Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My car sounds like a drive-by shooting!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 06:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My car sounds like a drive-by shooting!!!

I have read a bunch of threads with similar problems but everyone seems to say that these cars tend to do this and know answer why. My car pops and pows and really sounds like backfires on decel and hard revs. It has been doing it for a long time. At first I thought it was my chokemaster which I didn't know 3 years ago that these mufflers are poor for our cars so I upgraded to magnaflow and it still does it. I recently installed a new Y pipe with a magnaflow merge collector and some mufflex test pipes and man did it get worse. It had done it all the time going way back to the flowmaster but now with the magnaflow and know cats it does it faster,more rapid pops.
A guy at a custom exhaust shop said it sounded like an air leak to him. He was real busy and short with me and did'nt even listen to my car I was wondering what exactly he ment and for anymore thoughts.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine does it too, but only after I fill up my gas tank. After a few shifts the popping is gone. I thought that upgrading to headers would cure the problem, but it is still there.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ddelallata
Mine does it too, but only after I fill up my gas tank. After a few shifts the popping is gone. I thought that upgrading to headers would cure the problem, but it is still there.

My problem is definately different. It does it all the time, on down shifts, decels, and hard revs. basiclly every time you get the rpms up and the let them drop. Basically like roooommm roooommm, pa pa pop pop pop, or a down shift roooooommmm, pa pa pop pop POP!!! I know thats kinda gay to type it out like that I'll try to get a sound clip up.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A single pop when letting off WOT is normal for a freeflowing exhaust, but if your chokemaster was doing that....dunno, maybe you have a problem especially if your getting multiple pops. My Borla and now my duals let out one pop eveytime I shift or let off at WOT, but not pop!pop!pop!pop! (that's fun to write out, huh). Get a sound clip, and the guys on here will know exactly what it is if they have more to work with than "rooom, pop pop".

I think I know what your talking about, but the only exhaust Ive heard that popped multiple times was my friends V6truck. He cut a small hole in the Ypipe, sounded like he fired a few rounds everytime he let off the gas!
Kyle
Old 10-13-2004, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ddelallata
maybe it's because you floor it everytime you leave the gas station? I know I do, it just feels so good. Exhaust pops are usually because of a lack of backpressure such as open headers or a wide open Borla, not that that's a bad thing.
I like this one, duals when normal driving: BAAAAASOOOO!!!
Old 10-13-2004, 09:11 PM
TECH Resident

Will some one host a vid for me so I can show people what my exhaust sounds like, please
Old 10-13-2004, 10:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’m pretty sure the popa de pop-pop you’re hearing is caused by an exhaust leak.

Mine did that really bad right after I installed my headers and Y. It sounds like the car is back firing, my neighbor asked me what was wrong with my car.

I had to pull the exhaust to install some other items and after I re-installed everything (taking my time this time) it didn’t pop anymore.

It should have a gurgling sound when you let off, not loud popping.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jermstyle
I’m pretty sure the popa de pop-pop you’re hearing is caused by an exhaust leak.

Mine did that really bad right after I installed my headers and Y. It sounds like the car is back firing, my neighbor asked me what was wrong with my car.

I had to pull the exhaust to install some other items and after I re-installed everything (taking my time this time) it didn’t pop anymore.

It should have a gurgling sound when you let off, not loud popping.

10-4, I wonder why I don't hear a leak at idle.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:22 AM
12 Second Club

Can't really say, it only takes a little fresh air to create the popping sound you're talking about.

Almost all aftermarket exhaust systems leak a little unless you take the time to assem it all with RTV and let it set for a while. Thats what I plan to do the very next time I have my system apart.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Mine pops a lot until it gets warmed up, after that it just normally pops once when I take my foot off the gas.
Old 10-14-2004, 03:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by atljcope03
Mine pops a lot until it gets warmed up, after that it just normally pops once when I take my foot off the gas.

Mine pops it's *** of all the time it got worse as time went by. I am trying to get someone to host a vid for me so yall can hear it. I guess I'll be taking it to a shop to have it tested for leaks
Old 10-14-2004, 09:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tranzaman00
Will some one host a vid for me so I can show people what my exhaust sounds like, please

Anyone
Old 10-15-2004, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mine does it all the time whenever i get above 3,000 rpms and i can assure there are no exhaust leaks. I've learned to deal with it.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

How many miles do you have on your valve springs? My old camaro used to do similar things. I put new springs on it and it seemed to help, leading me to think I was probably floating valves.
Old 10-16-2004, 11:46 AM
Staging Lane

Anyone
I get it out of my LM all the time on cold days before the car heats up. Once the engine temp is normal i have no problems at all.
Old 10-16-2004, 12:02 PM
Teching In

I have a Corsa catback, and mine pops when its cold, and then about 50% of the time when I shift from first to second but it still only pops once.
Old 10-16-2004, 11:52 PM
TECH Resident

I wish I could find a host to post my vid clip. Regaurdless it is so annoying I can't deal with it much longer. I hope it is an exhaust leak or bad valve springs as stated above. When it first started it would only do it when the car was cold and then gradually it started to do it all the time. All I know is it didn't do it the first year or two I got the car so it's definately not supposed to. The car has 70,000 miles on it. Can I go ahead and upgrade the valve springs to someting other than stock for a future cam install, if so what else would yall replace while I was in there also what would you replace having those miles.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:17 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone want to host video? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
Old 10-19-2004, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

Anyone want to host video? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
I'll hook it up for ya.. email it michaelmcbee@hawaii.rr.com...
Old 10-19-2004, 09:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Z28Venom
I'll hook it up for ya.. email it michaelmcbee@hawaii.rr.com...

I just sent it I hope it works. Thanks a lot I owe ya one