Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need an exhaust change...unhappy

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 02:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need an exhaust change...unhappy

Ok guys...I am happy with the performance of my following:
Bassani Offroad-Y
Quicktime Cut
Stock SLP dual-dual

...but I am unhappy with the sound. It sounds great at 3-4.5k but any lower I get a raspy sound which I hate and really want to get rid of....any higher and I also get a raspy sound. I would rather go back to some type of cat so I am Cali legal, get rid of the rasp completely, get a little deeper tone, and keep my HP (see sig). Is this possible...any good combo's out there? I dont really mind keeping it catless w/ my bassani y, but I think its causing most my rasp BS! My old cats are f&*&ed and need to be replaced in 2 years when I smog so maybe two birds w/ one stone. I know the SLP dual-dual is suppost to be one of the best performers out there, is there anything equal or better?
Any help would be great guys...thanks!
Old 01-07-2005, 02:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I thought the dual-dual had a near stock level of output. Is the rasp with the cutout open or closed? Stock manifolds have a dirty/raspy sound especially with a cutout open. Best way to cure that is some long tubes. In my opinion they sound much cleaner.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Long tubes with true duals. Best sound I have heard.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZR2877
Long tubes with true duals. Best sound I have heard.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:46 AM
On The Tree

From what I understand the SLP Dual-Dual, slp otional one, has some of the best output or is the aftermarket dual-dual different? The rasp is with the cutout closed...a little with it open, but it is soooo freggin loud you cant really hear anything...sounds great but tooo loud for normal driving.
Cant do LT's or true duals and still be CA smog legal, not really into tearing car apart every few years for smog.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:48 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe a Catted-Y to reduce the rasp?
Old 01-07-2005, 11:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im running a Dual-Dual muffler (stock otherwise) Z and the sound IMO is great...not too loud but deep and loud enought to tell I mean business....sound more "mechanical" less like a truck... nothing worse IMO than a LS1 rolling buy that ound like a huge truck
Old 01-07-2005, 12:35 PM
On The Tree

So...if I keep the dual dual...and the ORY...how do I loose my rasp w/out loosing my power or ground clearance? I was also thinking it could be the thin walls of the bassani ORY and lack of cats...has anyone wraped these w/ some header wrap to dampen them a little? Is there a good solution to loosing the rasp?
Old 01-07-2005, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can add a bullet style muffler like the Dynomax in your I-pipe, that should reduce/remove your rasp.

Old 01-07-2005, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

So I should throw of them on after my cutout? How big is diam are they? Will it chop the good sound also...it is a muffler.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

After the cutout would be good, you can get them in several different sizes but you will want the 3" inside diameter one (4" outside I think). You can get it in a 12 or 18" length. It shouldn't reduce your volume much, but it should cut out the rasp.

Here's their site: http://www.dynomax.com/race.stm. Click the link for Race Muffler specs (pdf).
Old 01-07-2005, 10:21 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by chev4life
So...if I keep the dual dual...and the ORY...how do I loose my rasp w/out loosing my power or ground clearance? I was also thinking it could be the thin walls of the bassani ORY and lack of cats...has anyone wraped these w/ some header wrap to dampen them a little? Is there a good solution to loosing the rasp?
I have tons of experiance with ORYs on LS1s. I went through many systems/setups on my old WS6. Let me tell you, the Bassani Y-pipes are actually some of the least rasping ones avaliable, and they are not any thinner metal than stock.

Basically, you will always have some amount of rasp when using any type of "Y" pipe without cats, even on the stock catback.

Since you need cats anyway for CA testing, I'd say keep what you've got and get some bullet cats (like Random Techs or Magnaflows) welded in, that will totally remove the rasp.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

go for GMMG. LT's/ORY/GMMG is one of the nicest sounds i've 'heard' on an LS1, one of the least rasping catbacks available i think. a little pricey tho.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
go for GMMG. LT's/ORY/GMMG is one of the nicest sounds i've 'heard' on an LS1, one of the least rasping catbacks available i think. a little pricey tho.
i have kooks lts/ catted y and gmmg and there is absolutley no rasp. and when you get on it, everyone knows about it. I LOVE IT.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:30 AM
On The Tree

I had a 2002 Ram Air with heads and cam. It also had longtube headers with a corsa catback and a catted y-pipe. It dynoed 398hp at the wheels with cats.Took it to ls1speed to get a custom tune and made 402hp without the cats baseline. After all was done they finally got 411hp at the wheels. But as you can see I only picked up 4hp at the wheels taking the cats off and it was very rapsy! Sounded like a log truck with open headers! My suggestion is to put cats back on and lose the rasp because I had none until I took them off. You will also lose all the gas fumes you are probably smelling also.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:06 AM
On The Tree

I picked up 12rwhp when putting the bassani ORY on...not sure if it was just because of the no cats or the because of the better y-pipe. Anyone dyno just the smog y compared to the ORY? The rasp is really only bad at certain RPM's but it happens to be at around 2k is the worst and thats roughly freeway traffic RPM. LTs are out of the question cause of cali, but I like the bullet cats could work....where is a good place to get them? Should I just pick up a Y with them and sell the other one?
Thanks for all the help and ideas.
Old 01-08-2005, 05:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq

How loud is this set up inside the car when driving on the freeway and just normal cruzin'?
Old 01-08-2005, 06:19 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by chev4life
I picked up 12rwhp when putting the bassani ORY on...not sure if it was just because of the no cats or the because of the better y-pipe. Anyone dyno just the smog y compared to the ORY? The rasp is really only bad at certain RPM's but it happens to be at around 2k is the worst and thats roughly freeway traffic RPM. LTs are out of the question cause of cali, but I like the bullet cats could work....where is a good place to get them? Should I just pick up a Y with them and sell the other one?
Thanks for all the help and ideas.
I bought two Random Tech bullet cats from Speed Inc about a year ago, http://www.ls1speed.com/catagory.cfm?catagory=exhaust . It's a little pricey but I think you can find Magnaflow cats cheaper at some other sponsers. I just personally feel that the RTs are better quality, but some people swear by the Magnaflows as well.....

On a stock motor, you won't lose much power at all going to a high flow cat setup. I would keep the better flowing Bassani Y-pipe and just have these welded in.