Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pro series vs Std ARP rod bolts rod deflection??

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pro series vs Std ARP rod bolts rod deflection??

mine revs to 6800 frequently on stock bolts right now..figured i should probably upgrade. 2000 T/A

Is it only the PRO series rod bolts that cause the unwanted defelction(out of round)? I have the std ARP replacements ready to go. This post was sparked by a previous thread that was not answering my questions. I am just wondering if it is the PRO versions that are causing the problems since they are a much harder material.

Anyone with information on this would be greatly apreciated. I am assuming the std ARP's are still going to be an improvement over the stockers.
Old 09-11-2004, 10:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i was wondering the same thing

I know that any bolt that is harder than stock will ultimately cause some out of round, but I have heard the pro series bolts caused the rods to be more out of round. Typically the standard replacements will be sufficient.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:25 AM
TECH Regular

I have done this using the ARP Pro's. I have had tuners that have done this tell me it was a good thing to do in pre '01 LS1's. When I did it I used ARP's recommended procedure to torque the bolts with Arp moly lube to 40lb/ft three times to stretch them first and the third time to lock them at 40lb/ft. I can tell you that the Arp Pro's are LONGER than the stock bolts, so the clamping force on the bolt is spread out a little more. The stock bolts go to 15lb/ft(I think-I don't have the manual in front of me) and then 60 degrees for the 1 dimple bolt and 75 degrees for the 2 dimple bolt. When I did mine I untorqued at around 56lb/ft for the 1 dimple bolts. The ARP Pro's are a little heavier than the stockers... I was worried about balance but that hasn't been an issue. I checked my rod journals with the plasti-gauges, but I couldn't get all the angles I needed. Where I got to wasn't changed, and my side clearance hadn't changed.
One other thing to consider is the Katech bolts. More expensive than the ARP's, but they are the same length and weight and Katech states the rods don't need to be resized with those. I guess they proved it. And they are strong bolts.
Old 09-12-2004, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone else with info?
Old 09-13-2004, 09:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ttt :d
Old 09-14-2004, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Standard vs pro guys come one someone HAS to know something!
Old 09-14-2004, 12:26 PM
Banned

I'm interested as well. Is ARP the only high strength bolt available? Didn't there used to be another well respected Company out there?
Old 09-14-2004, 01:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by moregripatwork
I'm interested as well. Is ARP the only high strength bolt available? Didn't there used to be another well respected Company out there?
As stated above, Katech.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ArKay99
As stated above, Katech.
Is Katech a hardware mfg? or a speed shop?
Old 09-14-2004, 02:18 PM
Banned

nevermind, got it, for those interested:

A2236: LS1 Replacement Rod Bolts
Now in stock! Katech LS1 rod bolt upgrade - extensive testing by GM for the ASA engine package showed the production rod bolt was the weak link in the stock bottom end in LS1 engines. Our rod bolt is the best you can get and fits production connecting rods. These direct replacement bolts are made from M11 material for extremely high tensile strength with threads rolled to J graded tolerances

Quick Reply: Pro series vs Std ARP rod bolts rod deflection??