Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True duals or cut outs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 12:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default True duals or cut outs?

I am thinking about doing a cam, and I know the only way to get the most power out of it is run true duals with an x pipe and bullet style mufflers. I would love that sound, but I've already been getting complaints about just my loudmouth exhaust. With true duals and a cam, I will probably do the G5X3 cam, my motto is go big or go home, and if Im going to spend all this money and time putting a cam in, I might as well try to go as fast as possible with it. My question is, which is better, true duals or two cutouts after each header as far as power goes? I am looking to quiet the car down as much as possible, for a more stealth and for people complaining so much. So is there any real difference with cutouts vs true duals? If not, I can put stock cats and muffler on the car and run two electric cutouts and whenever I want to race, simply open them up, but when im coming home late one night, I can have them closed and not wake up the neighborhood, yet still maintain the same power. Thanks for any help.
Old 12-11-2004, 01:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, the loudmouth exhaust is the loudest there is. I had TD's with bullets and hated it. I went back to a catback. If you do duals, get the borla XR1's. They simply rock.

In regards to power, I don't know for sure, but I believe you will pick up more from having the duals then just straight cutouts. I love the way my car sounds now. It perfect.
Old 12-11-2004, 05:16 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

If you do duals, get the borla XR1's. They simply rock.

Thats what im getting ready to do. Are people going with 2 1/2 or three inch before the axle.
Old 12-11-2004, 05:33 PM
Launching!

IMO: if it is a daily driver and you would like a quiet vehicle at times, go with the dual cutouts.

It is true, that you probably wont see quite the gains, but they are probably minimal and when calculating risk vs benefit (the risk being hearing loss, headache, etc. While, benefit would be relaxing while you drive, not pissing the neighbors off all the time, not having cops up your *** all the time, not having that loud highway drone at 1800 rpm's on a long drive, etc). I think you would benefit more with the cutouts.

Now if it was not a daily driver, I would put the TD's on in a heart beat and never look back.

This is all just some opinions I have developed over the period of time i have had my loudmouth/ORY/mild cam setup.
Old 12-11-2004, 05:46 PM
TECH Regular

Well it looks like I will probably go with dual cut outs, I will get some cats and a stock muffler maybe to give my car a sleeper look. I'm assuming there isn't more then a 5-10rwhp difference, if that, nothing too drastic and I can deal with a little bit less power if it saves me from getting tickets and complaints etc. Thanks for the replies.
Old 12-11-2004, 07:22 PM
11 Second Club

Get true duals. They sound absolutely awsome and make more power, especially torque and power under the curve. As for volume, they aren't all THAT loud. There was a minimal difference between stock plus loudmouth and LT's/no cats/duals on mine when I installed the headers/duals. I coudn't even tell you which setup was louder.
Old 12-11-2004, 09:00 PM
TECH Regular

Your saying true duals are about as loud as the loudmouth? True duals would be cheapier, if I went with the TSP truel duals. I really would like to go with borla XR1 mufflers, I love the sound of borla, but they are a bit pricey and a little bigger so I would have less ground clearance. I guess when I go to do a cam, I'll try out the true duals with XR1 mufflers and see how that is, and if its too loud, then I can easily sell it and go to a quieter setup. I guess my mind changed again, damn trying to decide on what mods to do is sooo hard!!!!
Old 12-11-2004, 09:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Red91vette
Your saying true duals are about as loud as the loudmouth? True duals would be cheapier, if I went with the TSP truel duals. I really would like to go with borla XR1 mufflers, I love the sound of borla, but they are a bit pricey and a little bigger so I would have less ground clearance. I guess when I go to do a cam, I'll try out the true duals with XR1 mufflers and see how that is, and if its too loud, then I can easily sell it and go to a quieter setup. I guess my mind changed again, damn trying to decide on what mods to do is sooo hard!!!!

Here is a clip of my car with the Borlas. All was done with 3" and you can tell how much clearance I have on a lowered car. I don't hit anything.

True Duals
Old 12-11-2004, 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

IMO, TSP is not that loud, i have a stock cam as of now. Like everyone has said, you will lose a little hps with the cat back. The true duals are loud, yes, but i dont think they are as loud as the loudmouth exhaust. But, i have heard that many people once having a cam makes the true duals much louder. Just depends on what sound you like i guess.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:12 PM
11 Second Club

I vote for true duals. (almost always do, lol). Yes, that is correct, I am saying that stock plus loudmouth has a volume comparable to LT's/duals with no cats.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
I vote for true duals. (almost always do, lol). Yes, that is correct, I am saying that stock plus loudmouth has a volume comparable to LT's/duals with no cats.
I will disagree to an extent. Depending on the mufflers you choose, the volume will change. Like I said before, with the bullets, the car was loud. Since I went to the borlas, it is much smoother and more mellow. Little bit deeper then my Hooker Catback was.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im happy with my duals. Look in sig. Sound files are on LS1sounds. They are quieter and sound better that my LTs ORY and open cutout. Very clean and not obnoxious. No drone inside either.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

My car is just as loud as loud mouth, only deeper and more agressive. If there is a way to fab the XR1's where my thunders are, and have it be quited, it might do it.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:14 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Black02SS
I will disagree to an extent. Depending on the mufflers you choose, the volume will change. Like I said before, with the bullets, the car was loud. Since I went to the borlas, it is much smoother and more mellow. Little bit deeper then my Hooker Catback was.
True, bullets are fairly loud. I went from stock plus loudmouth to duals with bullets and it is comparable. I think if you were to use a quieter muffler it would actually be quieter, or at least seem to be quieter, than stock plus loudmouth. Will sound 100000X better and make better power though.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I vote for both. Just do what I plan to do. Put dual cutouts after each header and then run true duals, therefore if if is not loud enough open the plates and if u dont like it sell it and go catback. Whatever you do get the electric cutouts their bad as hell!!
Old 12-11-2004, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was wondering, has anyone done duals over the axle, with the mufflers behind the axle, and electric cutouts behind the X-pipe? Would this even be possible? It would basically be like running a full dual exhaust all the time (put quiet mufflers on if you want to even) and then you could have dumps after an X-pipe (to get the scavenging effect and more power) without going through mufflers.

So it would go:
Headers
Pipe
X-pipe
Dual electric cutouts
Pipe over axle
Mufflers
Tips

Is this possible? My reasoning is that I already have one 3" Streetpro cutout, and I could get a second for the other side and still run duals over the axle that are quiet on the street. Would the cutouts add any power?
Old 12-12-2004, 12:20 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by nharrison02ss
I vote for both. Just do what I plan to do. Put dual cutouts after each header and then run true duals, therefore if if is not loud enough open the plates.........Whatever you do get the electric cutouts their bad as hell!!
That's my goal as well. Cam is on it's way, then a tune, and the next things in line are LS6 intake, LCA's, and electric cutous.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'd like to do the E-cutouts after my X but it would be tight. If Streetpro made them in stainless I'dhave them already but they don't.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:32 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BLASTER
I'd like to do the E-cutouts after my X but it would be tight. If Streetpro made them in stainless I'dhave them already but they don't.
Heck with that, gotta put them before the X, as close to the collector as physically possible.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
Heck with that, gotta put them before the X, as close to the collector as physically possible.
I've always heard that running through an X-pipe will actually increase the power over dumps after the collectors. That was why I said that. Is this wrong?