Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QTP y-pipe is hangs LOW..... too low.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 11:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default QTP y-pipe is hangs LOW..... too low.

I just put on a set of QTP headers....and they fit nice..... But,

The y-pipe is a WHOLE different story. I realize my lowered car is part of the problem, but the fit of this Y is really crappy. It comes in 4 pieces and is a real pain to fit up. The way I had to tweak it to fit makes me wonder about leakage problems, but don't know the verdict on that yet. The 4" flowmaster merge collector is HUGE, so my d/s loop is out the window, and it comes REALLY close to the driveshaft (less ground clearance here. too), but I have a larger 3-1/2" shaft. Those with smaller diameter shafts will probably be O.K.

I doubt that I'll get happy with all this, and I doubt QTP will be interested in taking back an already installed system, so I won't ask. I guess it's time to try my skills at making my own y-pipe.

Kind of a bummer.... $310 + hassle + frustration = expensive parts for the spare pile.

I know some of you are thinking that this is "normal" for trying to fit a 3" y under a lowered car, but think again. The "cheapo" Pacesetter y may not be as fancy at the collector, but I've installed two of these on lowered cars and they fit really well. They follow the contour of the underside correctly and have a couple of flattening spots where the close interferece spots are. And only two pieces makes it nice to work with.

QTP needs to take a look at the Pacesetter Y and make a couple of improvements on theirs.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:25 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the y pipe is hanging low you need to adjust it. It comes in multiple piece for the adjustablity. We have them on many lowered cars with out any problems. One being my own. Give us a call on monday.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Barry:

I adjusted until I was blue in the face. I'll call you on Monday, but I'm not sure what you can tell me that I didn't try already. I just took an FLP system off my car, so I have a little experience in dealing with a multiple-piece system, but this one is kicking my butt. The angles just don't work in all cases. Maybe you have an option I haven't tried.... I hope so anyway.

Scott.

Originally Posted by Quick Time
If the y pipe is hanging low you need to adjust it. It comes in multiple piece for the adjustablity. We have them on many lowered cars with out any problems. One being my own. Give us a call on monday.
Old 11-21-2004, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Let us know whether or not you get it fixed.
Old 11-21-2004, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like barry said, if your y-pipe hangs low, it's not adjusted properly.

I spent a couple of hours adjusting mine for maximum ground clearance. My car is lowered a little over 1.5 inches and I have a 3.5" driveshaft as well.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Everyone please keep in mind that I am a little frustrated, tired, stressed, etc. I should have called Barry FIRST before posting.

I've talked with Barry and he's being very helpful. I took a day off from the car stuff and will take a fresh look at it today.

QTP has done nothing wrong. All of our cars are slightly different, so fitment issues will pop up from time to time. I guess looking back, I've been pretty lucky, so I guess if this is my biggest problem, then I must be doing O.K.

Scott.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ScottyG
Everyone please keep in mind that I am a little frustrated, tired, stressed, etc. I should have called Barry FIRST before posting.

I've talked with Barry and he's being very helpful. I took a day off from the car stuff and will take a fresh look at it today.

QTP has done nothing wrong. All of our cars are slightly different, so fitment issues will pop up from time to time. I guess looking back, I've been pretty lucky, so I guess if this is my biggest problem, then I must be doing O.K.

Scott.
Sounds like you have my kind of short fuse patience. Good luck with the project. Tell you how my QTPs tuck up in a couple of hours.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:51 PM
FormerVendor

The three bolt flange peice of the y pipe was the cure for all my pains. depending on its orientation you cant tighten 2 of the bolts to pull the y pipe closer to the floor board. I found this out after installing it myself and then taking it to the exhaust shop for some leaks.

The tech hit the bots with his air rachet and it pulled the y-pipe right off my crossmemebr and now it tucks up there a little tighter than before
Old 11-22-2004, 05:25 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BAD-SS
Sounds like you have my kind of short fuse patience. Good luck with the project. Tell you how my QTPs tuck up in a couple of hours.
Nah, it's not just him. I had a heck of a time installing my Dual Elec. Cutout QTP Y-pipe. Needed to go to the exhaust shop for final adjustments/fitment. Actually, they took the whole thing off and put it back on again. The biggest problem with my setup was about 1 foot downstream of the driver side header collector, where no matter how much we twisted/tweaked that segment of the Y-pipe, it still wanted to bang against the rail of the frame of the underbody. We gave up and shoved/wedged a piece of duct fiberglass there to prevent metal to metal banging which would set off knock sensors.
I had all the connections welded up to prevent flex/leaks.

Word of advice: Take your QTP Y-pipes to a good exhaust shop- have them install it. Save yourself many hours of bleeding knuckles.

Other than initial fitment frustrations, the design of the QTP rocks for free, unrestricted airflow.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:06 PM
12 Second Club

mine and my buddies car are the same way. with it on the ground i couldnt even slide my hand under it, it was that close to the ground. i had to completly rebuild my y pipe. thats 30 bucks out the door. im getting hookers next time.