Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here is another "advice on cam" thread!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 11:41 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam guy's.. I need a lil help choosing.

I am wanting to put a cam in the car and I don't know what to go with. I don't know anything about a cam and I have never owned a cammed car. So I hoping to get some suggestions and input from you guys. The car is a daily driver and I don't have to worry about emissions. I would like good power throughout the power bad. I am wanting to put down 400 to the wheels with cam only. Currently I put down 326rwhp 365rwtq. The car is a '00 WS6 M6 and here are the mods: 6.0L, SLP Lid, SLP MAF, SLP Smooth Bellow, SLP 160 Thermostat, K & N Filter, Mac Performance Header System & Mac Y-Pipe, SLP Loudmouth Exhaust. Thank you in advance for any help/input!

Last edited by blue00WS6; 01-14-2005 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice numbers given the mods that you have...that torque looks damn good. First of all, a lot in terms of camming your car will depend on whether you have an automatic or manual transmission. Driveability and idle is a little less of an issue with manual cars. Honestly, 400rwhp shouldn't be as hard to hit with 6.0L as compared to stock displacement, so there are a LOT of cams you could go with. Did you want low-end torque, strong midrange, or top end power? Very different applications that use very different cams. Offhand, I'd say to go with an FMS F13. It is a great cam for stock heads, makes great power throughout the RPM range, good power under the curve, and nice peak numbers. Or you could do what I did and go bigger than that. I have a fairly new cam, the TSP 233/239. While not a massive cam, it's still pretty big and makes nice torque on stock displacement (350+ rwtq above 3000 rpm), as well as nice peak numbers. Hopefully this helps a little, let me know what tranny you have and what you're looking for and I'll help you to the best of my ability.
Adam
Old 01-14-2005, 12:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bull99ls1
Nice numbers given the mods that you have...that torque looks damn good. First of all, a lot in terms of camming your car will depend on whether you have an automatic or manual transmission. Driveability and idle is a little less of an issue with manual cars. Honestly, 400rwhp shouldn't be as hard to hit with 6.0L as compared to stock displacement, so there are a LOT of cams you could go with. Did you want low-end torque, strong midrange, or top end power? Very different applications that use very different cams. Offhand, I'd say to go with an FMS F13. It is a great cam for stock heads, makes great power throughout the RPM range, good power under the curve, and nice peak numbers. Or you could do what I did and go bigger than that. I have a fairly new cam, the TSP 233/239. While not a massive cam, it's still pretty big and makes nice torque on stock displacement (350+ rwtq above 3000 rpm), as well as nice peak numbers. Hopefully this helps a little, let me know what tranny you have and what you're looking for and I'll help you to the best of my ability.
Adam
First off, Thank you for you help. My car is a manual. I do have stock heads and I would like to keep it that way. I would like the car to be a cam only car (for now). I would like to have a little of all 3 (low-end torque, strong midrange, or top end power) if that is possible!
Old 01-14-2005, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blue00WS6
First off, Thank you for you help. My car is a manual. I do have stock heads and I would like to keep it that way. I would like the car to be a cam only car (for now). I would like to have a little of all 3 (low-end torque, strong midrange, or top end power) if that is possible!
In that case, I stand by my recommendation of the F13, one of the best cams on the market. Makes torque a bit lower than my cam and pulls all the way through the RPM's.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bull99ls1
In that case, I stand by my recommendation of the F13, one of the best cams on the market. Makes torque a bit lower than my cam and pulls all the way through the RPM's.
but with this cam, will I put down 400? What about the other cam you were referring to? what kind of performance would come of it? Is it better to give up a little more low end torque for more hp?
Old 01-14-2005, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

The F13 consistently puts down over 400 on stock heads, especially on M6 cars, and definitely on am M6 with a 6.0. Should be around 415-420 I'm guessing. You could also look into a Thunder Racing TR230, TSP MS3, MTI X1 or Y1, or the time-tested G5X2/G5X3 cams. These are all excellent cams, and the TR230 and X1 are 'reverse split's with the intake duration larger than the exhaust, which works pretty well with stock heads. The MS3 is a BIG cam (237/242), the Y1 is pretty big (234/240), and the G5X3 is also a large cam (specs are classified). Any of these would get your over the 400 mark, with the larger cams putting you well over that. However, if you want your power to be more spread out, a big cam might not be the best choice. One more does come to mind though, the TSP Torquer. Simply an awesome cam, has put down 410+ rwhp on stock heads/stock c.i.d. and has over 300 lbs/ft at 2500 RPM. That may be a good choice as well.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:52 PM
Launching!

