Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

could longtube and y pipe install cause piston slap to get louder

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 12:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default could longtube and y pipe install cause piston slap to get louder

is this possible? if i add a nice cam will i still hear piston slap, i get this noise which sounds like a ticking. im not sure if its piston slap because i heard a slight tick before but now its louder.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, there's a lot of possible answers to this. Piston slap would go away when the engine warmed up. So if the noise you hear is still there when the car is warmed up, it's not piston slap you're hearing. Do you still have emissions hooked up. If you didn't do the air restrictor plate, it's common for the check valves to burn up and then they tick. Or it could also be an exhaust leak. LT's also allow more engine noise to come through because of the thin walls of the primaries compared to the original cast manifolds.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

i did do the restrictor plate but the directions said the bolt holes are 5/16 and the center hole is 3/16, well the bolt holes are much larger than that so i did the center hole with a little vigger than 3/16 but the hole is still way way smaller than what it normally is, its smaller than a tack head much smaller, it kinda sounds like its by the y pipe but i cant feel any exhaust air, and it doesnt burn my eyes.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:06 AM
On The Tree

I've got the same damned thing...been there forever. We couldn't find an exhaust leak and the EGR/AIR is completely blocked off. The headers STILL tick. I'm starting to think it's something in the valvetrain. Or a noisy injector or something.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

the weird part is if i pop the hood the noise isnt as loud but when i lay under the car its very loud thats why i think it is at the y pipe, but i cant feel a leak anywhere
Old 10-07-2004, 08:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Headers are thin. You will hear alot more "normal" exhaust noise through them.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

that kinda bugs me i should have to deal with a tick tick tick noise when im at idle, its very loud when your at a drive through or a wall is beside you and it echos off, someone asked me if my valves were ticking, i said its either exhaust leak that i cant find or gm piston slap. now when i get a cam will i still hear the tick?
Old 10-08-2004, 01:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Um, with my cam i hear a lot of noises...noisy valvetrain. It's loud enough now that i can hear the valvetrain noise while going down the road with the windows up/radio off. It's very faint but i can hear it. It's pretty normal with LTs to get these types of noises.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

well that sux, kinda feel like crap when some people look at me like they wanna ask whats wrong with my car.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bluecmaro96
well that sux, kinda feel like crap when some people look at me like they wanna ask whats wrong with my car.
Could be a leak somewhere.. hard to diagnosis over the internet
Old 10-10-2004, 10:00 PM
TECH Veteran

I would slap GM with a law suit if I had pisiton noise.

I think there is a clas-action suit filed currently. Why not add your name to the list of plantiffs seeking relief.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok today me and a friend jacked the car up and there is no leak, but when you put your ear about 2" from the passenger side longtube the noise is loud, and its not at any connections, its a noise coming through the header itself, sounds like my old dodge truck with a lifter sticking, im afraid if i go to the gm dealer they will say the longtubes void teh warranty, i will try though because i always heard noise but now even when the car is at operating temp the noise is still there at idle.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you hear the noise after it's warmed up, it def. not piston slap. Could be a noisy injector or something simple like that, or it could be a lifter. Have you tried using a stethoscope to try and pinpoint the noise a little more?
Old 10-11-2004, 01:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

havent used a stethoscope i dont have one but when my friend first heard the noise he said it sounds like a lifter. how the heck would i get it to go back to normal if its a lifter? would my extended warranty cover this? would the gm dealer say the longtubes void the warranty or caused the problem? i know its very noticeable on the passenger side, me and my friend both tried feeling a leak on the y pipe and you cant feel air anywhere.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:12 PM
TECH Resident

I have the same noise and it seems to be coming from the header to y-pipe region also. When i'm at lower rpms (<2000rpm) and a taller gear and I press the gas more, the noise gets louder and more distinct. I still can't figure it out though.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

i tried emailing one of those crappy lawyers on the gm piston slap website and i got a response saying he cant do anything for me and i should contact gm and order a set of service manauls and fix the problem. LOL
Old 10-12-2004, 01:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bluecmaro96
i tried emailing one of those crappy lawyers on the gm piston slap website and i got a response saying he cant do anything for me and i should contact gm and order a set of service manauls and fix the problem. LOL