Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Went Dead Even With A Wrx Sti!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 01:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Went Dead Even With A Wrx Sti!!!

I was cruisng home at around 11:30 at night. In front of me I see a black WRX STI. Since there are free lanes in front of me I catch up to him to see what it was. I could tell it was modded because I saw and heard an exhaust and a loud blow off valve going off.
I matched him dead even at 30 so he guns it and I gun it. At WOT I walked him pretty easily till about 80 and we stop at a light I saw gold rims, brembo brakes, huge wing with all the STI works.
We stop and I find out from him it was a 2004 WRX STI with some Mods.
The guy was totally cool about it and all. So I tell him that I am not too far from stock. So the light turns green and he guns it, should have never let him get a jump.
I was shocked since I have had raced a couple of STI's, EVO's, and WRX's and have handed them a 5 to 6 car length whooping.

Oh my god!!
This guy was ready as soon as the light turned green he jumped about 4 cars in front.
I was spinning in the same spot, mean while this guy created a 4 car lead!! I finally got traction and I prayed that I could do my thing and catch up to him.
Little by little I inched closer and closer until about 90 miles per hour where I was dead even and I was slowly beginning to pull ahead. Unfortunately up ahead there was a big red light. We kept on going at it and came to a dead and sudden stop where my car had swirved all over the place and felt I was going to crash. I was scared as hell since I was all over the road.

All and all I gave that STI a huge thumbs up. He was fast as hell! That was a close one. I left that race wanting more. Since I wasnt too sure of the outcome.

Moral of the story do not underestimate them like I did before. With a good driver they will launch.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:22 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MetallicBluews6

Moral of the story do not underestimate them like I did before. With a good driver they will launch.

... and let off when approaching red light

Congrats. A good launch would have made it much closer.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks I am still a little nervouse and shaky after that one!!
Old 09-24-2004, 06:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice one! Good story, just need to hook them tires up and show the AWD system what a RWD F-Body will do to a car. Nice also you met a guy in a STi who isn't a complete *******, most of them are around here, mainly those Evo drivers are though.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks I am still a little nervouse and shaky after that one!!
Great one! Screw 'em and no need to be nervous or shaky. You know you were catch'n up and realized smokin tires doesn't win races.

Question of a different note! Did you have any Air/Fuel problems with the SLP MAF & bellow?

I'm with my SES light and PO171 & PO174
Old 09-24-2004, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not at all!! I heard that the larger 85MM MAF works best if untuned. And I also heard its a pointless mod. Oh well too late.
Old 09-25-2004, 12:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not at all!! I heard that the larger 85MM MAF works best if untuned. And I also heard its a pointless mod. Oh well too late.
Thanks! My problem has to be a vac leak somewhere! I just can't find it. I drove a good while this evening with the stock maf & bellow and amazingly the SES light has stayed off. Time will be the test over the next week or so.
Old 09-25-2004, 01:34 AM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Unfortunately up ahead there was a big red light
This part I don't really understand .... do they have different sized red lights in Chicago? Is there a "medium" red light?

haha, I'm just joking ... nice kill.