Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What install height for Crane Dual 832's (.558/.558 cam)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What install height for Crane Dual 832's (.558/.558 cam)

I am going to be shimming these springs, and I need to determine the correct install height based on my camshaft (T1 .558/.558 lift).

Thanks!
Old 10-17-2004, 12:28 AM
10 Second Club

TR recomends an install height of 1.770" which would be a .030" shim on the older Crane springs. I understand the newer spring with the blue stripe and a yellow stripe needs up to a .090" shim. Crane says you can shim them .060" and still run .640" lift safely...

Dan
Old 10-17-2004, 03:11 AM
I can shift faster than you.

Originally Posted by DanZ28
TR recomends an install height of 1.770" which would be a .030" shim on the older Crane springs. I understand the newer spring with the blue stripe and a yellow stripe needs up to a .090" shim. Crane says you can shim them .060" and still run .640" lift safely...

Dan
The 1.770" install height was for use with the TReX's .608"/.612" of valve lift. The T1 cam can be shimmed quite a bit more if you feel comfortable with that. You want to run the spring around .050" from coil bind.

Jason
Old 10-17-2004, 07:21 AM
On The Tree

This is a reply I recieved from Mark@Crane Cams when I asked him about the T1 cam.

Originally Posted by Mark Campbell from Crane
Sorry for the delayed response, but I was out of the state for a couple of days. There has been a good deal of misinformation about what shimming will and will not do. Shimming should not have a significant affect on valve spring life. It also doe not affect the harmonics of the spring but can affect the harmonic stimulation of the pushrod. It is necessary to provide adequate seat pressure to keep the valves from bouncing as they return to the seat. Fortunately, the LS1 valve train is relatively light and the large stock rocker ratio (1.7) multipies the seat pressure to help prevent bouncing of the lifter on the lobe. Our spring sets up at 112# at 1.800" installed height. We have purposely designed the spring with this seat pressure to allow shimming to the needs of the cam profile. We have kept the valve spring rate on the moderate side to keep the valve spring open loads from causing too much pushrod deflection at max lift. Too much open pressure will cause the pushrod to bend like a pole vaulters pole and cause an undesired "throwing of the valve" which means you have lost control of the valve train. Too much pressure and too high of a spring rate can cause just as many if not more problems than too light of a rate! (There are harmonic issues which are quite complex that relate to spring rate, lift rate of the lobe and rocker arm ratio that would take a text book to explain). If the seat pressure and spring rate are too high to start with, it's impossible to remove pressure!!. We also like the harmonics of this spring design over a wide range of applications. We feel our harmonics provide the best operation over the widest operating range of any spring on the market, and we have tested them all. I would recommend 120-125# of seat pressure for your application. A .030" shim should be the proper shim to place under the spring to achieve this seat pressure. This equates to a 1.765-1.770" installed height. With that seat pressure you should have no problems with valve train separation throughout your entire operating range (i.e. you will run into valve float problems from the inherent design characteristics of the lobe before you reach a critical harmonic in the spring!). Indiscriminately throwing valve spring shims under a spring is a sure way to disaster. We recommend measuring the istalled height of each valve spring and shimming as necessary to achieve the desired seat pressure. The seat pressure is the most important issue here and we have tried todesign a spring that provides maximum flexibility for maximum performance. We think we have succeeded. If you have any othe questions or issues, please feel free to contact me.
Old 10-17-2004, 01:31 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jason99T/A
The 1.770" install height was for use with the TReX's .608"/.612" of valve lift. The T1 cam can be shimmed quite a bit more if you feel comfortable with that. You want to run the spring around .050" from coil bind.

Jason
Gary, that's good info, thanks for sharing.

Jason, Your theory implies to just shim whatever cam you have to .050" coil bind, I don't understand this. I thought you would shim according to desired spring height and seat pressure for our particular application. I wouldn't shim anymore than necessary to acheive correct seat pressure. I'm no expert so I don't know. There must be a formula to use instead of this guessing game everyone keeps doing, anyone care to share?

Dan
Old 10-18-2004, 07:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DanZ28
I thought you would shim according to desired spring height and seat pressure for our particular application.
I thought the same. With my cam, it looks like the guy at crane wants me to have 120-125 lbs of pressure. With those springs, it requires an install height of 1.765-1.770" .
Old 10-18-2004, 10:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have the old crane 832 springs and Trex cam, am I losing power by just installing the springs without shims at all? are there any very negative affects by just running them without shims? if it's a big issue, I will be pulilng them off this weekend.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:09 PM
10 Second Club

Gary, I guess that's why I'm a bit confused. That's the same intall height/seat pressure recomended for the Trex cam as well. I'm going to send him an email and see what he recomends for the Trex.

KMStevens, It's possible you are if your getting valve float by incorrect seat pressure. The info above from Crane has some good info on this..

Dan