Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Z06 Kill ...

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 09:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Z06 Kill ...

Well, not really a kill, but, the dude looked like he was in shock. I was going home for lunch from work because I live only 4 miles from work. A silver Z06 with an extremely loud exhaust ran me down, literally ... we both turned onto the four-lane and I took the right lane and he came around me to pass pretty abruptly to my left. I got on it but was at the bottom of 2nd (A4) ... really wishing I had a stall converter. I was gonna' let him go, but, he slowed and waited.
When I came up beside him, I opened my electric cutout and he got on it hard. I stomped it and pulled directly behind him and I actually could have bumped his rear bumper, then, I felt trouble hanging with him, but, my Trans Am took a deep breath and let loose from out of nowhere. I continued to hang with him until we hit 100 mph. Then, he barely started to pull but we both let off and he never knew he was about to start to pull away from me. We came up on a redlight and he looked over at me and said, "DAAAAAAAMMMNNNN !!!!!! What the HEELLL you got in that Son-of-a-bitch!!!???" I just looked over at him and said, "... a cam man".
First Z06 I've raced since I added the ported TB and LS6 intake. I can't wait until I get my Offroad downpipes.
Thing is ... this guy was really cool about and pulled away giving me a thumbs-up ... that's how I am when I get beat. I always am friendly about it. I've seen some people get totally bent of out shape when I beat them ... glad I'm not like that.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:46 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow ... that's a pretty impressive kill for an A4 with a 220/220 cam.

Nice job.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:22 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good...death???? Either, way that's a moment that I can't wait for. Hopefully someday I'll be able to hang with a Z06. Has to be a good feeling.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:17 AM
TECH Addict

It's been a lot of money and work and I still want more speed/power out of it, but, I'm about where I want to be. Only problem is that the new C6 Z06 version of the corvette and the 2005 Cobra's just keep getting faster. If I had listened to a lot of people here, the stall converter would have been the first thing I did. It's coming next. Afterward, a 150 HP shot, fuel pump, and injectors will compete my mod's for awhile. This should put me ahead of the new stockers coming out in the coming years.

Someday, if you desire to do so, you will be where a lot of these guys here are. You'll be telling your own kill stories if you just plan your mods accordingly.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Nice race ...Since you were drafting him that coulda been part of the reason that you stayed right on his ***...
Awhile back I raced a WS-6 on the freeway and the same thing happened, except the WS-6 was right behind me and I wasn't pullin on him...We both shut down and hit it again with him right beside me this time...I pulled about 3 cars lengths on him...
You be surprised what wind resistance can do to a car...

Kevin
Old 11-04-2004, 07:12 AM
TECH Resident

Good job. That TR220 cam is supposed to be a real nice cam having tad less power up top than the 224 but a tad more down low too.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Good job hanging w/ the Vette. I've noticed that regular Vette owners tend to not race and be jerks, while Z06 owners tend to be younger and want to race more.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

Default ... well, probably.

I think the Z06 was actually being pushed until we hit about 80. Then, IMHO, he probably began to actually pull me ... due to him being geared for top end speeds ... seeing I have modded my car for more lowend torque, than higher topend power.

As for younger and older age groups driving Z06'S, in general, yes I think younger drivers of Z06's have a tendency to be more aggressive and showy with their toys. Us older guys seem to be more established and confident with our place in life and that we know what we have and don't have to prove. Either that ... or we realize we're over 40 and washed up ... LOL!!!!

Thanks for the comments ... always welcome and would love to hear more.
Old 11-06-2004, 07:00 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

nice run. i cant wait to get a piece of a z06