Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Setting up a 2002 WS6.... I need help... big time

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 05:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setting up a 2002 WS6.... I need help... big time

Ok, I came on here asking for advice about my 70 Formula, now I find myself asking about a WS6 Trans Am.

Long story short, my dad sold some land, and he said we could make a Pro-Street car, any car I wanted. I wanted to make a 69 Charger R/T, with a crate 426 Hemi in it backed up by a 4 speed, with a super charger and a light nos set. But then I started to think... You know what? what does a 19 year old need with a Hemi Charger clone! He doesnt need one! Hell if I had a 10 second Charger I would probly be dead in a week, and then you have to think about gas prices, and price of insurance, its just not the car for me, not yet anways.

So then I was looking online, and to be honest, I have never considered a 2002 Trans Am WS6 untell 2 days ago, when it came to me in a dream... I know it sounds weird, but I was in a Black 02 WS6 racing against a giant Flamingo and a Lama. In short it was a weird dream, but the car was so bad ***. Then I get online and look, a 2002 WS6 T/A gets 23 miles per gallon! **** that is great! that is better then great that is awesome! And it runs low 13's stock, so you have a 13 second car that gets really good gas mileage, what a perfect car to get!

I found a black WS6 Trans Am, T-Tops, loaded, 2002. It has an automatic, and they are asking $21,000... is that a good deal? 40K miles on it.

I am going to purchase a 2002 Trans Am WS6 as soon as I can, but 13's are good, but I want a little better.

I will give you all that you need to know, and ask that you guys help me get a good set up.

I have about $30,000 to spend, $21,000 or so is going to the new car, so I have $9,000 - $10,000 to "play" with. I am looking for a car that I can rely on, a daily driver of sorts (every day go about 50 miles, and longer on weekends and thursday/friday nights). Something also that I can take to the Irwindale race way every Thursday night and run, and run the California speedway in the 11's. So pretty much a daily driver 11 second car that gets at least 24 miles per gallon... Is that possible? Also about $1,000 of that 9-10 will go into the handling of the car, I would love it to take a turn with ease.

So what would I need? Plese help me here, I would love a nice organized list where I can take it into a shop and have them order every little part. I tried to make a list myself a few times, but people at other forums said it needed alot of work lol. So Ill elave it to the experts (you guys). Thank you so much and please help me...
Old 10-25-2004, 06:07 PM
Launching!

ill be the 1st to say use the search button man. there is SOOOO much **** you can do its nuts. it might take you a while to figure out all that stuff.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

drive it stock for atleast 2 months..... then do mods SLOWLY

*thius coming from someone who turned a 100%stock ws6 into a race car in under a year*
Old 10-25-2004, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check Kelly Blue Book on that price. I have seen some better deals than that. If you get an automatic car if you put a stall converter, cam, longtubes and a little nitrous you should be in the mid to low 11 second range and still be very reliable for the street. Those mods wont come near $9,000. I am not sure on the stall converter price since i have a 6 speed. But if you get jet-hot or pacesetter longtubes with duals $1,000 probably less. NX nitrous kit with all the goodies $800. Cam $500. If you know how to work on a car at all you can install about all these except for the converter yourself. Check out the sponsers of this site, group purchase and used section and you will save a lot of money. I try not to buy anything at the local speed shops, there prices are always crazy.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just do all the boltons, stall, gears, and a nice cam and you'll be in the 11's with traction.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:36 PM
Teching In

only, I forgot to add, I want this on an all motor car. No nos, no super charger.

Also, what is the best site online to find parts for the LS1? what is a shop where I can get a **** load of parts?
Old 10-25-2004, 06:39 PM
Teching In

I was thinking long tube headers. FAST intake manifold, and stall converter, throttle body, new air intake, 3.73 gears, Z rated tires. Also a cam and head combo. How much are these like $2,000? ? ? ? where can I find that at?
Old 10-25-2004, 07:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

H/C combos are usually 2-3k+, depending on the heads. FAST 90mm setup(includes throttle body and intake manifold), 1250. SS Headers, ~800. Stall, ~400. Lid, ~100. Good sticky tires will run you ~350 a pair.

