Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Duals Set Up

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 09:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True Duals Set Up

Does anyone know about how much the whole setup would be with true duals with a x-pipe. Also is true duals illegal or legal
Old 11-13-2004, 09:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

umm dpends on your setup...do you want the duals to go over, under the axle, or dump before the axle...i'd imagine it depends on where you live....but anything without cats is illegal so it doesn't really matter... umm i'd say going dumped would be illegal if anything....also will be the cheapest and the loudest in terms of interior noise...
Old 11-13-2004, 09:59 AM
Teching In

Yep Id say between $200 to $2000 depending on what all you wanted to go with.
What do you plan on going with? Duals can be made legal if you spend the money.
Old 11-13-2004, 02:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WALLY99'SS
Does anyone know about how much the whole setup would be with true duals with a x-pipe. Also is true duals illegal or legal
Headers - $550
TSP duals dumped- $420
over the axle - $500 give or take
tips - $100
this about a rough estimate. actually price will depend on shop and what brands you go with.
Old 11-13-2004, 04:10 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, if you want to get technical, pretty much anything other than the stock factory exhaust is illegal. Do cops enforce it? Not usually...could they? Most certainly. If you get pulled over, the word sir (or ma'am as may be the case) might end up being your best friend. My exhaust isn't very loud (Kooks headers, catted-y, Hooker), so I've never had any problems. The true duals are a comin' though...only time will tell.
Old 11-13-2004, 04:19 PM
Launching!

I had a local exhaust shop fap up some true duals for me. I went with no X-pipe, 3 inch pipe into 12 inch bullets dumped. Sounds mean as hell. Cost me 140.00 plus the cost of the bullets. Roughly around 210.00 for the complete set up.
Old 11-13-2004, 04:36 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I plan on going cheap...

$225 for Pacesetters
$90 for Sweet Thunder Mufflers
$200 for an exhaust shop to make the X setup.

So at just over $500 you can have a nice X setup with longtubes. I wish I would have thought about this before I bought my GMMG
Old 11-13-2004, 05:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
I wish I would have thought about this before I bought my GMMG
o well, at least you could get some money out of selling the GMMG. most of us have been in that situation. good luck with you setup
Old 11-13-2004, 06:39 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by CrazytrainWS6
o well, at least you could get some money out of selling the GMMG. most of us have been in that situation. good luck with you setup
True. I sold it for what I'll have in my new setup, so I'm not complaining too much. Right now I'm running around with a loudmouth until my headers arrive. Bleh.
Old 11-13-2004, 06:52 PM
On The Tree

DMNSPD, where are you getting pacesetters for 225? Thats a sweet deal if theyr are new.
Old 11-13-2004, 07:37 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by Deividas93GT
DMNSPD, where are you getting pacesetters for 225? Thats a sweet deal if theyr are new.
As much as I dislike my job, it has perks
Old 11-13-2004, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

I was looking into the TSP setup, Im just not sure how loud it would be with the LT's and ORYP..
Old 11-13-2004, 08:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by House347
I was looking into the TSP setup, Im just not sure how loud it would be with the LT's and ORYP..

Not loud at all...untill you throw a big cam in there. The guys at discount tire thougth I was running open headers. I told them I had two mufflers on there and they looked under the car and said oh.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default yes

I had arlington motorsports put true duals on mine with the x-pipe. It ended up costing me 700 dollars. They installed them and it was stainless with bullet mufflers. Now I noticed a night or two ago a guy from Florida had bought a TSP dual set up for his firebird and he had zero ground clearance. My exhaust run up and in the driveshaft hump as far as possible and I have alot more clearance. My torque arm does rest on the pipe when the car is jacked up and the rear is left unsupported. I have 3in, don't fnow if that makes a differance or not. My car is not lowered yet and I do have long tube headers. The sound my car makes is a real attention getter of course my cam probably helps too. But beware the drone and resonance my car at 70mph is almost unbearable. I do enjoy driving by state troops when they have someone pulled over and they hear it. You'll find out if you do it. My advice gmmg chambered w/cutout. They sound just as good, no ground clearance issues.
Old 11-14-2004, 12:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sheikss
But beware the drone and resonance my car at 70mph is almost unbearable.
i hardly listen to my radio anymore. the sound of the exhaust is music to my ears. it is loud inside the car, but i love it. i wish it were louder. everybody has a different toleration of too loud i guess
Old 11-14-2004, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sheikss
Now I noticed a night or two ago a guy from Florida had bought a TSP dual set up for his firebird and he had zero ground clearance.
Hey, that's me! Yeah, my clearance is bad, but I'm also lowered so take that into consideration. I don't scrape nearly as much as you might think though. The TSP dual setup tucks up nicely, your clearance won't be as bad as mine.
Old 11-14-2004, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

TSP duals cost $419 w/ free shipping right now (sponsor Texas Speed and Performance).

True duals are legal (Mustangs and Vette's come w/ them stock). It becomes illegal when you do what most f-bodies do w/ true duals: use bullets and dump them before the rear axle. Bullets and dumps are illegal (but they are NHRA legal btw).
Old 11-15-2004, 08:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well technically, any time you modify the exaust on a emmission controlled vehicle its illegal. In some places, like the state I live in, its illegal to not have the exaust come out the back past the gas tank buuuttttt you see dumps out there on the car

If your worried about getting a ticket, I wouldnt sweat it. In some states they can say you look tired and you can have your license taken away. The point is, if a cop wants to give you a ticket, hes going to give you one.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

Anytime you move the cats from their original location makes it illegal. That's why most people just do cat backs.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the TSP exhaust for a while now, the sound is great and the clearance is nice. What i did for the back was take a jack, and push those things up nice (with the mufflers on already). Have not had a problem yet with the cops, but i also live in Texas.