Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM DEAD? Wrote C5 LS1edit file into Fbody of same year..dead

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 08:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM DEAD? Wrote C5 LS1edit file into Fbody of same year..dead

I posted a question that i just deleted about whether you can put a C5 tune into a fbody computer. Both are 98's. Before i came back to check, i just went ahead and tried it.

WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

It wrote in with no problem. Then the car wouldnt start or do anything.

So i tried to write my old file back in the car, ANNNNNNNNNNDDDD

It wont connect with the computer. Period. It wont read, it wont write. Nothing.

It says "establishing connection with PCM" and just keeps retrying with no success.

Anyone have any ideas before i have to take it to the dealer to try and reset it or getting it flashed to stock?
Old 11-10-2004, 08:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

98 F-Body is the same PCM as a 97 C5 ... but 98 C5s went to the newer style PCM that 99-02 F-Bodies used

If you can find someone w/HPT local they may be able to recover it... but most likely will need to have a Tech 2 or something to reflash the PCM (if it can make connection)
Old 11-10-2004, 08:48 PM
Teching In

its fried done this before , find a new pcm
Old 11-10-2004, 09:48 PM
Banned

Well saying its fried from putting a tune from a C5 tune into it sounds like jumping to conclusions.

Horist: a C5 98 and newer is the same part # as a fbody PCM?

I have a friend with a TECH 2 at the chevy dealership, Can he reset the computer?
Old 11-10-2004, 10:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by C4VetteLS1
Well saying its fried from putting a tune from a C5 tune into it sounds like jumping to conclusions.

Horist: a C5 98 and newer is the same part # as a fbody PCM?

I have a friend with a TECH 2 at the chevy dealership, Can he reset the computer?
Fried = NO
Wrong OS/CAL = YES

Have your friend with the Tech 2 download your stock Cal and reprogram your pcm. Lesson leaned.

There are no gains from using a y-body program… just work with your stock one.

The pin outs on a 98 f-body pcm are different then 99+ pcms and a 97/98 y-body pcm will work in an f-body with an f-body cal. The y-body has different sensor arrangement e.i. no egr and such.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:37 PM
9 Second Club/LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

98 C5 PCM is the same as a 98 F-body PCM. There is no model year difference in PCM part number between the 2 cars.
98 F & Y are the same.
99-00 F & Y are the same.
01-02 F & Y are the same.

The Chevy dealership may be able to do a stock flash to the PCM and save it. It all depends upon how scrambled it really is. I wouldn't hold my breathe though.

91 Z28 LS2 408CI, LS9 Supercharger, LPE GT7 cam, Yank3000, 3450 raceweight.
Latest numbers: 9.71 ET, 141.42 MPH, 1.40 60' , 610 RWHP Mustang Dyno

www.speartech.com
Old 11-10-2004, 10:45 PM

Also, there are HUGE differences between an F & Y calibration. If you like some of the spark or fueling tables you can copy and paste them and see how they run in your car, but as you discovered, dropping the whole file in is not going to work.

Even taking a PCM from a 98 Corvette and putting it in your car would have no chance of running right, or even starting. They're just too different.

www.speartech.com
Old 11-10-2004, 10:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

oh didn't realize that... I thought the 98 C5s were the beta year for the new PCM .. good info
Old 11-10-2004, 11:02 PM
Banned

Dissonance and Speartech: Thank you very much, Im sitting here looking at this post every 5 minutes waiting for an answer. Thats a lesson learned...im glad it was my personal car and not a customers...

I'll be taking it to the dealership tomorrow to hopefully resolve it. If not i wonder if i need to send it to carputing to get fixed....because my ls1edit is locked to that pcm.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:19 PM
Banned

Ooooo question question, just thought of this then:

If a camaro and vette 98 pcm is the exact same part #, and i wrote a vette file into my fbody computer. Can i put the computer into a C5 vette and read it out of the car that way since its programmed with a vette file?? If so, i could write the fbody file back into the car with it plugged into the C5?

If no, then ill still go to the dealership...thanks guys.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:43 PM

No, that probably wouldn't work either. Based on what happened and the communication problem you are having now, more than likely there were some tables not in the same locations between the two files. That can cause some serious problems.

I give the dealership reflash a 50/50 chance at working. You may have to contact Carputing and see if they can recover it for you (if the dealership reflash doesn't work).

www.speartech.com
Old 11-10-2004, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

These are direct quotes from HP Tuners support.

It is VERY important that you write your VCM with a binary file that is based on the file you initially read from the VCM.