Personally, if you have ~$9k to sink into performance, I'd look into a forged stroker/bore motor with a sick H/C combo. Thats just me.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:34 PM
TECH Addict

hey i was just wondering why no one has gave u a really hard time about that dream. most ppl here prolly would have attacked that dream then told u about mods . but i would also consider a good 12 bolt or a 9 inch. if u want h.c and new gears. plus u might wanna run et streets and all that power on a stock rear end. or so ive heard from some. good luck!
Old 10-25-2004, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I love having fun like this, heres a good list

Start with full boltons

Edelbrock victor drag headers
Off road Y pipe
Hooker catback
Electric cutout

Fast 90mm Intake
Fast 90mm Throttle body
SLP Flo-pac

MEziere electric water pump
March crank pulley

AFR heads
Futral motorsports cam

Built 4l60
Stall
Shift kit
Cooler

Strange 12 bolt
UMI SFCS LCAS PHR RELOC BRACKETS
SPOHN TA swaybars

Set of nice TT2's 17x11 in the back 17x9 in the front, wrapped in Drag radials all that could be had for under 8 grand, and youd be in the 11's all motor
Old 10-25-2004, 10:12 PM
TECH Resident

No matter what you do it's gonna be tough to achieve a solid 11 second car and still get 24 miles to the gallon in an auto. If I had the money you are looking at though I would go with all the bolt ons, stall, rear end, suspension and see what's left for heads/cam. Your best bet would be a stroker, and it's possible that you can get a nice stroker and still get all the other goodies for that price, but you wont come near 24 mpg. Bolt on's only I ran 27-30 mpg all the time, but I'm a conservative driver and I have an m6. Heads/Cam will dramatically drop your mileage. Just some stuff to think about.
Old 10-25-2004, 10:50 PM
Teching In

ah ****.

If I do something mild, like headers, exhaust, intake, throttle body, pully, good intake, what kinda times would I be looking at?
Old 10-25-2004, 11:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 7T4MULA
ah ****.

If I do something mild, like headers, exhaust, intake, throttle body, pully, good intake, what kinda times would I be looking at?
Full bolt on automatic here, 12.7's on street tires and stock suspension. I'm expecting 12.4 or better when I go back with some better rubber and suspension. You don't have to go huge on the cam to get a performance gain. A mid size cam (224 or similar) will get you good performance gains while not really affecting driveablility or your mpg, not too much anyway.

I know you said you want to stay NA, but I'd reconsider that. If I had started out with a large some of money, I would have bought a supercharger. Kinda wish I would have just saved up for one.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Auto's can cut some wicked times w/good stall 'verters and sticky tires. You can get away with a healthy H/C package w/o sacrificing too much fuel economy. It won't be the stock 26mpg, but you won't be guzzlin 9 a mile either.

Call a few of the sponsers(HPE, MTI, Futral, APE) and see what they have to say. I'm sure they'd love to talk to you about a project like this.
Old 10-26-2004, 05:14 AM
10 Second Club

Do the stall/exhaust/nittos first. The car will easily be in the low 12's-where you take it from there is up to you. I started out that way with my WS6-ran 12.0's with bolt ons. I had a blast bracket racing it, with very little invested in mods.
Old 10-26-2004, 05:25 AM
10 Second Club

I wouldn't waste your money on the intake-the ls6 will do fine until you start making some big power with a 346.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:02 AM
TECH Resident

Spend your money on dropping weight and suspension and you shouldnt have a problem running 11's with all the bolt on's. Not too difficult a task for a big stalled A4. I didn't consider this in my previous post. Throw in a cam and your mileage is shot, but if you stay bolt on only, you can still have a very reasonably mpg and run 11's if your car is setup.