Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need cam, but MANY restrictions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 08:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Question Need cam, but MANY restrictions...

To start off, i absolutely love the T-Rex cam and would have it in my car right now if I didn't have so many restrictions . However, the restrictions are as follows: i MUST pass emissions without a doubt (i live in the most **** county in the states), my car needs to be able to be driven daily (i can deal with a decent amount of loss of streetability, but not so much that I will want to end my life in traffic), and I don't have the time/money to be replacing springs every 10k miles. The only cams I have lately been interested in are the T-rex, the TSP torquer, the 231/237, and TR224. However, the t-rex is obviously out of my league with the prior restrictions, but i'm not really sure as to how the rest of them rate. I still have my cats, so that'll help a little. But, I'd just like to know how people's experiences with these, in terms of my restrictions, have been. I am also very open to new cam suggestions. But, bottom line, i'd like to get the biggest cam possible that meets my needs because I'm really itching to hit 400hp .

P.S. - Two more random questions... are Jet Hot JT's emission legal if i have cats? And does anyone know which Optima Red Top fits in our cars?
Old 11-24-2004, 09:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the Optima 75/35 will fit at least that's what optima's site says.

Other than that I have no idea on your questions.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:03 PM
TECH Resident

long tubes r technically not legal because they move the cats... it depends on how **** they r, if they see cats, they may pass it, but if they r sticklers for the rules, and see long tubes, they may blow u out... the 224 on a 114 would be the biggest to pass emissions with a good tune... without longtubes, u may want a split duration, maybe a 220/226 or something like that...
Old 11-24-2004, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only cam in your list that will surely pass emissions is the TR224. No LT headers are emissions legal, they'll pass the emissions but not the visual.
To get near 400 rwhp with the TR224 you will need all bolt-ons.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

Long tubes w/o cats are legal in Ohio if one is able to get"Collector" license plates. You may want to check the state laws in VA to see fi they are similar to Ohio.
Old 11-25-2004, 02:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

224 Cam with a good set of heads. The usual bolt ons. PCM tune. 400hp with no loss in drivablity!! Have fun!!

You have to check VA's smog laws for your headers. They're all different. Just be glad you're not in Cali....
Old 11-25-2004, 02:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

BBK 1 3/4 shorties + hi flow cats at original points and Stealth 1 or Stealth II from MTI.
Old 11-25-2004, 03:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why not the ole ls6 cam? never hafta change valve springs once the ls6 are in and get a good gain in performance for very little coin
Old 11-25-2004, 03:19 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just spray the car leave it all stock and spray it. How about the sts turbo kit? if your only looking for 400RWHP and emissions are your foe then i would look at ALL the power adder options.
Old 11-25-2004, 06:16 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Well it just depends on your approach. Predator- has a good stealth approach that I like, but I also like hearing the cam a little to so it would be your choice. I have seen people hit the 400rwhp mark with little cams like a C1 222/566/222/566 112. But you would nee to get it on at least a 114. There are other putting 400 down with the LS6 cam and ported heads to. You are just going to have to experiment a little. my 224/230 cam has almost no overlap and you would need to know what you are listening for to know there is a cam in it etc. A blower or turbo would get you there and keep the emissions guys happy. Good luck with your decision.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

I have thought about the STS kit but I don't exactly have that 4 or 5k to shell out right now... and I don't really see me having it at any point. Two grand is my upper limit right now, which is why i was thinking of the cam / headers options. I'm in college so I don't have a multitude of funds. I'm just looking for something to give me some really good hp numbers without breaking my bank. Plus, I absolutely love the lopey sound of an aggressive cam. I'm just trying to find a means to make this all happen for me.

