Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not a Typical Header Q

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Not a Typical Header Q

What do yall think or know what the surface TEMPRATURE DIFFERENCE is between say QTP's(stailess steel headers) and ceramic coated headers? I know both materials hold heat in the header for a better scavenging affect. I'm trying to decide weather to ceramic coat my headers or polish them, If the temprature difference is great I may ceramic coat my headers,My old car with ceramic coated FLP's was way cooler under the hood campared to my totaly stock new car with Iron manifolds. THANX IN ADVANCE.
Old 08-29-2004, 04:17 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LBCSS
I'm trying to decide weather to ceramic coat my headers or polish them, If the temprature difference is great I may ceramic coat my headers
Are you talking about doing ceramic coating on your stainless QTPs when you get them or doing it on a painted mild steel header?
On a mild steel header coating is highly recommended versus just paint but if you have a quality 304 stainless header such as QTPs it really isn't necessary...though personally I feel that that would truly solve all debates involving 'stainless versus coated mild steel' and ultimately be the best of all worlds.
Or it would keep TOO MUCH heat in the headers.
Old 08-29-2004, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

They are the QTP Quality 304 stainless steel. I hear you dont have to coat these headers also but I would like to keep my under hood temp's cool as posible and keep as much heat away from the line between mt MC and tranny,My old car was having Slight issuses with the clutch pedal wanting to stick to the floor after WOT runs.

Last edited by Oatmeal; 08-29-2004 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-29-2004, 04:32 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

They are the QTP Quality 304 stainless steel.
Ok, then coating them is not at all necessary...the one thing I dislike about coated mild steel headers is that in most cases the steel starts to rust and the coating ultimately flakes off, with the QTPs (no rusting) that flaking most likely will not happen and they will always look sweet.
Will the header then hold in even MORE power inducing heat and cause the engine bay to run even cooler yet as a result? Not really sure, but probably.
Old 08-29-2004, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
the one thing I dislike about coated mild steel headers is that in most cases the steel starts to rust and the coating ultimately flakes off
Had that problem before with my Y pipe on my old system. But the headers looked good still.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

What do yall think or know what the surface TEMPRATURE DIFFERENCE is between say QTP's(stailess steel headers) and ceramic coated headers? I know both materials hold heat in the header for a better scavenging affect. I'm trying to decide weather to ceramic coat my headers or polish them, If the temprature difference is great I may ceramic coat my headers,My old car with ceramic coated FLP's was way cooler under the hood campared to my totaly stock new car with Iron manifolds. THANX IN ADVANCE.

I've searched this alot when I was deciding on which headers... I could never get a straight answer from anyone but it seems that with either one you can't go wrong... I went stainless just cuz of the better material but I'm lead to believe that the difference between coated steel vs stainless isn't anything significant... Now watch all the people I wanted to speak up back then talk now...

See here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ight=supermaxx

Last edited by txhorns281; 08-29-2004 at 11:26 PM.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

TTTop
Old 08-31-2004, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone?
Old 08-31-2004, 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

One of the stainless header sites (can't remember which one, but I think it was QTP) had a comparison. The Stainless headers run a lot cooler than coated mild steel because the thermal conductivity is much lower for 300 series CRES.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're getting stainless, it's not gonna rust. As for coating, like JetHot, it'll keep the engine bay a lot cooler. As for heat transfer for stainless vs. mild steel, I have not clue.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The stainless headers should provide the coolest underhood temps because the heat transfer across the stainless tube walls is a lot less than the heat transfer across mild steel tube walls even with the ceramic coating on the inside and outside. The ceramic coating may have a very low thermal conducivity, but it's just not thick enough to help as much as stainless tubes.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanx for the Replys guy's, I think I'll just polish my stainless headers. I'll measure the surface temps of my headers with a Lazer thermeter and compare with another car with ceramic coating when I get a chance, I can always coat them later.

Last edited by Oatmeal; 09-01-2004 at 12:18 AM.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:23 AM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

I'll measure the surface temps of my headers with a Lazer thermeter and compare with another car with ceramic coating when I get a chance
Sounds like a good idea except that unless the cars have the same transmission and gearing, are modded and driven identically before checking those temps and weigh roughly the same it will be hard to determine that conclusively I think.