Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

First Appearance Mod!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 09:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default First Appearance Mod!!!

Well, I've finally done something to make my car look non-stock.

Smoked lights
Closeup shot (and now my wallpaper)

The color I used was a Daimler Chrysler Charcoal Grey Metallic. I thought that it'd compliment the car better than black, and I can honestly say that I am overly satisfied with my choice. Now, however, I have the problem of what to do with the rest of the front end. I know that I want to get rid of that ugly factory grille, and replace it with either the Stull brushed aluminum or black powdercoated aluminum. I can't decide. I was wondering if I could get an opinion on that, as well as how it'd look with clear corners. Any kind of pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah, and I don't see why everyone says that it's such a PITA to do, I had no trouble at all. Total time for the mod was like, three hours, and I was taking my sweet time, since I was doing most of it at work.

And mad props are due to ls1_sounds. His write-up a while back on how to sand down and polish yellow and spiderwebbed headlights proved to be worth its weight in gold. So ls1_sounds. It was a lot of work, in fact, I rubbed the skin off of my right hand index and middle fingers, but the difference is amazing. I can actually tell that my hyper-white lights have a blue tinge now.
And, just for fun, here's a pic of my stainless steel switchplate. No switches yet, I'm gonna use it for a line-lock and electric cut-out. I just got bored one day at my shop, and got busy with some spare stainless and a cut-off wheel. Sorry for the fingerprints on it, I didn't realize it was so dirty until I got the pics back...

Switchplate

Anyhow, comment and suggestions would be welcomed and appreciated.

Later,
Allen
Old 11-19-2004, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The lights look great! I think you're right about the color choice too. Polishing the headlights lenses requires a ton of elbow grease, but the results are well worth it and the price is right!
Old 11-19-2004, 12:53 AM
11 Second Club

Dude, much appreciation for the write up. I never would've thought of that. It took a full day of off and on work for each lens. The passenger side was screwed up worst of all, and I think that it looks better. I mean, you couldn't even see the chrome in the lens for all the yellow spider webs in them. I wish that I had a before picture to show you all how drastic a difference polishing them up really made. They looked twice as bad as the one in your write up.

And versus $150 a pop for new lenses, Hell yeah the effort is worth it, even my sore fingers. Best of all, I'm 99% sure that I'm the first in the area with this mod. There's one guy with smoked Halos, but anybody can buy those. I just don't like the halo look.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good!!!
Old 11-19-2004, 11:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Looks good, but go down to Pep Boys and buy a replacement lug nut cover.

-Mike
Old 11-19-2004, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's a close-up of my headlight before I started, so if yours was a lot worse than that I feel bad for your fingers!!!

http://public.fotki.com/jaime302/car.../100_0981.html

Then click on the Get Original Uploaded Photo link.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:49 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
Looks good, but go down to Pep Boys and buy a replacement lug nut cover.

-Mike
I was wondering if anyone would notice. There were two missing when I got the car. But I'm getting new wheels soon, so I'm just not worried about it.

Originally Posted by Ls1 Sounds
Here's a close-up of my headlight before I started, so if yours was a lot worse than that I feel bad for your fingers!!!
Yeah, mine actually was a tad worse. I dunno what was wrong with them. Lotta UV's I guess. And my fingers will heal in a few days... Nothin' they haven't been subjected to before.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Post some more pics of the car. That's a nice color!
Old 11-20-2004, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats looks VERY clean!!! i'm not big on "look at me" mods but that is truely clean
Old 11-21-2004, 01:58 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JackZ28
Post some more pics of the car. That's a nice color!
Thanks. I would post more pics, but I have no digital camera. I guess that I'll have to borrow someone's.

Originally Posted by ramairstyle00
thats looks VERY clean!!! i'm not big on "look at me" mods but that is truely clean
I appreciate it. That's what I'm shooting for. I've rethought it, and looked around at other cars, and I think that I'm gonna leave the rest of the car alone, save for the Ultra Z hood I want and the SS spoiler.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:05 PM
Teching In

looks really good, you did a nice job..love the color

Quick Reply: First Appearance Mod!!!