Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gmmg Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gmmg Exhaust

I Am Seeing People Talking About Gmmg Exhaust, What Is This. Please Fill Me In, Thanks Chad Sanders
Old 09-21-2004, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ccsanders01
I Am Seeing People Talking About Gmmg Exhaust, What Is This. Please Fill Me In, Thanks Chad Sanders
Well, now you just gotta wait for jrp to see this....
Old 09-21-2004, 07:16 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ruh-roh...jrp is gonna have a ****-fit.

His reply will be "SEARCH"

Mine is: the GMMG is a chambered exhaust, giving your car a late 60's-ish muscle car sound. It is only available through GMMG, and expect to pay out the *** for it unless you can find a group purchase on them. We're talking $700 for that exhaust with regular tips, and about $850 with their premium oval tips. If you don't have deep pockets, don't get it. There are other alternatives out there that are much cheaper, and sound just as good in many people's opinions. Don't ever try to convince a GMMG owner of this though...they'll burn you where you stand.

It is very nice, but very nice things for these cars come with a price. You gotta pay to play.
Old 09-22-2004, 02:13 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/217719-getting-started-ls1tech.html
Old 09-22-2004, 03:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Get him JR!!!!
Old 09-22-2004, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

That was good.

GMMG IMO is the best catback system for an LS1 F-body. It has a chambered design and sounds like the old 69 Camaro's. Check it out here www.gmmginc.net

I have it and wouldn't even trade it for true duals.

edit: This is what I wrote for the exhaust review section.

Set-up:
Kooks LT's and Y with Magnaflow cats
GMMG chambered cat-back

Before Kook's:
If you plan to leave the stock manifolds, there is no better cat-back on the market. It's loud, deep and mean. The GMMG has the old 69 Camaro muscle car sound to it. At start up it's loud with a good tone to it. At warm idle it quiets down a bit, but doesn't lose any sound quality. At cruise you know you have something special and at WOT it's almost deafening. The best part about crusing in an M6 with GMMG is goin about 40 or so in 3rd gear (2300-2400 rpm) and then giving it some gas. It alomst screams. Best part is that there is NO drone.

The GMMG is not cheap though. $700 for the system and $850 with the polished oval tips. (which I had to get) By far the best money I've spent on my car. After the headers go on I'll post up more observations as well as pics.

www.gmmginc.net

Okay, the Kook's are on. Here's what I think:

Sounds:

On start up the car roars to life. It almost barks when I start it. At warm idle, it's a little louder and just as deep sounding as it did before. At cold idle (around 1100 rpm) it's alot louder, as are most exhaust systems because you're running a higher RPM. Give it a little bit of gas and it'll wake you up. Under "normal" acceleration it is a bit louder, but if you accelerate the way I do...it's just plain loud.....but a good loud. I though my GMMG alone at WOT was almost deafening, now it IS deafening. At WOT it is very very loud, yet very crisp and clear. On deceleration (engine breaking) it's actually quieter because there is no gargling sound from the back-pressure, it hums now. Overall it sounds amazing, I couldn't have hoped for it to be better.

Fit/Looks/Quality:

I didn't do the install myself, so I don't know how easily they went in. But from what I hear, they're a piece of cake. Everything appears to fit perfectly. There is no banging on the floorboard from the y-pipe and nothing is rubbing or hitting anywhere. They tuck up surprisingly well. I measuerd clearences and only gave up about a 1/2". I was shocked to see how high the collectors and y-pipe sat. I also checked out all the welds I could see and how everything fit together. This is all top-notch workmanship. The Kook's do cost more than just about everything else, but it's worth it because of the quality of the parts, workmanship and sound. Plus they look great.

Performance:

I haven't gotten the car dynoed yet, but will do that soon.
Driving around I noticed the power immediatley. The top end power from these headers is sick. I could not believe how hard my car pulls now up above 3000 RPM. As soon as I get past about 3000 rpm the car shoots forward, I love it.

