Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Best streetable rear-end?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best streetable rear-end?

Well, I will be getting a 99 - 00 Camaro SS in a few months, and i've decided to do suspension and rear-end before starting on the fun stuff. It seems like Moser makes the best rear-end. This car will be my daily driver, and I will take it to the track a few times a month. I want the strongest rear-end that I can have and it still be a daily driver. What should I get? Thanks, Ryan
Old 10-05-2004, 03:12 PM
...with cheese.

12 bolt is your best bet. less drivetrain loss. Holds plenty of power and you can get every option imaginable for one.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't say "every option imaginable" as you can't even get a locker for a 12 bolt to my knowledge. Ford 9 inch rears offer a lot more options, they just eat up more power.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Armageddon
12 bolt is your best bet. less drivetrain loss. Holds plenty of power and you can get every option imaginable for one.
Moser 12-bolt?
Old 10-05-2004, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by matts22
I wouldn't say "every option imaginable" as you can't even get a locker for a 12 bolt to my knowledge.
Yes there's more options out there for Ford 9"... but there plenty of options for 12-bolts: lockers, posi's, spools, mini-spools, mini-lockers (like the lok-right), and even helical gear diffs (TracTech released the TruTrac for 12-bolt passenger carriers recently).

If you want a locker you can have one... they are out there. Most are 30-spline variations though, but the TruTrac helical gear design is available in 33. Depends what you'll be using the rearend for I guess.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:11 PM
Staging Lane

I need this rear-end to hold up to at least 550 rwhp, because I plan on going with a 408 stroker a year or two after I get my car, and than mabey supercharging it down the road. Would a Moser 12-bolt be the best way to go, or would a 9" be better?
Old 10-06-2004, 01:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Streetable is a realitive term. Ill drive a spool around in my daily driver auto with a trex. It all depends on how much power you plan on making in the end.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:33 AM
11 Second Club

Default Rear End

Originally Posted by matts22
I wouldn't say "every option imaginable" as you can't even get a locker for a 12 bolt to my knowledge. Ford 9 inch rears offer a lot more options, they just eat up more power.
sO YOU LOSE POWER W/ THE 9"??
Old 10-06-2004, 09:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there shouldn't be any problem going with a 12 bolt...my vote goes to strange though....i hear a few things bad about moser....9"=no abs as well...just to let ya know in case you didn't already....12 bolt's should hold most anything you throw at it...the thing that usually breaks is the posi...so either get the best posi you can or get a spool...you shouldn't have problems
Old 10-06-2004, 11:53 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 777
there shouldn't be any problem going with a 12 bolt...my vote goes to strange though....i hear a few things bad about moser....9"=no abs as well...just to let ya know in case you didn't already....12 bolt's should hold most anything you throw at it...the thing that usually breaks is the posi...so either get the best posi you can or get a spool...you shouldn't have problems
Well if you can't have ABS with a 9", then i'm going to have to get either the Moser 12-bolt or Strange 12-bolt...what are the main differances between the two?
Old 10-06-2004, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CarrotcarZ
sO YOU LOSE POWER W/ THE 9"??
That is my understanding. They are less efficient and you would in fact lose power. You would also lose power going with a 12 bolt though. Both are less efficient than a 10 bolt. HOWEVER, both the 12 bolt and 9 inch will take more abuse (harder launches) so track times with better tires will certainly improve.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

umm i don't know the differences but there are tons of moser vs. strange threads that have loads of info on both of them...good luck with your decision

i think basically strange is a better fit and much quiter...moser has better axles...but then again how often do you hear of axles breaking...rarely if ever...i think what you are wanting is a strange 12 bolt with a high performance POSI...not a spool...your car will hope around on turns with a spool...you will get annoyed with that i'm sure...this is where a daily driver is subjective...some people won't mind things like that or having to constantly be tapping the gas to keep from stalling...and some people won't even be able to take a slightly stiffer clutch from like a spec stage 3...so daily driver is all up to you...we just provide the effects of your mods...you decide whether or not that is suitable for YOU
Old 10-06-2004, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AllThrottleNoBottle
Well if you can't have ABS with a 9", then i'm going to have to get either the Moser 12-bolt or Strange 12-bolt...what are the main differances between the two?
You can get a 9 inch with abs if you have 4 channel (if you have both traction control and abs).

