Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newb header question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 10:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Newb header question...

Can you put cats on a LT ORY setup? I'm worried about getting pulled over and getting a huge fine for not having them. Right now I am running headers with a loudmouth. It sounds so awsome but I know a muffler needs to go on soon or I might be getting pulled over. I know that there are cated y's but isn't that for a mid to shortie setup? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:59 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are catted Y-pipes for LT's.
You can also purchase two hi flow cats and have them inserted to your ORY by an exhaust shop.

TSP, QTP, many others have them------->
Old 01-10-2005, 11:11 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
There are catted Y-pipes for LT's.
You can also purchase two hi flow cats and have them inserted to your ORY by an exhaust shop.

TSP, QTP, many others have them------->
Does anybody have any pictures of this done? Thanks for the help FL.02.SS.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:11 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Go with TSP catted-Y. It fits well and is very affordable, plus TSP is a great sponsor.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:29 AM
12 Second Club

I wouldn't worry about it, I have TD with an X-Pipe dumped at the axle with Bullets for a year now and never been pulled over for it, and it is LOUD

Dan
Old 01-10-2005, 11:49 AM
TECH Addict

you could also swap the reso for a borla....the tone will change and it might be muffled as well.

Also, i wouldnt worry so much about it....remember, LT headers arent street legal anyways....

but if you must.....there a few like stated before ot you can fab. your own piece.

the TSP cattedy-pipe is good. Also the QTP catted is also good. Personally, dont worry about it until, which is unlikely and unfortunate, you get pulled over and fined for it.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:12 PM
TECH Regular

Smile Thanks Fellas

Thanks Fellas for the replies I really appreciate it. I like the sound of the headers going through the loudmouth. I don't get a raspy sound. It is a very deep low rumble. But HOLLY COW is it LOUD What's really fun is to gradually work up to about 3500 rpms and then punch it

As far as the police go, I guess I just have to kind of see what happens.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:37 PM
Launching!

I cut up my old MAC ORY (which is actually designed to attach to the stock exhaust manifolds) and used it to make a catted Y for my LT's - I don't see why you couldn't do the same with an ORY designed for LT's. My only out-of-pocket was $120 for a pair of new Carsound cats off E-bay. This is much cheaper than buying a catted Y and I would recommend it unless you want to be able to switch between the catted and ORY.

Also, the cats will quiet the exhaust some and remove the rasp - I believe you will be happier with the sound with the cats in.

Steve
Old 01-10-2005, 02:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by schultzsj
I cut up my old MAC ORY (which is actually designed to attach to the stock exhaust manifolds) and used it to make a catted Y for my LT's - I don't see why you couldn't do the same with an ORY designed for LT's. My only out-of-pocket was $120 for a pair of new Carsound cats off E-bay. This is much cheaper than buying a catted Y and I would recommend it unless you want to be able to switch between the catted and ORY.

Also, the cats will quiet the exhaust some and remove the rasp - I believe you will be happier with the sound with the cats in.

Steve
What do you do about the rear O2 sensors? Do you still need sims or tuning?
Old 01-10-2005, 03:26 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

I'd say you could have bungs for the rear O2s put in, or you could use sims or eliminate them altogether with tuning.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by -Q-
I'd say you could have bungs for the rear O2s put in, or you could use sims or eliminate them altogether with tuning.
These are indeed your three choices - I needed tuning to adjust coverter lock-up points so I got the rear O2s removed at the same time.

Simms are an option but they are somewhat expensive and are very un-reliable in my (and other's) experience - you can find yourself having to buy more every year.

I am not sure if locating the cats farther back with LT's would throw a code if you install rear O2's sensors - perhaps someone that has tried can chime in. If you want to use them I have seen the bungs that you can weld in for sale somewhere but I don't remember where. You could try our sponsors, the major exhaust component manufacturers, or general parts places such as Summit or Jeg's. You could also cut them out of your old, stock exhaust and use them if you still have it.

Steve
Old 01-11-2005, 05:44 PM
KJ
TECH Enthusiast

I have Kooks stainless headers and the Y pipe with high flow cats in stock. I also have a few sets of Dynatch complete stainless systems in stock that also include cats. PM me for pricing!!