Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

First Kill in my Z06

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 10:33 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default First Kill in my Z06

I raced a 911 Twin Turbo Porche yesterday. MY buddie and my self were on are way to the gym when an older guy in a new 911 Turbo pulled up. We were out in the country on a 4 lane HWY. I thought I would lose but said screw it lets see how I do. Before we raced the the guy rolled down his window and we talked for a quick minute. He was a cool guy but very cocky. He asked me what my Hp was. I told him I was all stock and rated at 405 hp. He laughed and told me I should have bought a porche as he had 20 more horsed than me.
Well a quick hit of the button and tracktion control was turned off. I had a killer reaction with him being a little slower. But the AWD in that porche kickes ***. By the end of first my nose was just behind his rear bumper. Luckily I appeared to be much better at shifting. Hit 2nd and I started to pull up on him. My 2nd to 3rd shift was beautiful and I continued to inch by him. I went all the way to 150 before shutting down. I had maybee half a car length on him. Once I was in third I just continued to inch away. I never ran away from him but I was suprised that I beat him at all. Those Twin turbos are fast and I figured I would get slautered off the line. This Z06 stock hooks alot better than my Camaro or 03 Cobra ever did. I just love my new car. I cant wait to add some HP to this beast and get it to the track.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:59 AM
12 Second Club

The Twin Turbos only have 425 HP??? That doesnt sound right...

edit - I stand corrected. for some reason I thought they had well over 500.. sorry

Good Kill!!
Old 01-18-2005, 11:15 AM
Launching!

I thought so to before I talked to the guy. That is why I thought I am going to get my *** handed to me. When he said I have 20 hp on you I thought I have a chance. I am also going by what he told me, as the car looked sick and was brand new but I am not familiar enough with porche's to tell by looks if it was a twin or just the regular 911.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Nice kill!

I "used" to love the look on the owners of the exotic cars when they realize they got whipped by a car that costs as much as their seats!
Old 01-18-2005, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Awesome kill. I love just seeing exotics let alone getting to run them.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

he told you to spend 6 figures on a car that only has 20 more hp??? i forget what they cost but you could mod the hell out of a z06 for the price he paid... well it;s not all about power, those 911s are sweet. just funny how since he had 20hp u should have bought his car.. tell him he should have bought a viper/ferrari/lambo

i guess those extra 20 horses were sick when you were racing!
Old 01-18-2005, 02:38 PM
11 Second Club

nice nice kill... go get u some timeslips now!

so u like hte z06 compared to ur 03 cobra as far as mods and future plans go? ive been debating either one instead of my beloved 02 z28 i got new, think ill just keep it as a 02 z06 or 03 cobra would prolly still run me more $$ then 19k hehe.

wish i had a car that would pull twinturbo exotics bone stock lol, i got to flip up the n2o switch prolly.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:16 PM
On The Tree

Congrats on the kill! It's nice to see someone switch from the darkside! What made u get the Z06? My dad has one and he loves it. I was thinking about one, but still out of my price range. Plus not enough leg room for clutch.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

Nice kill on the TT Porsche.

You guys are so lucky...I can never ever find cars like that to race down here. I'm lucky if I can come across an occasional Z06.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nice kill! I got an 02 ZO6 with AFR heads, Comp cam and LG LTs.
With this combo in the car it made 410 to the tires and about 480 -490 at the crank. These results were done on a very conservative dyno. I'm sure another 30-40HP could be found in a 90mm FAST intake, T body and larger injectors installation.
I feel this combo produced a decent bang for the buck (well under the price of a super charger and install with much more reliability). It beat my friends 486RWHP 03 Cobra by a car and a half, took out an 02 CBR600, took out an 02 6spd SS with 125 shot and DRs, modded STIs, modded SRT4 with NOS and DRs, even punked a $400,000 Bentley GT (v12 twin turbo 500HP) and a 04 Viper RT10 at a red light (when they heard the cam and exhaust ) A Porsche is the least of my worries, I had my friends turbo'd CRX give me a hard time on the street (CRX runs 10s at 130+ at the track ) it pulled on me in 4th.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:28 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ZMC_Racing
nice nice kill... go get u some timeslips now!

so u like hte z06 compared to ur 03 cobra as far as mods and future plans go? ive been debating either one instead of my beloved 02 z28 i got new, think ill just keep it as a 02 z06 or 03 cobra would prolly still run me more $$ then 19k hehe.

wish i had a car that would pull twinturbo exotics bone stock lol, i got to flip up the n2o switch prolly.
I loved the Cobra. And in a strait line in was incredible. For a $1000 you had an 11 second car. But the Z06 is on another level. First just in the looks department it cleans up on the cobra in my opinion. It runs just as good in a strait line. And the cornering is unreal. The Z06 handles so much better it is stupid. And to top it off for some reason my insurance is cheaper. After driving both I would get the Z06 hands down every time. The Z06 feels like an actual super car where the cobra is a fast car that you dump a ton of money into to get that lowered fat rimed look. So if you like the looks of a Cobra over a Z06 and you just like going strait the Cobra is your car. Oh BTW I paid $34,000 for my Z06 used with 11,000 miles on it. The Z06's have come down alot in price with the new C6 out. It is a good time to buy one.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:31 AM
Launching!

I cant wait to get it to the track. I am trying not to start modding it until I can see what kind of times I will pull bone stock. I am already trying to pick out what cam and long tubes I am going with.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:01 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RB185AFM
I cant wait to get it to the track. I am trying not to start modding it until I can see what kind of times I will pull bone stock. I am already trying to pick out what cam and long tubes I am going with.
just think if you didn't have your buddy in the car with ya. you would of probably had a full car and possibly two on him.

