Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did you know that a C5 can't have a.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 07:22 PM
TECH Addict

Location: sojourning....looking for my city whose builder and maker is God.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Did you know that a C5 can't have a.....

3500 or higher TC or it will cause the tranny to over heat and crash? We were told by two highly recommended tranny guys that you shouldn't run over 2500 stall, even with a tranny cooler. Anyone have any REAL experience with this? Or why this would be different then an Fbody?
Old 12-22-2004, 07:31 PM
Banned

News To Me.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are they talking about LT1's?? The only reason they usually use/suggest a 2500-3000 stall is because the power band is a bit lower than LS1's. BTW the vettes use a 4L60E just like every other A4 f-body. They are prolly old school builders.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lady Redhawk
3500 or higher TC or it will cause the tranny to over heat and crash? We were told by two highly recommended tranny guys that you shouldn't run over 2500 stall, even with a tranny cooler. Anyone have any REAL experience with this? Or why this would be different then an Fbody?
OMG I'm doomed!
Old 12-22-2004, 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by AK's WS6
Are they talking about LT1's?? The only reason they usually use/suggest a 2500-3000 stall is because the power band is a bit lower than LS1's. BTW the vettes use a 4L60E just like every other A4 f-body. They are prolly old school builders.
It's a 2001 w/ the LS1 and it is built. His tranny is now toast, it had been over heating and that is their explanation as to why. He is not hard on his car either, not nearly what I do to mine . I have told him there are a lot of C5s running around with 3500+ stall converters with no trouble, I am looking for some back up on this. He thinks he has to go with a smaller stall or even back to stock. What do you all think? Some facts to give him would be nice if those with experiance with Corvettes would share. Thanks
Old 12-22-2004, 08:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BADFNZ
OMG I'm doomed!
lol
Old 12-22-2004, 10:03 PM
10 Second Club

****- all of that tcc slipping **** and then the guy's trans went out... i hope mine doesn't do the same thing. now im scared...

oh- i know somebody who runs a 3800 tci stall with no problems on a heads/cam low 11 sec. vette (year- 2000 i believe). his trans is also built so who knows...
Old 12-22-2004, 10:59 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BADFNZ
OMG I'm doomed!
haha, j/k, I have an fbody so I'm safe
I can't see why it would make any difference if its a fbody or corvette. His problem is something other than the size of his stall. Most tranny builders will tell you not to use a high stall. Hell, even speed shops have told me my 3800 is way too big. My tranny has not overheated once since I've had my converter, not even close(180 the highest). I do have a large cooler though. I guess some places just havn't caught up with the new technology.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's not the first 4L60 to bite the bullet. It doesn't matter what car it is in, it's just not a tough tranny stock.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A lot of shops also don't know tuning can be done to accomidate a larger stall. Normally anything over a 3k converter might cause a TM problem w/o any tuning.
Old 12-23-2004, 01:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I've had 5 different converters now and the current one is by far the biggest (supposed to be a 4200 but feels ALOT bigger, more like a 4800) and I haven't had any problems besides the converters themselves breaking. There's no difference between how the C5 and F-body transmissions function, except that one uses a torque tube and one doesn't. As long as you keep your fluid at the right level and monitor the temp, you'll be OK.

Tell your tranny builder he's full of **** and take your car somewhere else.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Lady, they are mistaken. Highly recommended doesn't mean highly knowledgeable. I have been running 3.73+SY3500 in my C5 for nearly three years now. I regularly beat the snot out of it. I only use low temp stat and fan control temps for cooling, have dinked with line pressure a smidge, but tranny is otherwise stock and hasn't ever so much as whimpered. Knowing the A4's track record, I have been worried that it'll let go the whole time. It hasn't. You'll find many more examples at CF. They do go, quite quickly, at elevated power levels but a converter alone won't do it in.

Based on your posts elsewhere I'm inclined to think the converter was not installed correctly initially (i.e. should never have left the shop with "vibration") and the rest of your issues are secondary.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-23-2004, 09:50 AM
Launching!

Yes i have experience with this. The C5's have a additional slip sensor which detects any additional slippage over stock. The computer then adds extra line pressure to alleviate the unknown tc slippage and then the self destruct mechanism is on the way. The car will shift so hard so fast you'd think the rearend dropped out of it. Anyhow, this literally ate up a yank 3000 in mine which mike senia of yank said he'd never seen one destroyed so badly. To make a long story short, you have to edit out or turn off this sensor with ls1 edit and you'll never have a problem. I've had several tc in mine after the yank with no problems whatsoever.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Dave00C5
The C5's have a additional slip sensor which detects any additional slippage over stock.
Exactly what sensor would that be? The only two sensors relevant to measuring tranny related rotational speeds are the crank position sensor and the VSS.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Fbody transmissions also have an internal rpm sensor, Its how the pcm detects tcc slip. My guess is that w/o tuning the c5 pcm over reacts more than the fbodys.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:22 PM
TECH Addict

The C5 did have tuning. The low rmp misfire was changed and the line pressures was in creased a little, more at WOT that part throttle. Shift points were rasied a bit too. Bascily the same tune that was done on several fbodies with the same TC.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SmokingWS6
Fbody transmissions also have an internal rpm sensor, Its how the pcm detects tcc slip. My guess is that w/o tuning the c5 pcm over reacts more than the fbodys.
So what is the name of this "internal sensor"? I am aware that the F-body uses a tailshaft VSS whereas the C5 uses one in the diff. In either case the PCM only has VSS and engine speed as inputs and has to work out the difference. Guessing how things work doesn't help anybody solve their problems...
Old 01-08-2005, 07:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Didn't think so...
Old 01-08-2005, 08:20 AM
11 Second Club

That's not the first 4L60 to bite the bullet. It doesn't matter what car it is in, it's just not a tough tranny stock
that is a ridiculous statement! that is why there are guys running 11's and a couple of 10's on a stock tranny?!? it matters how you tune your car, you cant just throw that bad boy in there and expect it to last forever! once you start modding one thing you also have to move on, but if you dont, then you need to start tuning! that is why we have such a great advantage having the 4l60e. you can tune the **** out of it. and that is why alot of trannies just bite the dust... not adequate tuning
Old 01-08-2005, 08:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ToplessTexan
Didn't think so...
Thanks for your help Topless!
UPDATE:
Tranny has been rebuilt...(3rd & 4th clutches were toast). New Yank SS3600 TC. NO vibration! No more over heating. No issues at all. The car is running AWESOME!! Again, thanks everyone for your replies and help.