However, the past couple times I have done emissions, I don't believe they looked UNDER my car, just at the engine. And, of course they hooked up the tubes to my exhaust and ran the tests. I could be wrong, but I just don't remember them ever looking under the car. At any rate, Predator-Z mentioned just doing high-flow cats (are these emissions legal due to the increased flow?) and doing a Stealth cam from MTI. What kind of numbers are these cams putting out, and how hard are they to tune? I really appreciate all the responses guys. Thanks
Old 11-25-2004, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Bearcat Steve
Long tubes w/o cats are legal in Ohio if one is able to get"Collector" license plates. You may want to check the state laws in VA to see fi they are similar to Ohio.
Collector Plates in Ohio only means you don't have to go through E-Check, but if you get pulled over and the cop it a *****, he can get you for visual check if he looks.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Collector plates as in it is a collector's car? If so, would those equate to antique plates? Because that is all I have seen around here that deviates from the normal plates.

And on a side note, no one can see under my car unless it is up on a rack b/c it is lowered and has the RS ground effects
Old 11-25-2004, 11:10 AM
That's what she said...

get a cam w/ a standard split, not to obnoxious, then hit it with a SMALL dry shot, your 400 desires will be met easily.

w/ some cutouts, your car would sound mean as hell, and the cam would definatly be heard, even if it was not as big as a t-rex or g5x3.

futral motorsports is having a cam sale right now(360$ish for a cam), check out the group purchase section or their website. they have their website laid out with the cams in increasing duration, w/ a wide variety.
Old 11-25-2004, 02:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
Collector plates as in it is a collector's car? If so, would those equate to antique plates? Because that is all I have seen around here that deviates from the normal plates.
In Ohio, Collector plates are different than Antique plates (or historic plates as they are called in Ohio). To qualify as a collector car, it has to be a limited edition. The SS cars qualify since they are a numbered vehicle.

Also, Billium SS is right in that Collector plates in Ogio exempts one from eCheck. I look at it that assuming one isn't running open headers and generally being a pain in the backside to the rest of the population, most cops have far more important things to do than look for cats.
Old 11-26-2004, 01:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=However, the past couple times I have done emissions, I don't believe they looked UNDER my car, just at the engine. [/QUOTE]

Maybe so, but I can see my LT's all the way down to the collector through the engine bay if I look at the correct angle.
Old 11-26-2004, 08:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

[QUOTE=blkZ28spt]
Originally Posted by However, the past couple times I have done emissions, I don't believe they looked UNDER my car, just at the engine. :)[/QUOTE

Maybe so, but I can see my LT's all the way down to the collector through the engine bay if I look at the correct angle.

This is also true. I guess from the responses I have gotten so far, I should just go with a baby(er) cam like the TR224 and get some high flow cat's. I realize this isn't going to put me anywhere close to the 400 mark I'm lookin for, but I guess it's really the best I can do... any other suggestions as to a combination for excellent gains without having to "make friends" with the emissions guy?
Old 11-26-2004, 09:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"In Ohio, Collector plates are different than Antique plates (or historic plates as they are called in Ohio). To qualify as a collector car, it has to be a limited edition. The SS cars qualify since they are a numbered vehicle.

Also, Billium SS is right in that Collector plates in Ogio exempts one from eCheck. I look at it that assuming one isn't running open headers and generally being a pain in the backside to the rest of the population, most cops have far more important things to do than look for cats."

Not so, I have a 99' T/A with Collector plates. So it's not limited edition vehicles; it's simply because they stopped producing the F-Body in 2002. So any last gen F-bod works to get the plates.

The stipulation was:

1. You have another car registered in your name that you drive MORE than the collector car.
2. The 'collector' car needs proof it's either raced or shown. I proved it's a heavy autox car.

And now I run LT's, no cats through a 3-1/2" exhaust.

Cops don't bother, some have pulled me over to check out the car but no tickets for loudness.
Old 11-26-2004, 02:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Damn, wish I could do that. Don't think I can though. At any rate... are high flow cat's emissions legal? In being that they are high flow, do they let more crap through (enough to fail me at emissions)? If they are legal, I guess they are my best bet.
Old 11-26-2004, 02:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Emission testing centers don't dyno run the cars. They just read PPM of carbon. So tune it lean using a CO2 reader and there you go.