Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burnt oil smell, blue smoke???

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 08:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Burnt oil smell, blue smoke???

when I leave my car running out of gear for 10 minutes or so, and then get in and back out of my drive way/ parking space at store, whatever, a puff of blue smoke will exit the exhaust and of course it smells like burnt oil. This is only if it sits running for a long period of time. The smoke will clear out before I even get backed out fully so it is just a short burst of blue smoke. I have had friends follow me while I got on it and no smoke. I only noticed this after I took my cats off. Of course I got the fuel smell from not having cats but this smell is oil/puff blue smoke. I talked to a couple of people and my dad is a mechanic but lives 450 miles away and he said it souds like valve seals or I also told him about LS1's using about a qt. of oil evry 3000 miles and oil getting into the intake, he said it could be the pcv hose gummed up full of crap also he said it could be from my Metco breather installed in place of the oil cap. What do yall think?
Old 11-07-2004, 08:57 PM
12 Second Club

I'm by no means an expert but I'd say that you should never see any blue smoke come from the exhaust period (maybe, just maybe a little on startup). I have however seen carberated(sp?) cars puff blue smoke on startup, but not fuel injected. I haven't seen carberated or fuel injected cars puff blue smoke after idling for a while.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:08 PM
11 Second Club

sounds like oil in the intake from the PCV. Its only doing it if you let it Idle for 10 minutes. At Idle the motor makes the most vaccuum. And sucks more through the PCV. If it were valve seals it would smoke on startup after it had been sitting a while.

Brad
Old 11-08-2004, 06:05 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SquintzPallatore
sounds like oil in the intake from the PCV. Its only doing it if you let it Idle for 10 minutes. At Idle the motor makes the most vaccuum. And sucks more through the PCV. If it were valve seals it would smoke on startup after it had been sitting a while.

Brad
Thanks a lot, That is exactly how my father had mentioned it. I just couldn't remember how he worded it. It's always hard to diagnose a problem over the phone. Thanks for everyones help. Would you reccomend a catch can at this point?
Old 11-08-2004, 04:57 PM
12 Second Club

Do a search for catch cans and you'll find its a very good mod. You don't want oil going through the intake and a catch can will solve this.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:27 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tranzaman00
Thanks a lot, That is exactly how my father had mentioned it. I just couldn't remember how he worded it. It's always hard to diagnose a problem over the phone. Thanks for everyones help. Would you reccomend a catch can at this point?

If you want to keep your PCV then yes a catch can will do the trick.

Brad
Old 11-09-2004, 04:21 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks I'll give it a shot.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tranzaman00
Thanks I'll give it a shot.
I was having the same problem with my Z. The catch can helped to clean up the intake, but I still got the poof of blue smoke on startup. I changed the valve seals and I haven't seen any smoke since. The seals also completely eliminated the burning of oil. The car hasn't used any yet since my last oil change.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Z28Venom
I was having the same problem with my Z. The catch can helped to clean up the intake, but I still got the poof of blue smoke on startup. I changed the valve seals and I haven't seen any smoke since. The seals also completely eliminated the burning of oil. The car hasn't used any yet since my last oil change.

Thanks, Mine never does it at start up though,just when it sits at idle for about ten minutes and the you give it a little gas to leave BTW it never smoke guring this ten minute period while ideling only when you give it gas that one time to back out of the driveway. One puff and thats it.

Quick Reply: Burnt oil smell, blue smoke???