Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is that darn squeaking coming from??

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 10:15 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is that darn squeaking coming from??

This thing is driving me nuts. When I start the car I here a squeaking noise from the engine bay. It somewhat goes away when I rev up. However it only gets worse as the engine gets warmer. By the time I get to work, you can hear the squeaking pretty clearly (35 mile trip one way).

Today when I got to work, I decided to get alittle bit of water and sprinkle a little on the belt at the power steering pulley. Squeak went away. THen ofcouse once the belt dried the squeaking returned.

I've replaced the water pump when I first bought the car. That sucker died on me on my first dyno pull once purchased. Ran me $800 dealer price to replace (since then never did dealer work any further, I bascially grabbed my ankles on that, however do have a lifetime warranty on the water pump.)

I also replaced my upper belt idle tension pulley about 8 months ago when I purchased an ASP underdrive pulley. All it took was one day at the track same weekend and snap, broke the old pulley.

But I have no idea what the problem could be, if it is a problem. It's just driving me nuts when I am crusing around. I have a feeling it's the power steering but. . .just don't know.

Any suggestions on how to find the issue? Or could it be the water pump again?
Old 09-07-2004, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried changing the belt? You dampened the belt and the squeak stop. That should be the first place you try.

Next would be either of the idler pulleys and then finally your tensioner (again) if all else fails..
Old 09-07-2004, 12:41 PM
Launching!

Yea I have a new belt, well been 6 months with hard driving. Could be it. Think they only run $24 + or - so will replace it and see what happens.

Tonight (Depending on the weather due to the tropical storm approcahing, or what's left of it) I'll remove the belt and turn each pully by itself. See if I can cause it to squeak without the belt in place. I have a feeling it may be one of the other idler pullies.

Thanks man
Old 09-07-2004, 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The balancer goes bad alot of times. I had that problem. Then, a year later the A/C tensioner went bad causing the same noise. Yours is doing the same thing thousands of others have had. It's probably the balancer. IT SUCKS TO REPLACE!
Old 09-07-2004, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

It was my A/C that was the culprit. You'll track it down, don't worry. GL.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

put a new belt on...
Old 09-09-2004, 11:02 PM
TECH Resident

I think I have the exact same sound, but I swear mine is power steering. Keep us informed what you find.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:33 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Soooo, was this ever resolved? Mine is doing the same thing.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:46 PM
TECH Resident

Not sure but I heard a SMALL shot of silicone spray might help. But it will probably come back after awhile.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Uno99
Not sure but I heard a SMALL shot of silicone spray might help. But it will probably come back after awhile.

Nope it still squeaks. I've also done the silicone spray and it worked fine until it rained. Then the squeak came back and stayed heh. I'm running with the cut-out open now. . can't really hear the squeak anymore
Old 11-17-2004, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Change the belt and if that doesnt fix it change the tensioner pulley, more then likely thats all it is.