Overall:

Bottom line: I love this set-up. It sounds so mean and aggressive it's not even funny. Definitley worth every penny and I hope to get sound clips up soon.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:16 PM
Staging Lane

ls1 sounds.com go find it
Old 11-10-2004, 03:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

jrp, that was a very calm and restrained response. congrats man. you been goin to group lately or just workin on it on an individual basis?

gettinthere, awesome post. absolutely could not have said it better myself. i am currently debating between Kooks/ORY/GMMG and Kooks/Sweet Thunder TD's from Lanes. Its a tough choice, obviously I'm not really worried about the price tag(first exhaust choice runs well over 1600 ) but like you said you gotta pay to play. Just wish someone had either setup in the DFW area so I could hear it.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
jrp, that was a very calm and restrained response. congrats man. you been goin to group lately or just workin on it on an individual basis?

gettinthere, awesome post. absolutely could not have said it better myself. i am currently debating between Kooks/ORY/GMMG and Kooks/Sweet Thunder TD's from Lanes. Its a tough choice, obviously I'm not really worried about the price tag(first exhaust choice runs well over 1600 ) but like you said you gotta pay to play. Just wish someone had either setup in the DFW area so I could hear it.

Thanks.

I would really stay away from the ORY unless you can deal with alot of rasp. Since there is no muffler, you need the cats to kill the rasp.
Old 11-10-2004, 01:14 PM
On The Tree

Question

Originally Posted by gettinthere
Performance:

I haven't gotten the car dynoed yet, but will do that soon.
Driving around I noticed the power immediatley. The top end power from these headers is sick. I could not believe how hard my car pulls now up above 3000 RPM. As soon as I get past about 3000 rpm the car shoots forward, I love it.

Overall:

Bottom line: I love this set-up. It sounds so mean and aggressive it's not even funny. Definitley worth every penny and I hope to get sound clips up soon.
So did you notice any loss of low end torque at all? Have you lost any power? I know I'll gain a lot of top end power, but I'm afraid of losing the low end power which I love when I'm cruising around the city. Will I still be able to go nuts in 1st, nuts in 2nd, and chirp 3rd?
Old 11-10-2004, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have to agree, I bought the GMMG in the GP a few months back and absolutely love it. I have stock manifolds with the GMMG and it sounds awesome, I have some videos from the day I installed it, you can see em here:

GMMG Videos
Old 11-10-2004, 01:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
There are other alternatives out there that are much cheaper, and sound just as good in many people's opinions. Don't ever try to convince a GMMG owner of this though...they'll burn you where you stand.
Let's see one that sounds better...and LOOKS better.
I've got my gasoline and matches right here.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by gettinthere
Thanks.

I would really stay away from the ORY unless you can deal with alot of rasp. Since there is no muffler, you need the cats to kill the rasp.
I'm gonna be installing a flowmaster merge into the Kooks ORY to try and solve the rasp issue. Not thrilled about running cats right now, that just adds to the expense. Down the road if its too raspy I'll take the ORY down to Lanes and have him rig it with high-flow cats, would solve the problem completely.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:06 PM
Teching In

Default FYI - GMMG GP In Progress

I realize this is an older post, but there is a New Sponser "GMMG". They have GP going till Nov 30 for those interested. One of the Best if not the Best chambered exhaust ever. Get'em while their HOT!!!
Old 11-10-2004, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by botsigLS1
I realize this is an older post, but there is a New Sponser "GMMG". They have GP going till Nov 30 for those interested. One of the Best if not the Best chambered exhaust ever. Get'em while their HOT!!!
Thank you Captain Obvious.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:12 PM
Teching In

your welcome
Old 11-10-2004, 02:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by botsigLS1
your welcome
just curious what the hell your handle is supposed to mean?
Old 11-10-2004, 02:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
just curious what the hell your handle is supposed to mean?
Bit , put simply botsigLS1 = "white" "LS1" - yeah not so original