Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Baldurann's C5 beat my little Hawk....

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Baldurann's C5 beat my little Hawk....

Yes, it's true. I lost to baldurann's C5 tonight... Ran him twice, Once from a 20 mph roll.. He got the jump and put 2 cars on me pretty quick.. I thought I hung in there pretty good. It still felt bad. Then ran from the dig. He stated he was not that strong from the dig.. Our run from my view went like this. I got the jump. Held the lead for a couple seconds and then he pulled on me and took the lead, and held. His car is strong. I guess my hawk has to put it's tailpipes through it's tires and go back to the drawing board.

Last edited by Y2kHawk05; 11-12-2004 at 05:08 PM.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:28 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hehe, I think once you get your hawk tuned you'll be a lot stronger than you are now. Was some pretty fun runs though.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:57 AM
TECH Resident

Nice runs, guys. And it just means it's time to get some mods for your Hawk....and vette. Glad y'all had fun.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What mods have you done baldurann?
Old 11-12-2004, 11:08 AM
12 Second Club

Zip-Tie /w stock filter (K&N in the mail) and dealer-installed Corsa exhaust.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by baldurann
Zip-Tie /w stock filter (K&N in the mail) and dealer-installed Corsa exhaust.
i would love to run you. i know those new vettes are pretty quick though.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:21 AM
12 Second Club

Drive on down to Texas and I'll be there!
Old 11-12-2004, 05:14 PM
On The Tree

Yes, I definitely need the pcm tuning, somehow to figure out how to keep the O2 sensors from blowing and the darn SES light from coming on. Have dreamed big since the runs last night and then wonder if it's really worth all the cash. I lost fair & square and still my hat is off to Baldurann's C5.. Great run, and I consider it a great death. I honestly know where my car stands now. What I can't figure out is how I pulled & beat a STI WRX and did not on the C5....It's still a mystery....Again, great run Baldurann. Your car is sweeeeettttttttt
Old 11-13-2004, 11:04 AM
TECH Resident

Y2kHawk,
Why would you think an STI WRX is faster than an 04 C5?? You didn't mention anything about the STI being modded. Other than the initial launch, an 04 C5 should put a hurting on an STI, stock for stock.

Whitcamaro, what is your car's weight? Nice times in your sig.
Old 11-13-2004, 02:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KB99WS6
Y2kHawk,
Why would you think an STI WRX is faster than an 04 C5?? You didn't mention anything about the STI being modded. Other than the initial launch, an 04 C5 should put a hurting on an STI, stock for stock.

Whitcamaro, what is your car's weight? Nice times in your sig.
I don't think an STI WRX would be faster than an 04 C5. Just confused why I convincing beat the STI rated at 13.1 et 1/4 stock....... I honestly thought the C5's were rated about the same at 12.9 to 13.1 stock (I could be wrong as I have not read up on the C5's lately)

Baldurann's car has two mod's. I have the same 2 (exhaust & Hi flow air) plus SLP LT's, and LW Flywheel. I thought it would be close with my car winning. I didn't which tells me I am not at the 1/4 et I thought. I was hoping for a mid 12. I don't think I am there. Maybe after I can afford to get the pcm tuned. or Maybe not. What would be too funny is if Baldurann has NOS and not telling. I am not saying he does, but it is really screwing with my head. He says he does not have NOS and at this point I have to believe him. His car is pretty quick, I must admit.
Old 11-13-2004, 04:39 PM
TECH Resident

A stock WRX has a good et b/c of the all wheel drive. Even so, C5's will usually managae a better e.t. but with the big difference being trap speed. The C5 will trap much higher. From that 20mph roll the C5 should easily beat an STI. I think a lot of people underestimate C5's, especially the newer ones which are pretty tought competition on the street. Their weight and aero advantage makes a bigger difference than some people think. i think you need to add an LS6 intake, ported TB & maybe ported MAF and tuning before you'll be able to see 12.5 territory, if your lucky. Some people don't even see 12.5's with a cam. It depends on how well your car is tuned and how good of traction you have and how good of a driver you are. Also do you still have the stock catback? if so definitely add that or a cutout to the list as well.

Last edited by KB99WS6; 11-13-2004 at 04:45 PM.
Old 11-13-2004, 07:30 PM
12 Second Club

Nope, no nitrous on me. I don't like the stuff, personally. If it's really bugging you then I'll drive and show you that I don't use the juice.

