Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Official: 2006 BMW 3 series photos.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 06:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Official: 2006 BMW 3 series photos.

It figures I finally go out and buy a BMW 3-series and two weeks later they announce the next "3"

Word on the Street is that the 2-door E46 3-series will continue one more year and be replaced with an e90 2-door in 2007 and a new 400+ hp V8 M3 will debut in 2007 as a 2008 model.

From http://www.Autoweek.com

Back to the Future: Eschewing its brethren, the new 3 Series exhibits timeless styling

GREG KABLE
Posted Date: 10/26/04
2006 BMW 330i
ON SALE: May 2005 base price: $37,000 (est.)
POWERTRAIN: 3.0-liter, 255-hp, 221-lb-ft I6; rwd, six-speed manual
CURB WEIGHT: 3190 pounds (est.)
0 to 60 MPH: 6.0 seconds (est.)

PHOTOS: 2006 BMW 3 SERIES PHOTO GALLERY| NEW 3 SERIES BROCHURE BMW'S DARE-TO-BE-DIFFERENT designs are no more, at least on the new 3 Series coming next year. Shown here for the first time "officially"-we put quotes around that word considering the entire 3 Series brochure was spirited out of the company and revealed on the Internet two months ago (AW, Aug. 23)-the fifth-generation four-door sedan eschews the controversial styling established on the company's 1, 5, 6 and 7 Series models. Instead, BMW opts for a more timeless appearance that it hopes will see the new car continue to appeal to its fiercely loyal, but highly discerning, customer base.

Set to star at Geneva next year, the 3 Series, codenamed E90, represents a major shift in BMW's model hierarchy. No longer entry level in the lineup-a position it occupied for 29 years-a myriad of changes aim at moving the sedan cautiously upmarket.

Larger in every vital dimension, the car gets more powerful gasoline engines, a new rwd platform shared with the baby 1 Series, as well as an aluminum-intensive suspension, high-tech multiplex electronics and a long list of premium features-including iDrive.

Presented as a sedan, there will also be wagons and uniquely styled coupes and cabriolets for North America by early 2007. Earlier plans to abandon the traditional naming policy and give upcoming two-doors a 4 Series nomenclature have been torpedoed by marketers. Also under intensive consideration, but yet to be granted production approval, is a five-seat multipurpose vehicle.

One look is enough to convince you the new 3 Series is a much less jarring example of present BMW styling, boasting more conventional cues than any of its siblings. The front end, dominated by a new interpretation of the classic kidney grille and round headlamps under clear glass lenses, is pure BMW, as is the prominent line running down the sides and the distinctive "Hofmeister kick" incorporated in the C-pillars.

The rear end is also far less radical than what we've seen from BMW of late, and perhaps a little too derivative for some tastes. As is typical of BMW, the front overhang is extremely short, with the car's longitudinally mounted engine and gearbox set well back in the engine bay to help it achieve the best possible weight distribution.

The reason for the more harmonious approach is simple. New BMW models don't get any more important than the 3 Series. Despite increased competition on all fronts, the 3 remains the cornerstone of BMW's business, accounting for a whopping 57 percent of global sales last year, or 528,258 worldwide. BMW knows all too well it cannot afford to risk sending buyers elsewhere.

With the 1 Series now firmly established at the base of its lineup, BMW has seized the opportunity to take the 3 Series up in size. "The new 3 Series offers nearly as much interior space and luggage capacity as the old (previous-generation E39) 5 Series," says BMW development boss Burkhard Goeschel.

Two new I6s will be available from the start of North American sales, a 2.5-liter in the 325i and a 3.0-liter in the 330i. We're told the 330i will push 255 hp, with the 325i coming in around 210 to 215 hp. Both engines come mated to a standard six-speed manual from Getrag. A six-speed automatic from ZF with a Step-tronic push/pull function will be optional, and an SMG unit with buttons on the steering wheel will be available on 330 models.

A double-clutch gearbox similar to VW's highly acclaimed DSG is under development, but it won't be available immediately.

With an added 25 to 30 hp and 221 lb-ft delivered at 2500 rpm, 1000 rpm lower than before, the new 330i manages to outgun today's car, reaching 60 mph in an estimated 6.0 seconds. Top speed remains at 155 mph. Fuel consumption improves by about 2.2 mpg thanks to a broader spread of gear ratios, longer final drive and improved aerodynamics.

