New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats cheaper, entire car or newer engine in older car??

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Whats cheaper, entire car or newer engine in older car??

I am looking for a LS1 equipped vehicle. I have two options, buy a used camaro/firebird or buy a cheap (94 camaro z28) and drop a LS1 into it. I can get the 94 for $300, but it would need both engine and transmission.

Basically, whats cheaper?
-98 or newer that runs (any conditions is fine)
-just a LS1 engine and tranny that work (auto or manual is fine)

Included in this would be the price/hassle of dropping an LS1 into a 94. I have done engine swaps on cars before, just never on a newer domestic.
thanks
Jim
Old 11-12-2004, 06:23 PM
TECH Resident

I would just buy a 98 or 99. You can get them for about 10k. You could probably spend similar money but it's the time involved.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:50 PM
Staging Lane

Default How much is involved?

Originally Posted by wickedwarlock
I would just buy a 98 or 99. You can get them for about 10k. You could probably spend similar money but it's the time involved.
How much would be involved dropping a LS1 in an older body? Whats the hardest part?

Another thing, how much could you get a engine/tranny for?
thanks
Jim
Old 11-12-2004, 11:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Get a totaled car at auction then it is just plug and play swap everything from the donor car. As long as you have something else to drive it's just time. You will pay about four to five grand for a car from salvage pool or wrecked out of the paper. That leaves you a six grand difference to buy mods with if you are up for spending the dough. That is what I am working on doing now. I have a 95 v6 and purchased a rear ended 01 ram air at auction for 4650. It gives me all of the parts I need and when I am finished I will just sell off the remainder of parts. But we also have a shop so all of the swapping and what not is no big deal. It boils down to tools time and desire. I f all of the above are lacking then hands down go hand someone the cash and drive home a car you do not have to dick with.
Old 11-13-2004, 12:08 PM
11 Second Club

Dont drop an ls1 in an older car imo. Would you be happy with the older cars looks? It would be great to find a 98+ body for really cheap then drop an nicer motor in there tho.
Old 11-13-2004, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

ive seen people do the swap and it doesn't look that complicated. The trannys are the same, the drivetrain is the same so it doesn't look THAT hard. I would imagine it would be mostly straight forward. Do a google search on this and you should be able to find a few people that have done this swap. It's really not too common though-Ive seen far more 69 camaros with LS1s than 93-97s. I think it would be pretty cool if you could drop one into like a 90 camaro.
Old 11-13-2004, 01:39 PM
Launching!

drop a 427ci in the older car. it will be more expensive, but a hell of alot faster and more fun to drive.
Old 11-13-2004, 03:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Get a totaled car at auction then it is just plug and play swap everything from the donor car. As long as you have something else to drive it's just time. You will pay about four to five grand for a car from salvage pool or wrecked out of the paper. That leaves you a six grand difference to buy mods with if you are up for spending the dough. That is what I am working on doing now. I have a 95 v6 and purchased a rear ended 01 ram air at auction for 4650. It gives me all of the parts I need and when I am finished I will just sell off the remainder of parts. But we also have a shop so all of the swapping and what not is no big deal. It boils down to tools time and desire. I f all of the above are lacking then hands down go hand someone the cash and drive home a car you do not have to dick with.
just curious, why wouldn't you just get the rear ended car fixed? It wouldn't be more than 5k unless it was major damage? I was just wondering. Sell you 95 v6 and use the money to fix the 01 ram air.

Last edited by wickedwarlock; 11-13-2004 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-13-2004, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by rdavis93
ive seen people do the swap and it doesn't look that complicated. The trannys are the same, the drivetrain is the same so it doesn't look THAT hard. I would imagine it would be mostly straight forward. Do a google search on this and you should be able to find a few people that have done this swap. It's really not too common though-Ive seen far more 69 camaros with LS1s than 93-97s. I think it would be pretty cool if you could drop one into like a 90 camaro.
How much would I be looking at for a working engine/tranny package plus all the extras that would be needed??
Jim
Old 11-13-2004, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

the price depends a lot on what kind of condition the engine is in. The ones that need rebuilt are pretty cheap. It seems like engines and trannys in nice shape are running nearly 2k. The tranny alone is usually like 500-700. Then you just need a computer and run fuel lines to it. The computer usually comes with the engines too.

Quick Reply: Whats cheaper, entire car or newer engine in older car??