Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I cut off my exhaust today

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 09:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I cut off my exhaust today

As you may know im going to TSP monday to get some of the mods in my sig put on. anyways lubbock is like 3hrs away and i want to keep my old SLP Dual/Dual cat-back and really have no way of getting it back home. Plus i kinda wanted to see what it would sound like without a muffler. I cut the pipe just after it goes over the axle right before the muffler. it sounds pretty good actualy, I was impressed with it. the only thing is that under WOT when it shifts(A4) it makes this wierd clankin matalic poppy sound. I guess what im doing is no differant than if i had an opened cut out.

Once i get my car back i'll post some video of a stock internals bolt-on only car with headers, true duals, stall.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the same thing the other day. While I'm waiting for the cash to get the gmmg (and headers/ory) I wanted to change out the D/D muffler so at least it is a little louder than the D/D. So I cut the pipe at the same place you did, and ran it that way for a day just to see how I liked a really loud exhaust. With cats the exhaust sound is not that bad, but does sound a little unrefined and crappy. Now I have a Magnaflow muffler and it does sound very good. Even though the Magnaflow sounds good, I'm still going to get headers, ory and GMMG in the future.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

well theres only hangers on the ypipe and for the muffler, of course if you got rid of the muffler the pipes are gonna be hitting against things causing that sound.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:13 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by hourang
well theres only hangers on the ypipe and for the muffler, of course if you got rid of the muffler the pipes are gonna be hitting against things causing that sound.
I cut my pipe after the hanger mount it wasnt banging anything. it was still mounted secure.
Old 09-02-2004, 08:57 AM
Banned

Its amazing how quiet the SLP D/D is. I had it on my car when I got it and it sounded nice from the back but if you werent behind the car you couldnt even tell that I was coming, and we cant have people not knowing we are coming.

CMC
Old 09-02-2004, 03:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Hawkcmc
.....and we cant have people not knowing we are coming.

CMC

No, I suppose not. Though on a stock engine if you are not hitting the gas at all and the drivetrain is disengaged (ie you are idling while moving at speed) people may not be able to hear you no matter what exhaust you have. (unless it's open headers )

Whenever I go anywhere or pick anyone up, etc, they almost always know I am coming. Even from inside most of the time
Old 09-02-2004, 06:41 PM
10 Second Club

Yea, people can deffinatly hear me coming now . The headers and 3" duals are quite loud.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:46 PM
Banned

I get comments all the time from older hot rod guys that like the sound of my car. Hooker, ORY and corsa.

CMC