Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

welcome to my nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 08:09 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default welcome to my nightmare

dipstick tube is broken off in the motor...and its stuck damn good.

i was pulling my exhaust out to put my headers on and the dipstick tube wouldnt come out. it would wiggle back and forth, and spin in the hole, put it wouldnt come out, tugged and tugged and finally it popped out, now the end of it is broken off in the motor.

what is that white hex headed sensor that screws into the oilpan(or block i cant remember)? can i take it out?

plus, is it possible to remove the oil pan w/out dropping the k-member?

gimmie some help guys, pretty somber over here.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that sensor is either a oil life sensor or a oil level sensor, yes u can remove it. i am pretty sure u have to drop the k member a lil to get the oil pan off
Old 12-13-2004, 08:37 PM
That's what she said...

well i dont have an oil life sensor so it must be oil level.

does it just screw out?
Old 12-13-2004, 09:45 PM
wrencher

Yes it spins out, the connector can be a bitch to get at & release.
You might be able to drop the pan down enough & get needle nose on it & pull it thru.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ugh..I would hate if it that happened. Yea, that should be your oil level sensor, I believe that is what there for my 98 as well.

K-memeber should have to come out..and it would never hurt to take it out anyway to get the pan out. I'm not sure about it if screws out or not though
Old 12-14-2004, 01:32 AM
That's what she said...

thanks for the replies guys, you're making me feel better but im still feeling pretty sick about it. if worse comes to worse, i've got enough stuff taken loose as of now that i only need to remove about 3 more bolts to pull the damn motor.

i've got the starter out, and the plug-in removed from the oil level sensor. and a plug thats up above that one which i have no idea what it is. any idea?

how much of a bitch is it to remove the k-member? i've read about doing it here and there, but never actually thought about doing it. i understand you have to unbolt the a-arms, steering rack, motor mounts, then there is like 6 bolts holding it to the body?

my uncle is getting a bore-scope (sp?) tomorrow, we are going to stick it in the oil plug hole and see what we can do. i was in the driveway for 7 hours, 5 of those i was by myself working to get everything apart. i had to get down right creative to get the old y-pipe off of the 3" tube, had to put a ratchet strap from the k-member to the y-pipe, and tighten her down, then a few smacks with a hammer and ker-plop.

another thing, any pieces of metal that fall in the hole, will they fall straight to the bottom of the oilpan? is there a gasket on the oilpan? is it re-usable?

thanx guys, casey
Old 12-14-2004, 01:51 AM
On The Tree

DAMN, goodluck, any ideas what cuased this to happen??
Old 12-14-2004, 02:11 AM
That's what she said...

yeah i think i caused it to happen, i forgot to remove it before i tried to pull the exhaust manifold. i think i may have bent it down some with the manifold. i had to put the manifold back up to its original position and then it wouldnt come out, it would spin in its hole, and wiggle VERY VERY freely, but it just wouldnt pop out, then finally it came out, minus the end.

i really diddnt need this, i'm guessing if i get the oil pan off, i can see the hole easily from the inside and maby knock it out?
Old 12-14-2004, 02:20 AM
On The Tree

damn so in that case since i have 2 bolts on either side holding my manifolds on until i can get them off to swap out my new headers lol, prolly be a good idea to pull it out now... i really dont know that much about all this but i dont see how pulling exhuast causes that to get stuck.. maybe im misunderstanding something who knows, ur talking about the tube in which ur oil dipstick goes in... i may have completely overlooked this getting in the way.. thank god it god cold and i got tired before i finished up i guess.. please give me some more info on how to prevent this.. i get excited when i pull the tb off... so im fairly new to all this!
Old 12-14-2004, 02:21 AM
On The Tree

also sorry to jack ur thread man... really didn't mean to ask dumb questions sure ur already upset and ticked off with ur situation without me chiming in..
Old 12-14-2004, 02:50 AM
That's what she said...

no problem man, the tube runs throught the exhaust manifold and it must be removed to pull the manifold out thru the bottom. one bolt holds the tube's mounting tab to the block, then you just pull the tube up and it comes out of the block. make sure you take a mental note of its location before removal though.

i guess the one on my 98k mile motor is a *bit* siezed.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:53 AM
On The Tree

great. just one more thing i have to worry about .. thanks for info i haven't even see what ur talking about so far but im sure i will lol
Old 12-14-2004, 03:02 AM
That's what she said...

the mounting tab for the tube is bolted to the HEAD not the block, sorry. its right up by the top, a 15mm bolt. you shouldnt be worried considering your car is an 02, it should pop right out.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:05 AM
On The Tree

thanks a bunch, prolly would have tried to pull the manifold after the bolts were loose from the bottom and just kept tugging tell it broke..
Old 12-14-2004, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

To answer one of your questions, yes the oil pan gasket is reusable. Just look over it to make sure there are no tears or something. Also use RTV on the front where it bolts to the front cover and maybe on the back corners of the pan to prevent leaks. It is possible to pull the pan without dropping the k-member completely. I had to pull the pan a few months ago. I used a special bar that goes across the shock towers to pull the motor up a bit, and then loosened the bolts so that the k-member could drop some. This allowed me to get away without having to disconnect all the steering/brakes lines. Also, be sure to torque the pan bolts right. There are some smaller bolts that are torqued to in/lbs so be careful. The tq. specs are on the cam install how-to. Good luck man!
Old 12-14-2004, 11:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wait so the dip stick it stuck in the tube? how long is the piece stuck in there? all you have to do is pull out the whole dip stick tube. like said above 15 mm bolt and pull it up. if the headers are off this will be really easy. and you just have to wiggle it back in the hole to put it back in. if the piece it longer than a foot long that broke off i dont knwo why your freakin out so much. lol i hope this is the case though cuase it takes nothign to fix it
Old 12-14-2004, 12:59 PM
That's what she said...

ws6firebird - the dipstick isnt stuck in the tube, the end of the dipstick tube itself is broken off where it goes into the motor.

the dipstick tube has a shoulder on it, then right below the shoulder there was an o-ring, it broke off at the o-ring. i was able to get the o-ring out, and the rest of the tube is still in the hole. if we have to drop the k-member, im putting a tubular one back in lol.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ahhhhhhh i see now well damn that sucks then sorry to hear. why not go tubular kmember, sounds like a good excuse to me lol
Old 12-14-2004, 04:49 PM
That's what she said...

lol it is a pretty good excuse, i may have to order me one if we have to drop the pan.

question : if i have the tranny out, can i pull the pan w/out dropping the k-member? i was pulling the tranny while i had my exhaust out to diagnose some problems, it looks like i will be able to slide the oilpan back with the tranny out enough to clear the k-member.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
lol it is a pretty good excuse, i may have to order me one if we have to drop the pan.

question : if i have the tranny out, can i pull the pan w/out dropping the k-member? i was pulling the tranny while i had my exhaust out to diagnose some problems, it looks like i will be able to slide the oilpan back with the tranny out enough to clear the k-member.
Wouldn't it be a problem putting it back in though? That is why I took mine out when I replaced it.

Quick Reply: welcome to my nightmare