Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ditching the stock PCM?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 04:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ditching the stock PCM?

I'm intrested in ditching my stock PCM, what are some of the good aftermarket alternitaves?

I would like something that will work with twin MAFs.

Has anyone here ever made their own? The only hard part would be making interface boards to read the sensor data and shoot it into a linux box, other than that writing the code would be pretty damn easy).
Old 11-29-2004, 11:39 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by term
I'm intrested in ditching my stock PCM, what are some of the good aftermarket alternitaves?

Has anyone here ever made their own? The only hard part would be making interface boards to read the sensor data and shoot it into a linux box, other than that writing the code would be pretty damn easy).

It depends on how much you want plug and play integration. Accel has a unit that is plug_and_play; BS3 is another one that is plug_and_play for the LS1's that has been getting a lot of praise. There are many other alternatives that I would prefer personally such as Electromotive and Autronic but these two would require a good bit of splicing and the stock gauges would be out of the picture.

Their is a couple of Open Source and Closed Source DIY EFI Systems out that you can build or have them build and you can tweak the code at will. None are Linux based as they don't run an operating system per say. It is all low level assembler directly booting the microcontroller. I would highly advice against trying to roll your own. I would pick up one of the DIY projects as it will save you more time and trouble or just buy one that you can get a base calibration to get you started for your engine. Autronic has an “Auto-Tune” feature which almost eliminates the keyboard input required to get your car dialed in.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I might be biased, but i would not ditch the factroy computer until you make lots and lots of power (900+)

harlan is running what? 170 mhp on a stock computer. (twin maf's too )

Ryan
Old 11-29-2004, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by term

What is it that you think the stock computer will not do that you need it to do?
Old 11-30-2004, 09:54 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bryan Wilkinson
What is it that you think the stock computer will not do that you need it to do?
Well Harlan got someone to build him a few black boxes, one of which is a twin maf translator box that I cannot get, I've asked him, and he said the guy may release it in the future.

Also, intigrated boost, nitrous, and fuel control stuff would be nice if I were to work out a custom PCM.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think that Matt's is really a 'stock' computer as most people think of one. You need to understand that he can do things in there that 99.99% of other people simply cannot...I heard somewhere that the computer he is using is a 2005 C6 prototype. Maybe he can clarify though.

I have heard rumors that the HP Tuners guys are working on a solution that will allow the stock computer to work with a 2-bar MAP. That would offer the ability to tune with some amount of 'boost' accomodation by the PCM.

If you are set on an aftermarket solution then I would strongly suggest BS3...seems like the limited number of people that are using it are having very good luck with it.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Scott 98Z M6
I don't think that Matt's is really a 'stock' computer as most people think of one. You need to understand that he can do things in there that 99.99% of other people simply cannot...I heard somewhere that the computer he is using is a 2005 C6 prototype. Maybe he can clarify though.

I have heard rumors that the HP Tuners guys are working on a solution that will allow the stock computer to work with a 2-bar MAP. That would offer the ability to tune with some amount of 'boost' accomodation by the PCM.

If you are set on an aftermarket solution then I would strongly suggest BS3...seems like the limited number of people that are using it are having very good luck with it.

Don't forget the MEgasquirt... will do anything a BS3 unit will do (except for sequential, it's in development now) for 1/5 the price...
Old 11-30-2004, 01:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Nope, stock box. Lot's of keyboard time though. C6 box is a completely different animal.

And yes, I talked to Keith at the shootout earlier this month. They got a 2 BAR based speed density hack working and he was trying to get me to play with a proposed 3 BAR setup.

They might be some solutions to keeping the cluster working w/ a stand alone coming, but for now the HP tuner setup might be the best bet to keep the rest of the car happy. No MAF to worry about then.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Harlan, it was great talking to you about it.. I think you'll really like the quality of our 2 bar setup. I can't go into all the details about it but we cover all the bases with the modification.

We have cars running our 2 bar setup right now and hope to have our public version available for purchase in the near future.

You'll be able to remove your MAF and run in Speed Density mode with boost reference now that you have a 2bar MAP sensor. You can add fuel via lbs of boost as well.

We'll have more information VERY soon.

Thanks!

- Keith, HP Tuners
Old 11-30-2004, 09:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Keith,

Question on your 2 bar setup, I'm not interested in ditching the maf, But i am wondering if the 2 bar map will allow the computer to know the pressure drop across the injectors is droping under boost? If so this will save me the expense of installing a boost/vac referenced fuel system.

Ryan
Old 11-30-2004, 09:43 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Ryan, the PCM will use the INJ table still as vacuum reference. Anything that registers boost will use the 0 VAC cell.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the quick responce.

That is what i assumed, but figured it didn't hurt to ask.

Ryan
Old 12-01-2004, 02:25 AM
TECH Veteran

In all honesty, the best way to setup the fuel system is with a manifold referenced regulator.

Keith, you'd have to figure out something more than a 2 BAR before i can play with it I'm actually gonna be using an extra fuel pressure gauge sensor to log boost now. A 3 BAR ain't gonna cut it anymore
Old 12-01-2004, 08:43 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Harlan, shoot me an e-mail with what you require and I'll see if we can do it for you.

We'll do what we can to get you running our stuff.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Harlan, your correct, and my plans are to follow your incon fuelsystem setup.

I was just wondering if the 2 bar setup addressed the pressure drop.

Ryan
Old 12-02-2004, 03:16 AM
On The Tree

Keith,
You sold me, just placed my order. Can't wait to get the update as soon as you its done. 2 Bar should work fine for a while

Kevin
Old 12-03-2004, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is there no way to go with/tune for two separate MAF's with the factory computer? I wouldn't have thought it'd be tough to just 'split' the signals.