[edit]
Bah, I hope I didn't just sound like an ***. :x
[/edit]
Old 11-13-2004, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KB99WS6
A stock WRX has a good et b/c of the all wheel drive. Even so, C5's will usually managae a better e.t. but with the big difference being trap speed. The C5 will trap much higher. From that 20mph roll the C5 should easily beat an STI. I think a lot of people underestimate C5's, especially the newer ones which are pretty tought competition on the street. Their weight and aero advantage makes a bigger difference than some people think. i think you need to add an LS6 intake, ported TB & maybe ported MAF and tuning before you'll be able to see 12.5 territory, if your lucky. Some people don't even see 12.5's with a cam. It depends on how well your car is tuned and how good of traction you have and how good of a driver you are. Also do you still have the stock catback? if so definitely add that or a cutout to the list as well.
All of that just to get to a 12.5. I was thinking about the intake, but then maybe not. My wife is all over my back about saving money...Personally, I prefer to spend it. Personally, I don't care much for the Rice burners. So heck with STI's and all the others.

Here's kinda my plan and let me know what you think. First the PCM tuning while adding a 160 thermostat, re-install my 85mm SLP MAF (screen removed) & bellow, possibly port & polish my stock TB. Then I will see where I am at. Then, maybe an X pipe to true duals with SLP resonators. Since my car is a Firehawk, SLP already changed from the cat back - I hate to change it as I actually like the sound of my car now. Although, I hear an X pipe set up is better way to go. I am trying to keep as much original SLP as I can. My car is number 005 of 742 produced for the year 2000. Finally, what are CAGS?
I noticed that in your sig. Also, what kind of times have you trapped?
Old 11-13-2004, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by baldurann
Nope, no nitrous on me. I don't like the stuff, personally. If it's really bugging you then I'll drive and show you that I don't use the juice.

[edit]
Bah, I hope I didn't just sound like an ***. :x
[/edit]
Your car is my mark! As soon as I get my car tuned, I would like to run again. I was just baffled by the difference in our cars. I guess I put more belief in the mods I made, plus you shared your car is one of the stronger cars. I know there are cars that are just "gifted". Yours is probably one of them. We talked enough about NOS that I don't believe you would use the stuff. With the cooler weather finally in H-Town, maybe a good idea to go to Baytown and see what your car will do.
Old 11-14-2004, 01:17 AM
TECH Resident

That plan sounds pretty good to me, every little bit helps. Ported TB and MAF arent big power adders but every little bit helps and as you mod more down the road tey will continue to help. The main things you need IMO though is an LS6 intake, exhaust (catback or true duals), ported TB & tune. Next step and a big one will be a cam. You could also forego the smaller things right now and just save for the cam and than do a tune. Our car's really benefit from a cam, its a huge addition. I'd reccomend the old tried and true favorite street cam the TR224 for a daily driver. No track times yet for my car, sorry.

PS-!CAGS is just the skip shift elimination mod
Old 11-14-2004, 02:54 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Y2kHawk05
Your car is my mark! As soon as I get my car tuned, I would like to run again. I was just baffled by the difference in our cars. I guess I put more belief in the mods I made, plus you shared your car is one of the stronger cars. I know there are cars that are just "gifted". Yours is probably one of them. We talked enough about NOS that I don't believe you would use the stuff. With the cooler weather finally in H-Town, maybe a good idea to go to Baytown and see what your car will do.

Sure, just either drop me a PM or give me a call when you want to run again. And I usually try to make time during the week to go to Baytown, but I usually shy away from it because I don't want to be embarrassed by how bad I am at launching... hehehe
Old 11-14-2004, 11:50 AM
TECH Resident

Hawk, if you plan on doing a bunch of mods, wait to get it tuned after they are done. Don't tune it THEN mod it.
Old 11-14-2004, 11:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Flynlo is right...

you guys should have came to the dyno day me and G-z06 threw at MTI... it was a blast and we had a ton of quick cars
Old 11-14-2004, 01:17 PM
TECH Resident

yeah definitely don't tune and than mod..I though I kinda indicated that already, not to mention it's kind of common sense.

However some places charge very little for "retunes" after your initial tune, so don't feel bad about getting a tune after you do the TB, MAF exhaust mods, but BEFORE the cam (which might be a ways down the road if you even get one at all) Atleast in the mean time you'll have your car running tops and probably save a decent amount in gas mileage until than (with today's gas prices!) lol.
Old 11-14-2004, 02:58 PM
12 Second Club

I was busy sleeping :\