Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Ford GT: Quality is job #1.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 05:28 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ford GT: Quality is job #1.

Job #2 is PUTTING OUT THE FIRE.

Ford will quietly notify dealers who have 2005 GT models in their inventory that they may not drive, demonstrate or sell the vehicles until two recalls are performed. According to a Ford memo, representatives from Ford will contact GT owners individually and instruct them "not to drive their vehicle under any circumstances."

In the first of two recalls, Ford will inspect the fuel system of all GTs made from 13 October 2004 through 19 November 2004. Some of the Ford GTs may require the installation of a new fuel tank.

The second recall to be issued will be safety related due to defective suspension control arms. The safety recall will include all GTs made from JOB1 (30 June 2004) through 11 December 2004. According to a Ford memo, "Ford has identified a quality issue with the suspension control arms on the affected vehicles which may adversely affect vehicle handling in the event of a control arm fracture. In the event a customer does not seek service for the diminished handling concern, a crash potentially could occur." Replacement parts should be available to dealers by 01 February 2005.

According to sources, Ford may issue a future recall to replace the rear engine exterior cowl cover due to alleged cracking issues. A BlueOvalNews article published on 07 September 2004 alleged that the cylinder heads on the GT may be defective, however, no such defects have been reported.

These recalls may garner (either fairly or unfairly) more negative media attention toward Ford for several reasons. First, the GT is supposed to represent Ford's best build and quality efforts - this is Ford's total image product and, second; Ford (like all domestic brands) is already under immense scrutiny for their product quality.

Ford has manufactured 470 GTs from 30 June 2004 to 11 December 2004 at the Wixom, Michigan Special Vehicle Center.
Merry Christmas. Here's your $2,500 note. See you in January

Last edited by BadAndy; 12-22-2004 at 05:34 AM.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Well when your buying a car with the level performance of a Ferrari for half the cost your going to have to expect a few things that Ford is going to do to save on price…..

Like a gas tank that wont catch fire or suspension that wont collapse under its own weight.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd still take it before any other supercar under $250,000.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:40 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

At least they're fixing it.....it's not like it's the first car to ever have a recall.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GoldenVelvet
Well when your buying a car with the level performance of a Ferrari for half the cost your going to have to expect a few things that Ford is going to do to save on price…..

Like a gas tank that wont catch fire or suspension that wont collapse under its own weight.

But it's still $150K, there should not have been that many problems with a car like that. This is something I would exspect from Ford. I think I've hated them since I was like 6.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:32 PM
TECH Addict

I think one recall is bad and more recalls are terrible. IMO I will continue to dream of Lamborghinis. After all the Gallardo is closer to my range than a Mercielago... (just a dream)
Old 12-27-2004, 10:30 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First year run , there's always bugs the first year. For 150K , they better fix 'em!
Old 12-27-2004, 11:31 PM
Ginger Hater

So far on the list, we have:

Fuel System
Suspension Components
The Engine Cowl
Cylinder Heads

Replacement parts should be available to dealers by 01 February 2005
Ford GT owners will not be able to drive there cars for a month until these recalls are fixed.

The other painful thing is for the dealers that have these in their inventories, that they will be sitting their for a while, and its going to cause alot of negative debt as the year changes over.

First, the GT is supposed to represent Ford's best build and quality efforts - this is Ford's total image product
Im not a Ford enthusiast, being a person that has been screwed by Ford's quality, this shows exactly how their quality is, even in a limited production "supercar" they can't get itr right.

Ford (like all domestic brands) is already under immense scrutiny for their product quality.
Fords been under this for 30 years. But all domestic co. are feeling the force of designing a better built car. Chrysler is becoming a better built car since they bought Mercedes Benz.

-jon
Old 12-28-2004, 02:44 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Spazdout
Fords been under this for 30 years. But all domestic co. are feeling the force of designing a better built car. Chrysler is becoming a better built car since they bought Mercedes Benz.

-jon
HAHAHAHA.

You wish. It was a supposed to be a "merger" but everyone knows that the Daimler-Benz half of DCX is running things around Auburn Hills. It's obvious that Chrysler and Co. are doing the bitch work while Merc uses the income to expand its recockulous line of AMG products.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:01 AM
Ginger Hater

Originally Posted by bruddah_man_matt
HAHAHAHA.

You wish. It was a supposed to be a "merger" but everyone knows that the Daimler-Benz half of DCX is running things around Auburn Hills. It's obvious that Chrysler and Co. are doing the bitch work while Merc uses the income to expand its recockulous line of AMG products.
True, i've only seen a couple cars directly effected by the merger, and those are all Chryslers, but Dodge & Jeep haven't had any head way.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Spazdout
Chrysler is becoming a better built car since they were bought by Mercedes Benz.
Fixed.

Quick Reply: Ford GT: Quality is job #1.