Nice win!
Old 01-19-2005, 05:36 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet kill. You made the guy eat his words.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:49 PM
TECH Veteran

What was his reaction after?
Old 01-19-2005, 08:13 PM
Staging Lane

very nice kill story robert......but the blackdeath is out for you now!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-19-2005, 10:43 PM
Teching In

I have a 99 TA WS6 that is now parked. I sold a house and had planned to dump quite a bit of money into the WS6. Talking with a local speed shop, for right at 20k I would get 650 to the rear wheels and the drivetrain to hold it. I got to thinking about it, and came to the realization that if i ever decided to sell that car, I wouldn't be selling a 650hp land rocket...i'd just be selling a TA WS6, and would never get my money out of it at the end of the day.

So...I put a down payment of 20k on an 02 Z06. I've never even looked back since. When you said the Z06 was a whole new level, you weren't exagerating a bit. Believe it or not, but the Z06 rides better and handles bumps better I think than the TA did. I just created this account, so don't have mods for the sig yet...but i'll put them here:

BBK headers
High Flow Cats
Borla Exhaust
780cfm Throttle Body
Cold Air Induction (K&N twin filter type)
Stillen Rotors
Hawk Pads
Coolant Bypass

I take it to the Dyno on the 5th of Feb to see what I'm putting at the tires. It had these mods when I bought it, so I'm not sure if it had a tune or not. I will say this though, that TA doesn't have squat on this Z06. I had some bolt on mods done to the TA, nothing super. Exhaust, lid, program, etc. That Z06 flat out hauls ***** though compared to it. And the handling is unreal in comparison. Lots of interior drone though from the exhaust since there is little sound dampening material. Only bad thing, well, two bad things about it. I can't see through the windshield of the car in front of me (have to drive defensively in heavy traffic), and I'm now very particular as to where I park it. Can make for a long walk across the parking lot sometimes.

Do I have any regrets about getting the Z06 instead of doctoring up the TA....none at all.

For those of you that have never driven one before, I recommend you do. Its one thing to ride in it...its a whole other experience to get behind the wheel and see how it feels, even at normal traffic speeds.

I'm hooked.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by AmMscl
Nice kill! I got an 02 ZO6 with AFR heads, Comp cam and LG LTs.
With this combo in the car it made 410 to the tires and about 480 -490 at the crank. These results were done on a very conservative dyno. I'm sure another 30-40HP could be found in a 90mm FAST intake, T body and larger injectors installation.
I feel this combo produced a decent bang for the buck (well under the price of a super charger and install with much more reliability). It beat my friends 486RWHP 03 Cobra by a car and a half, took out an 02 CBR600, took out an 02 6spd SS with 125 shot and DRs, modded STIs, modded SRT4 with NOS and DRs, even punked a $400,000 Bentley GT (v12 twin turbo 500HP) and a 04 Viper RT10 at a red light (when they heard the cam and exhaust ) A Porsche is the least of my worries, I had my friends turbo'd CRX give me a hard time on the street (CRX runs 10s at 130+ at the track ) it pulled on me in 4th.
That must be a VERY small cam, 410 is really low for a heads/cam/bolton Z06.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by E.O.D.
I have a 99 TA WS6 that is now parked. I sold a house and had planned to dump quite a bit of money into the WS6. Talking with a local speed shop, for right at 20k I would get 650 to the rear wheels and the drivetrain to hold it. I got to thinking about it, and came to the realization that if i ever decided to sell that car, I wouldn't be selling a 650hp land rocket...i'd just be selling a TA WS6, and would never get my money out of it at the end of the day.

So...I put a down payment of 20k on an 02 Z06. I've never even looked back since. When you said the Z06 was a whole new level, you weren't exagerating a bit. Believe it or not, but the Z06 rides better and handles bumps better I think than the TA did. I just created this account, so don't have mods for the sig yet...but i'll put them here:

BBK headers
High Flow Cats
Borla Exhaust
780cfm Throttle Body
Cold Air Induction (K&N twin filter type)
Stillen Rotors
Hawk Pads
Coolant Bypass

I take it to the Dyno on the 5th of Feb to see what I'm putting at the tires. It had these mods when I bought it, so I'm not sure if it had a tune or not. I will say this though, that TA doesn't have squat on this Z06. I had some bolt on mods done to the TA, nothing super. Exhaust, lid, program, etc. That Z06 flat out hauls ***** though compared to it. And the handling is unreal in comparison. Lots of interior drone though from the exhaust since there is little sound dampening material. Only bad thing, well, two bad things about it. I can't see through the windshield of the car in front of me (have to drive defensively in heavy traffic), and I'm now very particular as to where I park it. Can make for a long walk across the parking lot sometimes.

Do I have any regrets about getting the Z06 instead of doctoring up the TA....none at all.

For those of you that have never driven one before, I recommend you do. Its one thing to ride in it...its a whole other experience to get behind the wheel and see how it feels, even at normal traffic speeds.

I'm hooked.

I agree. You need to drive one to understand.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

The Comp cam 224 .581 114 is the cam in question. The cam came highly recommended form Tony at AFR for its driveability and reliability on the street (not to mention easy on the valvetrain), besides I think alot of people (shops) exaggerate dyno numbers anyway. 12.6@118 with 2.2 60' letting off in 1st and 2nd (traction hop was terrible) is decent for the combo (produced the same HP as a Magna Blown Z and more torque.... with a better power band) .The car ran a 12.6@114 stock without traction hop issues.
On the street with a Gtech I pulled a 12.2@122 without any tracion hop issues....for what its worth
All the work was done at Andy's(A&A Corvettes) shop in Oxnard for under 5000 and you can take off another 1000 for the LS6 heads and cam I sold.
I haven't done any other bolt-ons yet, so there is alot more to be had I'm sure.