Sponsored by:

WARNING: LS1 Edit & GM Column Lock Recall Don't Mix

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 12:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WARNING: LS1 Edit & GM Column Lock Recall Don't Mix

Maybe this should be a sticky.

A word to the wise: if you have an LS1 edit program on your car and take it in for the column lock recall, they will reflash your computer and you will lose your programming.

If you flash your car to stock before taking it in, that does not mean you can put your old program back in after you get it back. Apparently, they change a sequence i.d. # when they do the recall flash. When you try to program over it, with the old sequence i.d. #, you cross-program the computer and the pcm will need to be replaced.

Once you have a new computer, you need to send LS1 edit back to get it coded to your new pcm. You will also need to upgrade to LS1 edit version 1.5, if you want to keep this kind of thing from happening again.

Note: if you have version 1.5 of LS1 edit, it won't let your "cross-program" the pcm. But if you have one of the older versions, beware!!!
Old 08-31-2004, 08:29 AM
FormerVendor

Another reason to go with HPTuners. I know this Edit fiasco to well since I has happened to me on more than one occasion
Old 08-31-2004, 11:24 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the column lock recall done at GM on my 99 A4 C5 and honestly never even thought they might reprogram the PCM but when I got the car back it barely ran since I had h/c and bigger injectors but I read the PCM with edit and was able to reprogam it fine when I got it home. I know they did the full recall since the column didnt lock anymore after I got the car back - on A4 cars its disabled completely.

Who knows, maybe its different with a A4/M6 cars or by model year or I just got lucky..
Old 08-31-2004, 11:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

what is this column lock your talking about
Old 08-31-2004, 01:34 PM
TECH Addict

Location: sojourning....looking for my city whose builder and maker is God.

Originally Posted by SilverStateZ06
Maybe this should be a sticky.

A word to the wise: if you have an LS1 edit program on your car and take it in for the column lock recall, they will reflash your computer and you will lose your programming.

If you flash your car to stock before taking it in, that does not mean you can put your old program back in after you get it back. Apparently, they change a sequence i.d. # when they do the recall flash. When you try to program over it, with the old sequence i.d. #, you cross-program the computer and the pcm will need to be replaced.

Once you have a new computer, you need to send LS1 edit back to get it coded to your new pcm. You will also need to upgrade to LS1 edit version 1.5, if you want to keep this kind of thing from happening again.

Note: if you have version 1.5 of LS1 edit, it won't let your "cross-program" the pcm. But if you have one of the older versions, beware!!!
If you had read the pcm after you got the car back from the dealer and then modified that file, you could have reflashed your pcm with no trouble.

Remember, you should read your pcm often anyhow and make changes to the read file.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:52 PM
FormerVendor

Are you sure it works that way? I have had no luck with even comming close to that when i was having problems with edit
Old 08-31-2004, 01:55 PM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

It is simple. The column lock fix gives your PCM a new revision of the code. You need to re-read your PCM anytime your PCM code is changed through an update. This particular revision of code isn't added to edit until 1.4-1.5 I believe therefore you will need the newest version of the program. This isn't rocket science and they mix just fine unless you don't understand what is happening.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Exclamation

What is the column recall? I have not received any recalls on my 2001.

Bill
Old 08-31-2004, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Nic00Z28M6
It is simple. The column lock fix gives your PCM a new revision of the code. You need to re-read your PCM anytime your PCM code is changed through an update. This particular revision of code isn't added to edit until 1.4-1.5 I believe therefore you will need the newest version of the program. This isn't rocket science and they mix just fine unless you don't understand what is happening.
I have version 1.4. Am I safe?

Bill
Old 08-31-2004, 02:57 PM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

It is for vettes only. I do not know if version 1.4 added the necessary revisions or not. You are best to contact carputing for that info.
Old 08-31-2004, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Why would you want to not have the column lock? Is there a danger of it locking up while driving? If not i'd still want it, harder for theives to steal, especially if they brave enough to try and tow it away ect. Now they can just straighten out the wheel.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:10 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Question

Originally Posted by Lady Redhawk

Remember, you should read your pcm often anyhow and make changes to the read file.
Why?

I'm just curious, because I've been using the same read file to write new tunes for my PCM for the last 23 reflashes or so. I really don't see a problem with this, but am I wrong? Why would it matter so long as your inital read came from your PCM?

Please advise.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Why?

I'm just curious, because I've been using the same read file to write new tunes for my PCM for the last 23 reflashes or so. I really don't see a problem with this, but am I wrong? Why would it matter so long as your inital read came from your PCM?

Please advise.
I have done the same for many months.

Bill
Old 08-31-2004, 07:32 PM
10 Second Club

wow, interesting info.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:47 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by SmokingWS6
Why would you want to not have the column lock? Is there a danger of it locking up while driving? If not i'd still want it, harder for theives to steal, especially if they brave enough to try and tow it away ect. Now they can just straighten out the wheel.
On a C5 the column lock is an electric solenoid and when it screws up (VERY common problem) you cant drive the car since you cant tuen the wheel. It happened to me 2 days after I bought the car, key in and you get an error message and nowhere to go unless you pull the wheel as hard as you can to break it or tow it to the dealer. If you try to disable/unplug it the car wont run. Column lock isnt going to stop a thief from doing anything if they really want your car.

On the auto cars, they figure since the shifter is locked, the recall disables it completely while on the M6 cars they put some updated parts in and update the code.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

Location: sojourning....looking for my city whose builder and maker is God.

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Why?

Please advise.
To make sure you have a good clean copy to work with. And to avoid problems like this thread is about. Files can get corrupt for many different reasons. Just good insurance.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:47 AM
Teching In

To answer the questions about the column lock, it is for the Vettes. The recall is performed differently on automatics versus sticks. On a stick, they reflash the pcm. There is a possibility of the column locking WHILE YOU ARE DRIVING.

As for LS1 Edit versions, Ken from carputing told me 1.5 is required for a pcm that has been flashed pursuant to the recall.

Did I know that I could read the program in my pcm and re-modify it? Yes, I knew that. But what a pain!!! I keep all my LS1 edit files on a laptop that is never connected to a network OR to the internet. I have several backup cd's and floppies - I do not need to worry about my files getting corrupted. I have extensive modifications done to various tables and several other settings. I know I can copy some of the tables in, but still, what a pain to do that if I don't have to.

Apparently, the GM internal memo tells the techs that flashing the pcm after the recall is a problem, but they are not telling the customers. Plus, how many of us are actually going to go into detail with the dealer about all the LS1 editing we have been doing on our cars?

Last edited by SilverStateZ06; 09-02-2004 at 01:10 AM.