Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you guys like the SOUND of an 80 series Chokemaster?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you guys like the SOUND of an 80 series Chokemaster?

Just to verify, I do not care about the performance of this thing, I have dual cutouts for the track and when I'm racing around

I wanted something with the dual exhaust appearance, over the single in/single out Hooker that was on here previously. A long time ago I heard an LT1 with shorty headers and what they called a '2 chamber flowmaster,' that I assumed was an 80 series, since the 40 series I had on my '92 was I beleive a 3 chamer. That LT1 sounded f*cking MEAN. I don't really care so much for the sound of my old one, it gave more of a tin-canish sound. I really want mine to sound like what that LT1 did, although I do know it won't sound as good since it's an LS1 compared to an LT1 in the sound department. For SOUND purposes, did I make a mistake with the 80 series? I would be better off with a GMMG or true duals, I know, but I don't want to spend 700 bucks for a catback that will not be used for racing, and I wanted the dual appearance without spending a ton of money on fabricating true duals out the back. If I made a mistake I can buy another muffler, but what I would want is a deep, mean, GRRRRR sound. I don't want a raspy loudass loudmouth, or anything single in/single out. The days of that are over. So what other options do I have if I already screwed this one up? The Camaro has headers and ORY already
Old 09-16-2004, 12:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With stock headers/y-pipe, IMO Flowmaster sounds the best. Not sure about LT's and ORY, but I plan to use the 80 series with my LT's and catted y-pipe. Then dual cutouts of course.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

This one has a similar exhaust setup to what mine is now, minus this one currently has the 80 series. I honestly don't see why everyone hates the sound of it. For being an mp3 on the older computer I'm on right now, I think it sounds good

http://www.ls1sounds.com/Flowmaster/...224-228cam.mp3
Old 09-16-2004, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
With stock headers/y-pipe, IMO Flowmaster sounds the best. Not sure about LT's and ORY, but I plan to use the 80 series with my LT's and catted y-pipe. Then dual cutouts of course.
If I don't like the sound of it through headers/ory, I could always bullet or cat the I-pipe I suppose
Old 09-16-2004, 04:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Everybody rags on the Flowmasters, but I love mine. Sounds bad ***, and cost me next to nothing. With all the talk of being restrictive, I have yet to see anybody poste any proof. My butt-o-meter told me mine was better flowing than the stock one. Good luck to ya.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:33 AM
Launching!

the crossflow flowmaster sounds excellent on a stock torque converter car. I got an 80 series welded in place of my stock muffler when I got the car. After I installed a high stall converter, it sounded not so good. Apparently, it really liked the down low revs, and it did sound badass, but when you stall to 4000 or so, it sounded bad. My advice, don't get just the muffler, get the cat-back. The mandrel bent pipes that come with the kit are worth it.(i bought just the muffler 'cause I didn't like the tips with the cat-back)
Old 09-16-2004, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mine currently has a 3" Hooker catback with a 3" Dynomax I-pipe, so I hope I would be okay with the mandrel bends in the pipes as they are, which is why I was able to get away with just the muffler

So is the 80 series in fact the good sounding 2 chamber, or the tin-can 3 chamber? I'll take it off before I get it on the road if it sounds like what my old one did
Old 09-16-2004, 11:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The previous owner put flowmaster on my car and it sounds pretty good! Stock manifolds/ypipe.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

I had one before my current settup. Didnt notice any gain from it true, but it did have a nice deep rumble to it. But I'm of the oppinion 'louder is better' .

I have it sitting in the garage with dual outlet crome tips if you want to save a little and dont mind a used one, good welds, no damage. PM if you want.

-JOSH
Old 09-16-2004, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

why do ppl buy the 80series? the 40 series is waaay better and doesnt choke the exhaust.
Old 09-16-2004, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hourang
why do ppl buy the 80series? the 40 series is waaay better and doesnt choke the exhaust.
Still, almost any other muffler will flow better than the 40.

