Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just installed 02 sims, question

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just installed 02 sims, question

will it take the PCM a few miles of driving before it fully recognizes these? or b/c they are simulators does this not matter? i am trying to pass smog testing, and i was throwing a code, just hoping this fixed it, i will look up the code, i am sure that may help. thanks
Old 09-02-2004, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

here are the codes it was showing.
PO135
PO430

i already replaced the 02 sensor in bank 1, so the first one should be gone. but it was suggested that the second code was cause by my headers/high flow cats, and sims were needed. i need to get the car inspected as soon as possible, just wondering if i should drive it around some before taking it back.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:52 AM
Banned

If the o2 sims were the problem then it will probably take 3 or 4 times of driving the car for a normal amount of time for the ses light to go off. Or you could reset your pcm by pulling the pcm fuse with the car in the run position for about 10 mins and the putting the fuse back in.

CMC
Old 09-02-2004, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

another problem is i dont get a SES light, i think it may have been removed by previous owner even though he says it wasnt. either that or its burned out.

but anyway, i should drive it a few times before taking it back? guess i'll have to wait a few more days then, its supposed to rain here a couple days b/c of that damn hurricane.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

P0135 is HO2S Heater Performance B1S1. That is the pre cat sensor on the drivers side and is a separate problem. The sims should take care of the P0430.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah i replaced the 02 sensor on bank 1 drivers side, that should take care of the PO135, i was told.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

used the superchips microtuner i have laying around to scan for the codes, and cleared them. drove the car around for a while and scanned again, no codes this time. so i am hoping these mods fixed the code problem. also i had to replace me SES bulb, someone had removed it and never told me. so should be good to go with smog testing now.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by abadss
used the superchips microtuner i have laying around to scan for the codes, and cleared them. drove the car around for a while and scanned again, no codes this time. so i am hoping these mods fixed the code problem. also i had to replace me SES bulb, someone had removed it and never told me. so should be good to go with smog testing now.

Just a FYI, If your state checks readiness test you will need to drive a while for the test to complete. In georgia you can have 2 incompletes for 1996-2000 models and 1 incomplete for 2001+
When you clear your codes it also clears the readiness status bits in the VCM. These are indicators of each system's health status. You have readiness test for your EGR, EVAP, Catalytic, etc...
Old 09-02-2004, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok, thanks for the info man. looks like i might drive it to work a few days when all this hurricane mess passes over. then i will try it out. do those readiness codes come back based on time or mileage?
Old 09-03-2004, 12:11 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by abadss
ok, thanks for the info man. looks like i might drive it to work a few days when all this hurricane mess passes over. then i will try it out. do those readiness codes come back based on time or mileage?

This is a cut and paste of a document that I have on the GM drive cylce. The problem is it is very difficult to achieve in the 15 minute duration that it specifies unless you have a very open road.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
General Motors Driving Cycle
A complete driving cycle should perform diagnostics on all systems. A complete driving cycle can be done in under fifteen minutes.

To perform an OBDII Driving cycle do the following:

Cold Start. In order to be classified as a cold start the engine coolant temperature must be below 50°C (122°F) and within 6°C (11°F) of the ambient air temperature at startup. Do not leave the key on prior to the cold start or the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.

Idle. The engine must be run for two and a half minutes with the air conditioner on and rear defroster on. The more electrical load you can apply the better. This will test the O2 heater, Passive Air, Purge "No Flow", Misfire and if closed loop is achieved, Fuel Trim.

Accelerate. Turn off the air conditioner and all the other loads and apply half throttle until 88km/hr (55mph) is reached. During this time the Misfire, Fuel Trim, and Purge Flow diagnostics will be performed.

Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for 3 minutes. During this time the O2 response, air Intrusive, EGR, Purge, Misfire, and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.

Decelerate. Let off the accelerator pedal. Do not shift, touch the brake or clutch. It is important to let the vehicle coast along gradually slowing down to 32km/hr (20 mph). During this time the EGR, Purge and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.

Accelerate. Accelerate at 3/4 throttle until 88-96 km/hr (55-60mph). This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 3.

Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for five minutes. During this time, in addition to the diagnostics performed in step 4, the catalyst monitor diagnostics will be performed. If the catalyst is marginal or the battery has been disconnected, it may take 5 complete driving cycles to determine the state of the catalyst.

Decelerate. This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 5. Again, don't press the clutch or brakes or shift gears.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks man! thats awesome info! exactly what i needed to hear. i just need to do the idle thing, and maybe decelerate and i'll be good to go. i drove it to work this morning, mostly highway for about 15 miles.
Old 09-03-2004, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

evap took like 2 weeks for me. That p0153 might show up again. i eventually got tired of it after watching the cold start/operation of the o2 sensor on hptuners and disabled it. still passed. but do your emissions a bit in advance in case you get a ses and have to clear it and wait again. i know in georgia emissions are good for until you use them. i've seen my buddy have his like 10 months early and it was kewl