Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

224/224 .579/.579 -114 + PRC dual springs good to .660 lift.. TOO MUCH spring??

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 08:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 224/224 .579/.579 -114 + PRC dual springs good to .660 lift.. TOO MUCH spring??

I was planning on ordering a TSP cam package which comes with the Precision Race Components dual dual springs good for up to .660 lift. The springs are supposed to be similar to the Patriot gold duals. I figured the fact that it is good for such a high lift is just extra insurance and would mean I could probably get 50k or more miles w/o a spring change. Now I know this is only a medium size cam and I saw someone mention that too much spring pressure can actually hurt you?? I had never heard of this before...opinons please....

Last edited by KB99WS6; 10-21-2004 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:35 AM
On The Tree

springs are measured by lbs. its an approximated about of force it takes to compress the spring. say you have a 150lb spring and say you have a 250lb spring. which one do you think it will be harder for the motor to compress? the 250lb spring right. well imagine if it has to compress that extra 1600lbs. it adds up. basically you want a little insurance but not so much that the motor won't even spin over. i'd call the cam supplier and ask them what to run and stick with that.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:46 AM
TECH Addict

I just switched from a Manley to a Patriot gold spring and I'm very happy. I broke two of the Manley springs. I have a 224/228 581 112. You also have to think about how "hard" the cam smacks them, as in lobe profile or ramp rate. I'm sure those would be fine.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:16 AM
11 Second Club

My REV dual springs are nearly two years old and getting a little tired. I'm going to replace them with the Crane 832 dual springs which are rated to .650" lift. Our sponsor, Thunder Racing, sells them for just $150 per set.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:25 AM
TECH Resident

Well as far as price, its very hard to beat the $699 cam package price that TSP offers, but I am still confused if these are the best or the correct springs to run with those cam specs. I of course don't want the springs robbing a lot of HP, but at the same time I wouldnt mind sacrificing a few ponies if the springs are going to not only protect the motor but be able to go up to 50k or so miles without a change. I also don't know, can too firm of a spring actually hurt anything or overly stress something in the motor actually reducing reliability instead of increasing it??
Old 10-21-2004, 09:30 AM
TECH Regular

I ordered the same package from TSP. Precision Race Component (PRC) springs are supposed to have the same seat and opening pressures as Patriot from what I have read. Jason from TSP said I could even use my stock chain if I wanted to. I only have 30K miles. But I would deffinately get some duals.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:39 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah Trevor told me they are very similar in design to the Patriot ones. My car has 26k miles. I am debating about the changing the oil pump/timing chain myself - not sure if its worth it.

Anyhow, I appreciate the input but i still can't seem to the get the bulk of my question answered

I'd email the manufacturer of the cam's but I don't know who that is. they have the TSP name. i think they might be comp cams but not sure...or maybe I'd be better off trying to contact the spring manufacturer, PRC.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:59 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by KB99WS6
Well as far as price, its very hard to beat the $699 cam package price that TSP offers, but I am still confused if these are the best or the correct springs to run with those cam specs. I of course don't want the springs robbing a lot of HP, but at the same time I wouldnt mind sacrificing a few ponies if the springs are going to not only protect the motor but be able to go up to 50k or so miles without a change. I also don't know, can too firm of a spring actually hurt anything or overly stress something in the motor actually reducing reliability instead of increasing it??
The only thing I can think of that slightly heavier-than-necessary valve springs would do is rob a little power. As long as the rest of your valvetrain components are of decent quality (especially your pushrods and lifters), they aren't going to affect reliability.

$700 for the complete package is a sweet deal.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:02 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by KB99WS6
Yeah Trevor told me they are very similar in design to the Patriot ones. My car has 26k miles. I am debating about the changing the oil pump/timing chain myself - not sure if its worth it.

Anyhow, I appreciate the input but i still can't seem to the get the bulk of my question answered

I'd email the manufacturer of the cam's but I don't know who that is. they have the TSP name. i think they might be comp cams but not sure...or maybe I'd be better off trying to contact the spring manufacturer, PRC.
I'd say the timing chain is definitely worth it. The stock one is more often than not very slack even when new. The Rollmaster double roller timing chain that I have on my car sells for about $80 so it's not a big investment.