wow... there are alot of cam's to choose from. what is the difference between a 112 lsa and a 114 lsa cam?
Old 01-14-2005, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blue00WS6
wow... there are alot of cam's to choose from. what is the difference between a 112 lsa and a 114 lsa cam?
That's not even all of them....Hmm, how to explain this. A 112 LSA (LSA = Lobe Separation Angle) will have a slightly rougher idle but produce more midrange power, where as a 114 LSA will idle more smoothly but not be quite as powerful in the midrange area. For a manual, 112 is a better choice IMO.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

Just the thread I was looking for, awesome! What cam or couple cams to chose from to use with the AFR 205s 62-66cc, all the bolt ons, m6 and 410 gears. dont relly care about idle quality want lots of power and also godd torque range. thanks for the advice in advance.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NO5.0
Just the thread I was looking for, awesome! What cam or couple cams to chose from to use with the AFR 205s 62-66cc, all the bolt ons, m6 and 410 gears. dont relly care about idle quality want lots of power and also godd torque range. thanks for the advice in advance.
Great heads to use...wish I had a pair. For that, I'd still go with a medium cam to preserve midrange torque, however, a lot of the cams I mentioned are meant to work best with stock or mildly worked heads. The AFR's, especially the 205cc's, way out flow either application. The cams I listed would work with those heads, however a custom grind would be the best way to get the most out of those heads. I would call Allan @ Futral Motorsports first, or you could contact Jason @ Texas Speed and Performance (check the sponsor list to the right---->), either of them should be able to get you something that would best fit your needs. That said, if you're REALLY stuck on staying with an 'off the shelf' cam, you still can't go wrong with the FMS F13 or even F14, MTI Z1, MTI Y1, TSP Torquer or the TSP 233/239, of course I'm a little partial to that last one. I have to go to work in about 10 mins., however I can answer a few more ?'s tonight. Good luck guys.
Adam
Old 01-14-2005, 03:48 PM
On The Tree

thanks bull99ls1, what kind of power could i expect from the tsp 233/239 and the AFRs and every bolt you can do? Also can i keep the stock lifters but with roller rockers and new pushrods? longer pushrods?
Old 01-14-2005, 03:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default 2 Completely Different stories...

Between N.O. & Blue00, there are 2 completely different sets of requirements.

There are NUMEROUS help guides with FAQS & tips out there. Use them. Absolutely no shame in doing a little homework. >After< you've read as much as possible, then start getting your head around what you want in a cam.

Basic: http://www.compcams.com/Technical/TimingTutorial/

A little more advanced (free download: right mouse click, etc, as intructed): http://www.motionsoftware.com/minigide.htm

Blue00: I'm gonna state an absolute: YOU CANNOT get to 400rwhp with a cam that is friendly to the *entire* rpm range and is suitable for a daily driver. To get 400rwhp (with just a cam) requires a lot of time w/ the valves open (valve overlap), which means HIGH, HIGH, HIGH rpms. I would suggest you find a local F-body group that has members w/ cammed cars. Listen and ride in those cars, if possible. Bound to be several groups around Dallas. Even though Houston is far away, call MTI www.motorsporttech.com They're very helpful. Also suggest you call the Comp Tech line www.compcams.com

N.O.: You aren't far from Clinton Township. http://www.automotiveperformance.net/ Your requirements are a little easier. Lots of power: Go 224/228 @112LSA. Nice lopey idle. Go Comp Extreme. Will need tuning. She'll run like a raped ape from 2500-6500rpms. Make sure you do all the necessary valvetrain strengthening upgrades.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would imagine you could hit 450 with that cam and those heads.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

SSINFUL, APPRECIATE the advice, your right clinton twp is my neighbor an i know where automotiveperformance is but didnt know they were ls1 technical. Ill check them out. do you think the 233/239 dosent lay down as well as the 224/228? springs w/the 224?thnx
Old 01-14-2005, 04:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

g5x4 cam........that cam will out do all others
Old 01-14-2005, 04:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NO5.0
SSINFUL, APPRECIATE the advice, your right clinton twp is my neighbor an i know where automotiveperformance is but didnt know they were ls1 technical. Ill check them out. do you think the 233/239 dosent lay down as well as the 224/228? springs w/the 224?thnx
It's just that I'm a little older and more "conservative" than some. IMO, a 233/239 wouldn't be as "street-friendly" as I'd like.

I do several dozen runs a Summer at the strip, but mostly the ability to romp it on the freeway, stoplights and onramps is more important to me. A 233/239 needs some room. If yer spending lots more time at the strip than street, and will do ALL that is necessary to fully recover what that big of a cam can deliver, then go for it.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

Lots of different opinions? luv2spd I was looking for 450- 500 at the wheels but want a good torque range. Maybe u cant have both? All i want is to run like a "raped ape" like ssinful said and put a spanking on my buddies (03 cobra w/pulley gears and intake) If a wider torque range lets say b/t 2500-6500 is faster or run better than a peak cam thats my route, but I want it to run!!!!!!