It is also VERY important that if you use another tool to modify the VCM in any way that you re-read the VCM and begin using the new file as the basis of any further mods.

DO NOT:
- write a binary that came from another VCM
- write a binary file that has been created or modified using another software package

So what happens if you do this?
1. If you write an Operating System that is not the same as yours and VCM Flash doesn't catch it - VCM WILL BE FRIED (note: we have checks in place but there more chance of problems on 98 V8 VCMs due to less checks available)
2. There is a chance that the VCM checksum will become corrupted and the engine will not run (generally you will be able to recover the VCM by loading the last know good file back into the PCM using VCM Flash, although this is not guaranteed - we have 100% recovery rate in development testing).

Why is this important?
We have made VCM Flash as robust as possible for these non-segmented binaries by only writing non-critical flash segments, to allow VCM recovery in case of various write failure sceanrio's (such as PC loss of power, baterry low voltage etc.). Above all, we have designed it to work in harmony with VCM Editor such that VCM Recovery is possible in almost all cases.

and more

The "fried" PCM is a myth. The issue is that the calibration has checksum errors or is totally blank depending on the type off error that was encountered during the write process (ie. loss of comms or noisy data line etc...). Our software is flexible enough to allow you to recover from this situation. (Note: ENtire VCM Rewrite feature in VCM Suite Pro is the only exception to this. If you interrupt comms during critical Operating System section writing and power off your VCM you will toast it. Then you have to desolder the chip.). Buta again for normal calibration writes there is no danger.

Sure your local tuner can still download your tune after you have played with things using VCM Suite. Just be sure to ask if they have "locked" the PCM, depending on the method used you may not be able to access the PCM.

We save our binary images unencrypted so your tuner cannot simply load that into LS1Edit
Old 11-11-2004, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

98 c5's also had Electronic Throttle Control correct? That alone should make the flash completly incompatable. Also, generally it isn't safe to copy a Fbody file from one car to another. Any tune should always be based off the cars current flash.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:52 AM

[QUOTE=dlandsvZ28]These are direct quotes from HP Tuners support.

The "fried" PCM is a myth. The issue is that the calibration has checksum errors or is totally blank depending on the type off error that was encountered during the write process (ie. loss of comms or noisy data line etc...). Our software is flexible enough to allow you to recover from this situation. (Note: ENtire VCM Rewrite feature in VCM Suite Pro is the only exception to this. If you interrupt comms during critical Operating System section writing and power off your VCM you will toast it. Then you have to desolder the chip.).

So you can't "fry" it, but you can "toast" it!

How about grilled, with a little BBQ sauce on the side?

www.speartech.com
Old 11-11-2004, 08:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by C4VetteLS1
I'll be taking it to the dealership tomorrow to hopefully resolve it. If not i wonder if i need to send it to carputing to get fixed....because my ls1edit is locked to that pcm.
No you should not have to send the pcm off... the cable is locked to the pcm it's self... so as long as you get a good flash back in to the pcm it should be fine...

Also if it was me I would try to put the pcm in a 98/97 vet and see if you can program it... can’t hurt at this point.

yes 98/97 y-body is the same as 98 f-boby pcm... the program in the pcm tells the pcm how to use the pins them self so just because you have the same pins on the pcm does not mean the pin go to the same place on an f-body vs. y-body.

I cant stress this more your pcm is fine just go to dealer and have the tech 2 fix things... and like you said try the 97/98 y-body thing it might work.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Speartech
No, that probably wouldn't work either. Based on what happened and the communication problem you are having now, more than likely there were some tables not in the same locations between the two files. That can cause some serious problems.

I give the dealership reflash a 50/50 chance at working. You may have to contact Carputing and see if they can recover it for you (if the dealership reflash doesn't work).

Just got back from the dealership, no luck they cant connect to the PCM with thier TECH II stuff.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:58 PM
Banned

Thanks for the info, maybe i can send it to him and get it fixed..
Old 11-12-2004, 06:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have a connection at the dealers a new PCM isn't that much.My friend get's them for $160 for me with the right flash in them.You just need a core to give back.$300 with no core.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:38 PM
TECH Addict

ill try and fix it for you if you send it to me.. i can pull off the flash chip and try to just flash it over to factory fbody tune..
Old 11-12-2004, 08:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wait4me
ill try and fix it for you if you send it to me.. i can pull off the flash chip and try to just flash it over to factory fbody tune..
did you ever try putting in a y-body?

Quick Reply: PCM DEAD? Wrote C5 LS1edit file into Fbody of same year..dead