I wouldn't worry about the oil pump with just 26K on your car.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XTrooper
I'd say the timing chain is definitely worth it. The stock one is more often than not very slack even when new. The Rollmaster double roller timing chain that I have on my car sells for about $80 so it's not a big investment.

I wouldn't worry about the oil pump with just 26K on your car.
I think if you're gonna change the chain, you might as well spend the extra money and change out the oil pump for a ported and blueprinted LS6 pump... especially if this is on a 1998-2000 car, as those have shown to be more prone to failure.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:53 AM
TECH Resident

Xtrooper,
Yeah their $699 cam kits include the following:
Your choice of Cam (including custom) choice of Crane or PRC dual springs, Ti retainers, Hardened spring seats, GM valve seals, TSP hardened pushrods.
- Or for $639 the same kit but with Manley springs (to .600 lift) & retainers.
(They also have kits cheaper than that too).

I havent found better cam deals anywhere....even if you piece together best buy parts from other vendors. Also, I'm a long time net shopper and I have never come across anyone that responds to emails so thoroughly and in such a professional and friendly manner (not too mention very promptly) than does Trevor at TSP.

As far as the Timing chain, and oil pump. I will definitely try to at least do the timing chain, but I am not sure I will have the extra $$ for the ported oil pump too b/c that's like $130 I think. Does the oil pump actually add reliability to the motor....like does it get oil moving through the motor quicker on cold starts than the stocker etc etc??
Old 10-21-2004, 12:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the biggest reason for a new oil pump is with a 98-00 car, since those oil pumps are much more prone to failing than the '01+ ones... I did not change my chain out fwiw, nor did I change the oil pump, just for that reason. I have an '01, and my engine only had 20k miles on it when I did the cam swap. If I ever do another cam swap though, I will change those things out at that time.

Also, a ported oil pump will provide you with better volume/pressure, and that's good when those RPMs start going up above stock parameters... most cams will require you to push your rev limiter up in order to make use of a higher power band, so more volume and pressure is better.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The PRC spring kit will be perfect for your aftermarket cam.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28
I think the biggest reason for a new oil pump is with a 98-00 car, since those oil pumps are much more prone to failing than the '01+ ones... I did not change my chain out fwiw, nor did I change the oil pump, just for that reason. I have an '01, and my engine only had 20k miles on it when I did the cam swap. If I ever do another cam swap though, I will change those things out at that time.

Also, a ported oil pump will provide you with better volume/pressure, and that's good when those RPMs start going up above stock parameters... most cams will require you to push your rev limiter up in order to make use of a higher power band, so more volume and pressure is better.
The bad oil pumps was predominately limited to the 1999 model year. The oil pump failed in my '99 Camaro SS at 14,000 miles and GM replaced it no questions asked. The ported oil pump may very well provide more volume, etc, but, the fact is, it's unnecessary. I know of at least one 500+ rwhp twin-turbo car that is using its original stock oil pump with no problem whatsoever.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would say it's worth the peace of mind though if you have a 98-00 model ls1 to just replace the oil pump.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:52 PM
TECH Resident

The PRC spring kit will be perfect for your aftermarket cam.
Can you please elaborate....

will they rob a decent amount of hp, or only like 1-3 hp compared to less stiff springs??
Old 10-21-2004, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This spring will not rob any HP compared to others.It will save hp in the upper rpm,no valve float.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

I wish they would not even put max lift on springs.
What is critcal is proper seat pressure at the installed height. No. 1
Then at installed height, subtract max cam lift factoring rocker ratio to check clearance between retainer/seal/guide and clearance between coils. That be 2 and 3.
Last, is open pressure, this needs to be checked to see if it is correct with cam needs.

I recommend solid roller SBC springs on BBC marine engines. . .does quite well.

Chris
Old 10-21-2004, 05:31 PM
TECH Resident

what about longevity? How many miles should they be good for with that cam & everything in the kit, provided everything is installed properly.

Cstraub, You lost me on the spring you are recommending. Solid roller Short Block Chevy springs? Sorry for the ignorance but never even knew what solid roller meant, lol. it sounds like you know what you are talking about so i am curious what spring would you recommend to me for that cam? From what i have heard these PRC springs are pretty good....also heard that about the patriot gold duals and the Crane duals as well. My priority at the end of the day is longevity and reliability.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Any spring that is made from Super Clean Chrome Vanadium Steel is the best for endurance. I know for sure the Partiot Spring is.

Chris