Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anybody running lt's, ory w/ cutout and stock catback?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 12:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anybody running lt's, ory w/ cutout and stock catback?

this is the setup i plan on soon, pacesetters, tsp ory, and elec. cutout with the stock cat-back (so it is quiet while just cruising and keep the car more sleeper)

im guessing welding is going to be required, but im more concerned about the sound of it with the cutout closed. i DON'T want it loud till the cutout is opened
Old 01-16-2005, 02:21 AM
TECH Resident

check out QTP's camaro. they have lts ORY through an SLP TOTL. when it's closed it's really really quiet. open it screams. a stock exhaust would sound similiar maybe a little louder than that i would think.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

I have Kooks 1 3/4 SS and their ORY mated to a stock TA catback for now, and its barely louder than stock. Lane did some work to make the used y-pipe work(it had been cut previously) and w/the open y, my car was one of the loudest cars I've ever heard. Now with it all bolted together, its quiet again. Lane said its the quietest LT-only car he's ever heard, cats or no cats(and I have an ORY).
Old 01-16-2005, 06:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had that setup....very very quiet and very very loud. No real happy medium.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:55 AM
10 Second Club

im glad to hear it isn't much louder than stock with the stock cat-back. hopefully that will mean when the car is cammed you won't really be able to tell either, but that is a whole other conversation. if i want it loud and nasty i just open the cutout so no problems there, if i want to take a girl out to dinner or surprise some unsuspecting mustangs it is still nice and docile sounding.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

er, sleeper....I think with a F13 or F14 you'll definitely be able to hear it when it goes in my car, regardless of the exhaust However I've been lookin for a good catback, b/c while I LOVE the sound of the GMMG w/an ORY I dunno if that will be too much or not. Guess we'll find out soon enough!
Old 01-16-2005, 12:29 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ynkssws6
check out QTP's camaro. they have lts ORY through an SLP TOTL. when it's closed it's really really quiet. open it screams. a stock exhaust would sound similiar maybe a little louder than that i would think.
Stock exhaust is even quieter than the TOTL, I too have the amazing QTP high velocity merge collector long tubes with QTP 3" ORY into a bone stock Z28 catback along with the ultra convenient QTP electric cut out: VERY quiet and streetable when capped, barely louder than my old stock manifolds/cats.
But uncapped? Umm, LOUD, but it sounds SO sweet and that open cut out really does add power over a stock cat back, or any cat back for that matter.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:57 PM
SDB
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have FLP 1 3/4 headers, FLP ORY, FLP 2.5" Y pipe, flowtech cutout with QTECH, and stock rear SS exhaust....I like it alot. quiet and loud within 4 seconds. Can still hear cam, but not nearly as loud as a stock car with Borlas.
Old 01-16-2005, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im planning to do the exact same thing as sleeperstyle. All I need yet is the electric cutout. Does anyone have any sound clips of this? I checked on LS1sounds, but could not find the exact combo.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:06 PM
10 Second Club

sound clips just don't do it for me, i'd rather ask somebody since it is very hard to judge off of my little 2" computer speakers. i heard a car with the setup that im gonna do, but i think it had some exhaust leaks so it was louder than it needed to be.

the cam im set on is around a 231-237 tsp cam, but like i said that is a WHOLE other conversation. if it is obvious i don't really care, and if the car is quiet it really won't be that obvious.

good responses btw. the setup is not all that cheap (like 800$ after shipping) but i can't swing 800$ for headers, whatever for ORY, and whatever for cat-back or 400$ for true duels. too much $ imho. i paid like 800$ TOTAL for my last car's 3" mandrel bent turbo-back exhaust with nice muffler, but it was uncoated mild steel...
Old 01-16-2005, 04:12 PM
11 Second Club

i run like that.... i have QTP HVM headers ORY with a QTEC cutout and stock muffler..

i really like it... quiet when i want too.. and crazy loud when need it to
Old 11-01-2005, 10:31 PM
TECH Resident

Did you guys have to do any welding to get the QTP y pipe to fit with the stock catback?