New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm new - help me build a better ws-6!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 06:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default I'm new - help me build a better ws-6!

Hi! I'm a new member. Last month I bought a 1999 30th anniversary Trans-am (WS-6) convertible, automatic. It has 88,000 miles on it, but is in great shape. I'd like to get a little more power out of it. Thirty horsepower or so would be great. But I really don't want to affect the driveability too much, since my wife drives it. I don't want it too much louder, and I don't want to hurt the gas mileage much, either.

What do you guys suggest?
Old 11-01-2004, 06:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First get a Air Lid, SSRA, Cutout and some Nitto Dr's.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lid and a stall. And a hooker cat-back..its quiet and flows very well.

www.ls1sounds.com <---go there

-Todd
Old 11-01-2004, 10:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome to the board. I'm gonna be straight with you. The best thing you could do to your car is make sure you know what you want before you ever start. You can waste alot of money and time changing because you didnt go as big or as bad as you would really like. Dont buy stuff that will be overkill on your car but on the other hand try to always leave room for improvement without redoing your entire setup. The best way to find out what is good and what isn't is just to search this board. There is alot of good info here, however there is also lots of BS going around. As stated above the best way to start is intake and exhaust. If you really will be happy with around 30 more hp, then there is no reason to spend a ton of money. Lids and filters can be bought for really cheap, looks are really the main difference. Hooker and Magnaflow are said to be excellent exhausts, both are fairly inexpensive. From experience I would also recommend some sort of ramair setup. All are close in price all work the same, and they are all far superior to your factory setup. I would just buy the cheaper one. But thats me. As far as stall goes, I've never really had much experience with autos. This is one area where a little research goes a long way. There is much to be learned from the mistakes of people on this board, its normally either too big or too small. I beleive this is enough to keep you busy for the next couple of weeks. Then you can get into the more expensive and the more controversial stuff. Sorry this was so long. Good luck.

Jon

edit: I haven't been on the board in a while and I just noticed there is a sticky with more info on some of these topics. Check it out.

Last edited by JonCR96Z; 11-01-2004 at 11:31 PM.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:07 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd suggest you keep anything you take off of that car and don't hack it up. Being the anniversary edition, it could be worth a little more down the road in stock condition.

As for your mods question, a lid and full exhaust should get you there for sure. Gas mileage will be more dependant on whether or not you can keep your foot out of it.
Old 11-02-2004, 08:08 AM
Launching!

a new exhaust will give you 5hp if your lucky. the stock ws6 exhaust is very good. if you go with a catback, you'll just be buying it for sound. do you have to worry about emissions, if not i would go with some long tube headers.
Old 11-02-2004, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a new exhaust will give you 5hp if your lucky. the stock ws6 exhaust is very good. if you go with a catback, you'll just be buying it for sound. do you have to worry about emissions, if not i would go with some long tube headers.
I would expect more from an exhaust, especially magnaflow since it is a straight through design...headers...are an ok idea...but will make it louder...a cut out would be an option however keep it closed for the wife...it will be really loud. as already stated i would go with a lid, exhaust, some type of ram air i suggest the bg ram air system...if you are wanting better times...i would go for a stall and some tires...also depending on what gears you have you might want to consider switching those out...good luck
Old 11-03-2004, 12:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

my advice would be to stay away from SLP, and to plan FAR ahead for what you want out of your car.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by God of Thunder
my advice would be to stay away from SLP, and to plan FAR ahead for what you want out of your car.

I know what I want out of the car for the next year or so. Thats a good time frame. By then your desires/taste can change drastically. But always have long term goals. I'm shootin for twins in '06 on a fully built Fastech motor. a he he he(Major Payne voice).
Old 11-03-2004, 12:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by God of Thunder
my advice would be to stay away from SLP
Why???
Old 11-03-2004, 03:27 AM
TECH Regular

lid or intake and a tune will make you very happy with you car... a stall would help a lot too if you don't want to affect driveability go with sumthing small P.I. 2600 or 2800 you could always restall higher later if you want good luck with your project
Old 11-03-2004, 01:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll get an air lid as my first item. I noticed a mixed review on the SLP lid. I would appreciate brand-name suggestions.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:59 PM
TECH Junkie

www.ls1motorsports.com
direct flo lid and filter for $125
Old 11-03-2004, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

My SLP lid fit great, no issues with clips popping off or anything. One thing you have to realize is, Lids are different. Their are two SLP lids one has a hole on the side and comes with the hose and fittings to reconnect it to the secondary AIR system, the other doesn't. Most other lids do not have the hole and require a clamp-on filter for the secondary AIR system hose. I was going to go with the MTI carbon fiber lid, but did not like he fact of the clamp-on filter being exposed to engine heat and any sort of debris or liquid. Also the SLP looks more "factory" with the hose still going to the airbox. Of course, if you took off your secondary AIR, then no need for the hole or clamp-on filter.
i did a lot of searching on lids, and the SLP was the one I liked best. You can find them for like $90 new, so not a bad investment.
http://www.neweraperformanceparts.co...V=2104521044|0

Sorry if thats confusing, I would post pics but I can't.Someone be willing to post some pics?
Old 11-03-2004, 10:18 PM
TECH Junkie

98 and 99 cars dont have air pumps. SLP does use a different type of plastic than the others which gives it a more factory look. But $75 bucks for a direct-flo and another $50 for the filter. $125 is a hard price to beat. Unless you found a used one in the Parts for Sale forum.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts-sale-45/
Old 11-03-2004, 10:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq

I know what I want out of the car for the next year or so. Thats a good time frame. By then your desires/taste can change drastically. But always have long term goals. I'm shootin for twins in '06 on a fully built Fastech motor. a he he he(Major Payne voice).

Your right, Its hard to plan too much in advance cause new/better stuff comes out all the time. Just stick with trusted/proven brands and youll be alright.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
98 and 99 cars dont have air pumps. SLP does use a different type of plastic than the others which gives it a more factory look. But $75 bucks for a direct-flo and another $50 for the filter. $125 is a hard price to beat. Unless you found a used one in the Parts for Sale forum.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45

Oh, ya, his is a 99, my bad.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Check out ls1speed.com, I got the Whisper lid and i like it just fine. Also i'd probably go with a good set of headers, something like a coated Hooker, or Pacesetter makes a good header for the price. Just those 2 things alone outta get you 30 more rwhp, and if that's not enough get a cutout and a tune.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

One more thing about the SLP lid, it has a lifetime gurantee, others have 2-yrs or so.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:11 PM
Restricted User

magnaflow catback no question