Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clearance with QTP catted y?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 08:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clearance with QTP catted y?

I currently have a Jet Hot LT/catted y set up, and am moderately happy with it, except the y-pipe hangs down so low that I have a hard time not rubbing on speed bumps, and I cant even consider lowering the car. This picture shows the situation pretty well:

I was looking at the QTP website and it seems that they are a whole step beyond in build quality. Plus the cats are visible, so I wouldn't have to finagle my way into an inspection.

Can anyone relate their experiences?
Old 09-14-2004, 08:26 AM
Launching!

I've got one...it does hang low. The driver side cat hangs low because of the cat clearance required to the body - could be improved by extending the section of the pipe from the header, therefore moving the cat in a better position rearward. The only reason I haven't bothered fixing it was I was bordering on a dual set up or a custom built Y. I do have intentions on parting with it if you're interested. PM me and maybe I could save you few bucks
Old 09-14-2004, 08:27 AM
12 Second Club

There has been alot of complaints about their y pipes. I have their headers, and off road y pipe. Probably the nicest headers i have seen yet but the y pipe is such a hassle to work with. Ill take pics of mine tonight but mine is about an inch lower than yours, plus i have eibachs on my car. the speed bumps around my town have were nice enough to move it up a bit till i get a whole new one put on. And for the record i have emailed QTP about 10 times asking them to do something about it and havent recieved an email back. All i wanted was i would send them mine back if they would just pay for a new 3 in 3 out flowmaster y collector and i would pay for the rest of the tubing and the install. im still taking the hit in the wallet and they still wouldnt help me out. GOOD LUCK
Old 09-14-2004, 09:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well, makes me glad this was just a hypothetical exercise
Thanks for the info
Old 09-14-2004, 10:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Is there such a thing as a mail order y-pipe which fits the way we want it? I need one, but I've read bad things about PPC's, Kooks, and now QTP's. It almost seems simpler to buy the flowmaster 2-into-1 piece and try to locate a local exhaust shop who does good work.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys, never buy a pre-made Y. I paid $600 for the QTP dual cutout Y and had to spend another $300 at my favorite local shop to get some ground clearance. Any decent exhaust shop can do a much better job than any pre-made Y out there.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I went with the Stainlessworks long tubes because they use a 2.5" Y pipe with Random Tech Cats. I have excellent clearance.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:26 AM
TECH Resident

yeah man it's gonna look like that unless you get a muffler shop to modify it for better clearance.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by glennhl
I went with the Stainlessworks long tubes because they use a 2.5" Y pipe with Random Tech Cats. I have excellent clearance.
I didn't notice any lowering springs in your sig ?? If my car wasn't slammed I would've had plenty of clearance too
Old 09-15-2004, 07:01 PM
12 Second Club

thats not that low lol my stock headers and SLP large diameter Y are that low