Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When is it enough?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When is it enough?

Two years ago, I had a set up I was real happy with. My stock shortblock was in great shape, had great oil pressure, and didn't burn oil. I installed a H/C set up in my garage that ran great, and put out the numbers I expected. I wanted to put the dry N2O kit back on, so I though an upgraded shortblock would be a good insurance mod. Since the shortblock install, I haven't seen the track once. I use oil and coolant. I have replaced the fuel pump, two sets of lifters, three sets of rocker arms, three sets of pushrods, and spent a ton of money to chase down a mysterious issue that won't allow the motor to make power past 6K. The heads did fine on the original shortblock. After pulling the heads this year for the lifter swaps, I see that the block surface has damage above cylinders 3 and 5. I'm not sure if it's sealing or not.
When does a guy cut his losses and call it quits? I've got a 2 yr old that needs a savings account more than I need a Camaro. I'd just like to find some resolution. Thanks for listening.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:07 AM
Launching!

i would say, get it running properly, make that kickass pass down the 1/4 youve been waiting for. Then sell the bitch and have some good funds for your kids savings account! Thats just me tho, i cant leave anything be with unfinished business.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:17 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the answer to what his problems are is in his sig. Its an ARE shortblock. Sure looks like new shortblock time
Old 08-30-2004, 07:25 AM
Staging Lane

For some reason its never enough!
Old 08-30-2004, 07:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by koolrayz
I think the answer to what his problems are is in his sig. Its an ARE shortblock. Sure looks like new shortblock time
I'm not aware of ARE issues, please enlighten me?

Is that AGOSTINO Racing? Canada?
Old 08-30-2004, 05:11 PM
On The Tree

I'm having the short block looked at next week. If it's the shortblock, what should I expect the vendor to do? I'm looking for input on a fair settlement for both parties.

How can it be proved that the short block is at fault?
Old 08-30-2004, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd say it'll be hard to get much out of ARE after the SNAFU they've been through. I've personally seen some pretty shady stuff out of them. I'm not going to get into what it was since it was a while back. I also agree its new shortblock time.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If the motor is 1-2 years old, I wouldn't expect much from the vendor. All you can hope for is some salvagable parts and someone who can actually rebuild the motor the right way. A man knows his breaking point, so you are the only one that can justify when it is time to quit.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:50 PM
On The Tree

What gets me is that unless this was a daily driver, or a frequent track car, how would I have know that the short block was garbage sooner than I did?
Old 08-30-2004, 06:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by max's dad
What gets me is that unless this was a daily driver, or a frequent track car, how would I have know that the short block was garbage sooner than I did?

I haven't heard the reasoning why you replaced the rocker arms/lifters/pushrods so many times but I can feel your frustration, I am in a simular situation family wise and often ask myself if the money I spend on my car shouldn't go to other things but I try to justify it by recalling how many hours I work a week and that I will give this car to my son when he turns 16 (5 years) and he wants it enough that he will try to do well in school and have a good work ethic. I cant afford a new short/longblock now so I am trying to save for new injectors and a new pump to feed my 5177 kit I wont put 10K on it over the next 2 years) so if it will hold together for 2 years it will be paid off and I will build a forged motor for it then.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ss rally red
I haven't heard the reasoning why you replaced the rocker arms/lifters/pushrods so many times but I can feel your frustration, I am in a simular situation family wise and often ask myself if the money I spend on my car shouldn't go to other things but I try to justify it by recalling how many hours I work a week and that I will give this car to my son when he turns 16 (5 years) and he wants it enough that he will try to do well in school and have a good work ethic. I cant afford a new short/longblock now so I am trying to save for new injectors and a new pump to feed my 5177 kit I wont put 10K on it over the next 2 years) so if it will hold together for 2 years it will be paid off and I will build a forged motor for it then.
The valve train parts were from..."It's your springs"..."Those are the wrong springs"..."Too much preload"..."Too little preload"..."Lifter bleed down"..."It's the Yella Terra Rockers"..."You need Comp R lifters"..."You need adj. rockers"..."Put the stock rockers back on"...
you get the idea
Old 08-30-2004, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

I'd be willing to trade back with my original shortblock, and call it even. Guess that's not an option.

Short block-$3500
R&R-$1000
Lifters-$400(two sets)
Springs-$700(three sets, seats, retainers)
one spring install-$250
pushrods-$300(three sets)
various gaskets-$300
dyno time-$900
rocker arms-$900(two sets)
and still counting...

Old 08-30-2004, 06:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Damn it does sound like it is a problem with the shortblock at this point I would do the obvious tests like compression and leakdown and see what shows up. All I can say at this point is to sit down and think about it, if you give in and just sell it would you be misreable with no outlet for the speed jones that resides in most of us on this board? Good luck to you whichever way you decide.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think for most people enough is enough when their car has more downtime than uptime or they simply run out of funds or interest.

Personally I would save up a few grand and send your car to a good tuner to be fixed. There is no reason that a car can't be fast and reliable ( if done correctly ).

Good luck,

Mark
Old 08-31-2004, 06:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mdhmi
I think for most people enough is enough when their car has more downtime than uptime or they simply run out of funds or interest.

Personally I would save up a few grand and send your car to a good tuner to be fixed. There is no reason that a car can't be fast and reliable ( if done correctly ).

Good luck,

Mark
Would you give a few grand to the tuner you originally purchased the short block from?
Old 08-31-2004, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you are"nt happy with the work they done the first time then I wouldn"t go back for seconds.I can feel your pain though,I broke a rear u-joint Sunday and thought ITS NOT WORTH IT!!
Old 08-31-2004, 07:21 PM
On The Tree

I think the tuner does good work. I just wish that I could be met at least half way on this. Sound unreasonable?
Old 08-31-2004, 08:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

personally i think if someone didn't take the time to do it right the first time, and didn't take the time to make it right after that, why give them the chance a third time around? no, there are FAR too many reputable, dependable, EXCELLENT shops on this board that are more then capable getting your car up and running in the fashion she deserves in a timely manner. not to mention, they will also work with you and treat you the way the customer deserves. futral, hpe, texas speed, thunder racing, just to name a few. i know i left a bunch out but i'm in the south so thats who i focus on(yea yea i'm biased). even today i got top notch customer service from AMS Racing, who stayed almost an hour after closing to help me get my T/A in to get repaired(blown rear main seal). I towed her from Fort Hood, where it broke down over the weekend to their shop in Arlington, near where I live, and they stayed 45 mins past closing w/o an appointment when I called 5 mins before they closed. They told me to expect a call tomorrow with some answers. THATS customer service. Not a fucked up shortblock w/o recourse or expectations of any.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

That's cool that they took care of you. I'm sure you'll be a loyal customer for life.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

thats not the point i was tryin to get across. my loyalties aren't the subject matter here lol. what WAS the point was that some shops DO go the extra mile to take care of their customers. and yes, i will remember AMS the next time i need a shop to take care of something for my car. i do most of my own work usually tho. i'm just sayin...why head down that path when there's already other proven options??

Quick Reply: When is it enough?