Modular Ford engine that dynoed higher than 02+ Z06's do FROM THE FACTORY (~380 rwhp to be exact). With some bolt-ons only they can develope well well over 450 RWHP, and with SHM cams over 500 rwhp and still drivable, because they have the best of both worlds at their disposal: RPM AND Displacement.
At any given displacement a 4V head is generally going to make more power than a 2V head,however That goes back to my packaging argument that a DOHC design weighs more and is physically large in size. The space taken by a Small Displacement DOHC design can be filled with a large displacement OHV design.

For Example here is a Stock 300Zx engine bay with a non-turbo 3.0 Liter DOHC V6.

Vs. a LS1 in that same Engine Bay

Or even a an RX7 Stock:

Vs. an LS1 in that same engine bay:

So as you can see Displacement has less to do with engine size than valve train design.

The counter argument as allways is "if Pushrods are so great then why doesn't everyone use them?" and the answer to that as I stated above is a manufacturer typically designs high performance motors as modified non-hi-po motors from other vehicle lines. For BMW their specialty is I6 and V8 passenger cars, so their performance motors are modified passenger car motors. Honda's expertise is I4 passenger cars so their hi-po expertise is in 4 Cylinders. Chevy and Ford have a heavy duty truck line so both the LS1 and 4.6 Liter Cobra motors are Hi-Po truck motors. Truck motors make for a good basis as they have to be durable, simple and over-engineered. This lends itself well to a motor like the LS1 that has a huge performance threshhold. Conversly the Inline 6 used in the M3 is a maxed out deriviation of a I6 passenger car design. since BMW maxes out existing motors we see these designs becoem very expensive to modify with very little hp/$$.

-Adam
Old 08-29-2004, 02:28 AM
TECH Addict

PS speaking of rev range, my Motorcycle has a 15,000 RPM redline... The entire valve train can fit in a can of Soda Come to think of it at 0.6 Liters the whole displacement can too!!!
Old 08-29-2004, 03:15 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Dragula
I see to many people concerned with HP per Liter, when I think a better stat is HP per weight of engine.

In response to the original question, the weight of an engine is rather irrelevant. The weight of the engine is determined by its construction material. For example you could have a cast iron 5.7 with cast iron heads and intake, and an aluminum 5.7 with alum heads and intake with the exact same same internals and very similar hp output, but the cast iron version would weigh almost twice as much.
Old 08-29-2004, 03:26 AM
TECH Resident

Honda and them make 2 Liter engines with 200 hp or just under for many production vehicles. Alright, that's 100HP per liter. Does that mean that honda could just as easily make - say a 5.3L with 530 naturally aspirated HP? No!

Yes, they mosyt likely can, however, it would be rather expensive and not real practical. Keep in mind, we have been building 750 to 850 HP 5.7-5.8 liters for NASCAR stock cars for years. Granted these run high compression, but they also use pushrods, 2 valve per cylinder heads, solid flat tappet (not roller) camshafts, and single 4 barrel carbs. Imagine if they could just use roller cams, and multi port fuel injection, not to mention 4 valve O/H cams etc. Also remember GM (and some affiliate) offered the ZL1 Camaro in 02 with a 600HP 6.x liter, for those that could afford it.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

I remind you that the larger the engine, the larger/heavier the internals will be. Causing more friction and lower #'s
Old 08-29-2004, 10:34 AM
12 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragula

In response to the original question, the weight of an engine is rather irrelevant. The weight of the engine is determined by its construction material. For example you could have a cast iron 5.7 with cast iron heads and intake, and an aluminum 5.7 with alum heads and intake with the exact same same internals and very similar hp output, but the cast iron version would weigh almost twice as much.
Actaully, I feel that the weight of the engine is very rellevant when compared to HP.

This ratio can be used to compare the worthiness of an engine. For example, If an LS1 had a similar weight to the Honda S2000 motor, which would you rather have in the S2000.

This is also prevelant in motorcycles, compare the old CBR 600 and CBR 900RR. Both had the same engine except for displacement. But HP/Lbs make a significant difference.

Obviously, the heavier the vehicle the less significant it becomes. (i.e. 100lb enigine in a 2000 lb car vs a 500 lb engine in a 5000 lb vehicle.)
Old 08-29-2004, 06:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SSactionLs1
I remind you that the larger the engine, the larger/heavier the internals will be. Causing more friction and lower #'s
WRONG... I can build a 454 ci small block Chevy that has internal components that are lighter than an equivelant 265 ci Chevy. It depends on the materials that are used to build the components. This is just one example, there are many others. Most of your smaller four and 6 cylinders have also had to add seperate "auxillary balance shafts" which in other words is basically another shaft which is attached to the crank (thus increasing rotational mass) to help smooth out vibrations caused from the smaller fewer cylinder motors. The reason smaller motors are more effecient is because they have to be. If not they would still be making 80 HP with 2.5 liters and no one would buy it. If there was a large enough market for high dollar high tech 100 hp per liter V-8's, V-10's, V-12's, maybe even V-16's, you would see them.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BOWTIE
WRONG... I can build a 454 ci small block Chevy that has internal components that are lighter than an equivelant 265 ci Chevy. It depends on the materials that are used to build the components. This is just one example, there are many others. Most of your smaller four and 6 cylinders have also had to add seperate "auxillary balance shafts" which in other words is basically another shaft which is attached to the crank (thus increasing rotational mass) to help smooth out vibrations caused from the smaller fewer cylinder motors. The reason smaller motors are more effecient is because they have to be. If not they would still be making 80 HP with 2.5 liters and no one would buy it. If there was a large enough market for high dollar high tech 100 hp per liter V-8's, V-10's, V-12's, maybe even V-16's, you would see them.
Hmmm, yes and no, a smaller less massive rotating assembly has less inertia to overcome and the smaller displacement makes higher volumetric efficiency easier. Conversly a 5.0 Liter M5 motor has more ancillary loss than a 5.0 Liter Ford Motor yet still makes more power due to the VVT 4V heads, so it circles back to design again. Speaking in generalities though a smaller motor with fewer lighter moving parts has the potential to make higher hp per liter in production ready form. My 600cc Honda Motorcycle makes 200hp/Liter in an $8,500 complete vehicle. I doubt GM could make a Natuarally aspirated 200 hp/Liter 5.7 Liter V8 (1,140 HP) in an engine price that is even close to the cost of my entire bike! That said (and back to my above argument), My Sport Bike motor is close to the physical dimensions of a Pushrod 1300 CC Harley. Lots of variables and packaging, cost and intended use are all the determining frame works.
Old 08-29-2004, 09:16 PM
TECH Junkie

A lot of engine builders and tuners like to talk about hp/ci because it represents how talented they are at what they do.

HP&TQ/LB typically represents a cars potential for acceleration.

Quick Reply: HP per Liter - Why not HP per weight of engine?