The 330i's engine is now built on a lightweight magnesium block that shaves 22 pounds off its weight compared to aluminum. Magnesium also will be incorporated in the 2.5-liter six.

We can confirm BMW is plotting the return of turbocharging to the lineup with a 3.0-liter, 240-hp I6 in a proposed 330Ti. It is aimed at bridging the gap between the regular line and a new 4.0-liter, 400-hp V8-powered M3. BMW also is developing a limited number of fwd 3s using the electronically controlled xDrive system found in the X3.

Dynamically, MacPherson struts remain up front, but they are now made from aluminum for sharper responses; the rear end adopts a complex five-link steel arrangement in place of today's four-link system. Along with the standard suspension, there is an optional sport setup that lowers ride height by 0.6 inch and adds firmer springs and dampers. BMW's Dynamic Drive will not be made available on the new 3 Series due to its weight and cost. The track measurements increase front and rear, and weight distribution is reported to be 50:50 front-to-rear. This is achieved in part by placing the battery low down in the floor of the trunk and replacing the spare tire with a puncture repair kit. The 325i rides on 16-inch wheels shod with 205/55 tires, while the 330i gets 17-inchers wrapped in 225/45. Optional are 18-inch wheels with low-profile 255/35 tires.

There has also been a radical overhaul of the steering. Along with a standard speed-sensitive rack-and-pinion system, BMW will offer active front steering as an option.

Unlike the 5 Series, which features aluminum structure ahead of the A-pillar, the new 3 retains full steel construction as a cost-saving measure. BMW has not divulged weight figures, but the 330i will likely tip the scales at 3190 pounds, which is very close to the current car's weight despite the new one's larger dimensions and added equipment.

Among the safety features are two-stage driver and passenger airbags, thorax airbags on the outer seatbacks and curtain airbags. Also included on all 3 models is BMW's latest dynamic stability control. On uplevel models, DSC includes a "Start Off" mode to prevent rolling back on hills, "Soft Stop" to reduce dive under heavy braking and "Dry Braking," which lightly clamps the calipers to dry the discs in wet conditions.

The interior leans heavily toward that found in the 5 Series, a highly modern look that lacks the driver-centric appeal of past 3 Series. On models equipped with optional iDrive, the dashboard boasts two different cowlings, one for the instruments, the other for a wide-screen monitor, while the switch-gear is minimized with functions concentrated within iDrive's rotary dial between the front seats. Models without iDrive receive just the single cowling and revert to more traditional switchgear.

Options include active cruise control, bi-Xenon headlamps with or without the adaptive function that adjusts them in tandem with the front wheels, keyless entry, a choice of two different navigation systems, and a series of DVD-based infotainment systems, the top version of which uses Pro Logic7 surround sound.

The extended wheelbase and widened track have liberated greater interior space in a move BMW claims will see the 3 Series more closely challenge Audi's A4 and Mercedes' C-Class for overall versatility and trunk space.

Production of the new 3 Series starts in December at three BMW factories: Munich and Regensburg in Germany, and Rosslyn in South Africa. Later, the car will also roll from the company's new Leipzig factory under construction in former East Germany.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:52 PM
TECH Addict

Big honk'n photos and lots of pop-up ads here: (click thumbnail)

www.germancarfans.com
Old 10-26-2004, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

looks too much like a compacted new 5 series.. how's your new arrival doing??
Old 10-26-2004, 08:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by superchannelkev
looks too much like a compacted new 5 series.. how's your new arrival doing??
I love it. I'm gonna have to relearn how to drive though. After owning (2) 350 V8 Firebird's and one 346 LS1 Trans Am, I'm a bit spoiled on allways having power available. You have to "think" a lot more about gear selection and matching RPM to speed through a turn. Sort of reminds me of a motorcycle in that regard. The handling is increadible. I've spent some time in Z06 Vettes, and "know" they handle better, but the M3 "feels" like it handles better... hard to explain. Maybe in the same way a Miata "feels" fast when you drive it. Anyhow, I took it into the mountains the last couple of weekends, the last time being with a buddy of mine that has a Convertible C5 with a Z06 suspension and wheels. Despite the fact I was still "shifting it like an LS1" and keeping it in the 4K-6K RPM range I could still loose him in the super tight twisties. In the long sweepers He would come right up on top of me. It will be interesting to see if that is still the case when I learn how to shift this car confidently at 8K RPM