As far as a 12 bolt, everything I have heard steers me away from the Moser. The Strange is more expensive, but seems to have less issues as far as gear whine and even breakage.

But take my opinion with a grain of salt, because I don't have experience with either. I will upgrade my rear in the future and still have not decided. So I am in the same boat as you.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

oh and by the way i have neither as well...just what i have heard from others with experience
Old 10-06-2004, 02:25 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After all the reading I've done, I'm leaning heavily towards the 9" since I have TCS (and can thus keep my ABS). I don't go to the track all that often, but when I do, I want to be able to dump on full slicks and not have any problems. I'm only a bolt-on car (for now), and I haven't heard of anyone breaking a 12 bolt on slicks with just bolt-ons, but I HAVE heard of the 12-bolts whining after doing so, and that is NOT acceptable.

The 9" also has the added benefit of a removeable center section (the part that has the posi/spool/locker and the ring and pinion), so you could set up one with a nice posi (like and Eaton or Torsen T2R) for the street along with some nice cruising gears to save on gas mileage, and then you could buy a different center section for track use only with taller gears and a spool. The design really lends itself to being the most versatile.

The big issues with the 9" are added weight, slightly less efficient than the 12-bolt, and the possibility of the torque arm banging the tunnel since it sits about 1.5" farther to the drivers side than other rears (at least from what I read). I'll most likely find this out first hand after the first of the year when I have the cash together to do this. A buddy of mine had a Currie 9 shipped to his door with a Locker and all the stuff for ABS/TCS for ~$2200. I'll definitely be getting a posi with mine.
Old 10-06-2004, 02:43 PM
TECH Resident

Don't blow your money. Build the ten bolt. Put some good axles and a nice posi in it and you will have enough rear to do fo a quick street/strip car. The M/W Masterline axles are nice and what posi you get is up to you. If you shop around you could do a posi, axle, gear swap for less then a grand. A 10 bolt is lighter and more efficient. There have beenmany a racer running low 9's on a 10 bolt. I run a 12 bolt and have 500 rwhp, and planned on putting 1000 to the ground. But, hopefully not though if I ditch my engine. If you plan on making more then 550 rwhp though, I would just bite the bullet then, and get the 12-bolt. Good luck with you decision.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:01 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nitrorocket
Don't blow your money. Build the ten bolt. Put some good axles and a nice posi in it and you will have enough rear to do fo a quick street/strip car. The M/W Masterline axles are nice and what posi you get is up to you. If you shop around you could do a posi, axle, gear swap for less then a grand. A 10 bolt is lighter and more efficient. There have beenmany a racer running low 9's on a 10 bolt. I run a 12 bolt and have 500 rwhp, and planned on putting 1000 to the ground. But, hopefully not though if I ditch my engine. If you plan on making more then 550 rwhp though, I would just bite the bullet then, and get the 12-bolt. Good luck with you decision.
Oh man, I hope you bought a flame suit today...there are gonna be people all over that one. Most people that end up building up an f-body 10 bolt only end up prolonging the inevitable, especially with a manual tranny. Grippy clutch + sticky tires = I know a few people that have been through 4-5 rebuilds on their 10 bolts (I've been through 3 on mine and have never run anything but street radials) before biting the bullet and making the swap.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by AllThrottleNoBottle
Like matts22 said, you can have ABS with a 9" if you already have traction control (4-channel). If your car is ABS only (3-channel), then forget the 9".

If you have a 4-channel, I would go with a 9" because you have a M6 and are planning over 550rwhp. 12 bolts will tend to break with manual trannies due to the shock when you dump the clutch, while it will survive in an auto because you can preload it.

BTW, I have a 3-channel ABS, so I went with a Moser 12 bolts (Eaton posi, 33 spline axles, 3.73's). I have a 382 stroker in my M6 Firehawk (411rwtq). 3K miles and no problem so far. It has taken everything I have thrown at it and it's still "dead silent". However I have not took it to the track yet.

Oh, and don't forget to swap your driveshaft for a stronger one. With a supercharged 408, you will snap your stock aluminum DS like a toothpick.
Old 10-06-2004, 05:44 PM
Staging Lane

Well where is the best place to buy a 9"? If I were to get a 12-bolt it would be a Strange after reading up on the Moser vs. Strange, so its either a 9" if I have 4-channel, or a Strange if I have 3-channel.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by nitrorocket

Yeah..now heres some good advice ....why dont you do this.