Flowmaster sounds very good IMO. I like magnaflow better

-Todd
Old 09-16-2004, 03:46 PM
dug
Banned

Strahley

How does the exhaust sound with the hooker muffler? Does it have any rasp? If you want a deeper sound, get some long tubes or modify the macs to a 3" collector and 3" ypipe.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Flowmaster is the best sounding muffler in my opinion although the flow is not as good because it is a crossflow muffler with baffles, not a straight through muffler like magnaflow or borla. I sell these all day long as i work @ a muffler shop. If you really want beautiful sound do true duals with glasspacks (bullets) i like those the best thats why they are on mine. ; )
Old 09-16-2004, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dug
Strahley

How does the exhaust sound with the hooker muffler? Does it have any rasp? If you want a deeper sound, get some long tubes or modify the macs to a 3" collector and 3" ypipe.
www.ls1sounds.com

I listened the the sounds at the hooker and it sounded GREAT (especially for being such a cheap kit!)

-Todd
Old 09-16-2004, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dug
Strahley

To be honest, I love the sound of it at idle. It's deep as hell, very deep bass rumble if you stand close to it. However, it's VERY quiet under throttle. In fact, I would say it's quieter driving around than at idle. Could be due to the cam though. It's way too mellow for me IMO, I don't think it was meant for a headers/cammed car on spray. Neither is the Flowmaster, but that's what cutouts are for!
Old 09-16-2004, 07:23 PM
Staging Lane

i swapped the b&b muffler for an 80 series, sounds much better and i think it flows better. sounds great at idle and nice and rumbly on the throttle.as far as performance have an electric cut out.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a 80 series flowmaster from the previous owner on the car now. It has a deep rumble at idle, kinda mellow, revs sounds ok, again kinda mellow, and WOT aint to bad, of course this is all going through stock manifolds and stock y-pipe w/cats. I have headers and duals with 40 series mufflers on my chevelle, and man it sounds mean!!!! I will add a h-pipe to that soon. The 80 series would probably be louder w/LT's and no cats......
Old 09-16-2004, 11:18 PM
Teching In

I have the american thunder cat-back on my car right now and I get compliments on it all the time, I also have hooker LT's and ORY which probably helps, but it sounds real nice, has a nice rumble at idle and is loud at cruising speeds and screams at WOT, I know people rag on it cause it doesnt flow as well, but if you have dual cutouts for the track and what not, I'd say go with the flowmaster 80-series, you'll like it im sure.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:32 PM
Teching In

Default Flowmasters.....

I debated between the Magnaflow and the Flowmaster for a good long while before I went with the Flowmaster for my 02 Z28. i think it sounds excellent. nice deep rumbling and WOT it gets REAL loud!
Old 09-17-2004, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Strahley
Just to verify, I do not care about the performance of this thing, I have dual cutouts for the track and when I'm racing around

I wanted something with the dual exhaust appearance, over the single in/single out Hooker that was on here previously. A long time ago I heard an LT1 with shorty headers and what they called a '2 chamber flowmaster,' that I assumed was an 80 series, since the 40 series I had on my '92 was I beleive a 3 chamer. That LT1 sounded f*cking MEAN. I don't really care so much for the sound of my old one, it gave more of a tin-canish sound. I really want mine to sound like what that LT1 did, although I do know it won't sound as good since it's an LS1 compared to an LT1 in the sound department. For SOUND purposes, did I make a mistake with the 80 series? I would be better off with a GMMG or true duals, I know, but I don't want to spend 700 bucks for a catback that will not be used for racing, and I wanted the dual appearance without spending a ton of money on fabricating true duals out the back. If I made a mistake I can buy another muffler, but what I would want is a deep, mean, GRRRRR sound. I don't want a raspy loudass loudmouth, or anything single in/single out. The days of that are over. So what other options do I have if I already screwed this one up? The Camaro has headers and ORY already
To me personally, nothing sounds "deeper" than a Flowmaster muffler on the LT1. Great wicked sound on the right set-up IMO. Won't sound nearly as good on an LS1 though, but I still think it sounds pretty nice on this motor...

Your car will definitely be raspy through the Flowmaster without cats, so a bullet muffler will help cut down part of it. But remember, any aftermarket muffler or system will sound raspy hooked up to a catless Y. It's just that some sound more raspy/crappy than others. However, if you want your car to have a really good tone through the Flowmaster, put highflow cats on that Y-pipe you have and rasp will never be an issue...

BTW, the 80 series muffler is indeed a two-chamber design...

Mike