If you rev the pee out of it, the car is a rocket, in normal driving it feels like a "regular" 330. I came -> <- this close to getting a CTS-V instead, but I think I'm happier with this car as it handles better and I really don't need the extra room yet. I have to admit that I'm getting spoiled with German Switchgear though. Everything closes with a "click", everything is firm tight and feels precise. That said I *don't* think the M3 is worth the $60K it stickers at new (with all the options), and new for new the CTS-V is the far better choice, but *used* for *used* the M3 is a huge value, and you can now find them in the mid to high $30K range.

The only bad thing about this car is it's biggest asset (for me), it's worthless to modify this car. A $2K mod *might* get you 5 RWHP. Not worth it, but honestly I need to leave this car stock anyways and use the Motorcycle as my "play toy".

-Adam
Old 10-26-2004, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

BTW before you think me a retard maybe I should explain what I mean about learning to shift this car. When you're in third gear at 5,000 RPM approaching a turn, it goes against every instinct to downshift the car into second gear, but that is what you have to do otherwise the car will dip into 4,000 RPM and bog out and you'll loose corner exit speed.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

hmm interestin... a friend of mine's dad is the CFO for Dinan.. Steve Dinan bought this guys dad an M3 when the new style first arrived here is US.. went for a ride in it and was impressed.. since then practically all Dinan mods have been installed (free!!!!) so I can't wait till he comes back from the east coast to go for another ride. I figure when I buy one I won't mod it either... i'll have the camaro and my bikes to have fun with....
Glad to hear that you love it!!!
Old 10-27-2004, 07:50 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by superchannelkev
hmm interestin... a friend of mine's dad is the CFO for Dinan.. Steve Dinan bought this guys dad an M3 when the new style first arrived here is US.. went for a ride in it and was impressed.. since then practically all Dinan mods have been installed (free!!!!) so I can't wait till he comes back from the east coast to go for another ride. I figure when I buy one I won't mod it either... i'll have the camaro and my bikes to have fun with....
Glad to hear that you love it!!!
Dinan is developing a supercharger for the M3 righ now that is being hotly anticipated as it carries and does not void the factory warranty.

Dinan Supercharged E46 M3?
Definitely!
As anyone who attended our recent 25th anniversary party will attest, supercharger systems for the E46 M3 will soon be available at an Authorized Dinan BMW Performance Center near you!

As interest in our supercharger programs for the M3 is obviously quite keen, we thought we would share some photos of the cars under development. While we can’t yet offer definitive availability dates as our engineers continue to “tune and tweak” for the best possible performance and reliability, perhaps we can at least wet the appetites of serious driving enthusiasts everywhere.

We have plans for two Dinan Supercharger Systems. One program will be the traditional “bolt on” approach and the other will include even more boost and a large air to air intercooler. While tuning of these systems continues, for now let it suffice to say that the systems are currently producing about 420 hp and 475 hp respectively. These are by no means intended to represent the final numbers but this will at least give prospective buyers a sense of the enormous power that will be available from the Dinan systems. And, of course, the systems will be backed by the most comprehensive warranty in the industry!

Stay tuned for more information!
I have to admit if I was made of money I would be sorely tempted to get this kit

The Price/Performance ratio seams a bit off on their other stuff. Case in point the S2-M3 Dinan gets better suspension, Gears and +30HP for $10K!

Wish I could afford it though....but it's better that I can't, I'm just going to stick to some stereo mods (Nav-TV, Bluetooth adapter, Valentine 1 intergration into Nav, etc)

-Adam
Old 10-27-2004, 10:20 AM
TECH Veteran

I still like the E46 styling better. And the old 5 series styling better (E39 I believe). Oh well. I cant afford either at this point so its not like it matters.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shinkaze

The Price/Performance ratio seams a bit off on their other stuff. Case in point the S2-M3 Dinan gets better suspension, Gears and +30HP for $10K!

-Adam
well when your rich that 30hp is worth every cent of your 10k to make yours just a tad faster than the next...
Old 10-27-2004, 11:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thats a nice little ride......

I like the "mini" 5 series look

Quick Reply: Official: 2006 BMW 3 series photos.