Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

May sound like a dumb ?, but can you spray the transbrake?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 03:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question May sound like a dumb ?, but can you spray the transbrake?

Just curious, cuz I know the tranny can handle the power, and it would make for a sick *** launch cuz of all the power and the converter stalling higher!!! I just don't know if it's ok for the motor spraying it standing still like that, but not sure! What would or could happen? Anyone ever do it? Is it possible?
Old 12-27-2004, 03:40 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ummm..i'm not a N20 or tranny expert, but i'm pretty sure by logic most people if not all have the brake and the nitrous wired together in a way that as the brake releases the N20 activates. just a guess though. how close did i come guys in the know?

Dave
Old 12-27-2004, 03:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by PRAY HRD
ummm..i'm not a N20 or tranny expert, but i'm pretty sure by logic most people if not all have the brake and the nitrous wired together in a way that as the brake releases the N20 activates. just a guess though. how close did i come guys in the know?

Dave
Well yeah, that's what I was planning on doing as soon as I work out my leaning out issue and can start to spray, but was just curious if you could actually spray the transbrake, cuz it would make for a sick launch if you could, ya know?!
Old 12-28-2004, 10:19 AM
TECH Regular

man i would really love to hear if someone has tried this. me and my bro have been talking about trying that for years on his 93 camoro...never had the ***** to do it though. when your spraying like 500hp through a $30k engine and a $5k trans...it takes some ***** that would be sick to launch on all that though. Cuz i watch video of the car in slow motion and even though the nos is activated the instant the tbrake button is released, it is surprising how long it actually takes to come on. very interesting topic
Old 12-29-2004, 08:56 AM
TECH Regular

ok...i was talking to a friend last night who said he's tried this. it is a mid 8sec mustang with a glide. he said it made the car leave WAY more violent...had to get out of it. he said it felt like it left with 200 more hp.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ya I wouldnt do that. And I understand the more violent launching. I mean ur suspension is setup for one thing then u shoot something like a 200 shot at it and ur launching with MORE than 200 lbs of torque. The cars just not ready for that.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WhtLT1
Ya I wouldnt do that. And I understand the more violent launching. I mean ur suspension is setup for one thing then u shoot something like a 200 shot at it and ur launching with MORE than 200 lbs of torque. The cars just not ready for that.
how is it different than a blower car that is at full power on the tbrake?
Old 12-30-2004, 10:14 PM
12 Second Club

Excellent point (never had a transbrake but brake torquing my 89 Turbo TA was the way to launch), if the tires don't go up in smoke and the car tracks straight, give it a shot (no pun intended).
Old 12-31-2004, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sure it can be done. Just make sure the parts are up to the task. Your engine is going to be hit with a huge torque spike then stick at the new extended stall speed until you let off the brake. FWIW I have thought about trying this too! Maybe later though, when I'm ready to build another engine!
Old 01-01-2005, 05:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Believe "next" does this on his glide. Pushes in transbrake after stagging, slams the gas - which activates the nitrous, and than launches.

ME on the other hand, I have a two step involved. I have a 4200 stall on a TH-400. After staging, press in T/B, which activates the 2-step, which deactivates the nitrous. Release the T/B, de-activates the 2-step, and activates the nitrous. I have the 2-step set at 4000rpms. Not to bad of a launch. Best 60' and 1/4 times are in my signature.

David